2TB XBOX (1TB F & G Partitions) issue with FatX Limits

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
browsebot

2TB XBOX (1TB F & G Partitions) issue with FatX Limits

Post by browsebot »

Background: I installed a 2TB HDD on an original XBOX without issue. The XBOX is softmodded, and I boot into the UnleashX dashboard. The C & E partitions were standard, and the F & G partitions were equally divided for a total of approximately 1TB each. I was able to add applications (XBMC, etc), games, and multimedia to the F & G partitions without issue. The partitions were formatted with the correct cluster sizes (64K clusters for F & G).

Problem: After putting over 500GB of apps, games, and multimedia on the F drive, I received a "Copy Error 3" while copying files to the F drive internally on the XBOX. None of the pre-existing data on the drive was corrupted or missing like when you use an incorrect cluster size during a partition format...the partition just wouldn't take any more. I read that the Copy Error 3 is due to FatX limitations on how many files/folders can be on a single partition. The FatX limitations that were in the post I read are below for reference.

Question: Using a 1TB F partition, I was only able to fill about 500+ GB before I hit the FatX file/folder limit and the partition wouldn't accept any more files. So in order to not have the other 500+ GB wasted because the partition won't accept any more files due to the FatX limit, is it possible to add additional partitions beyond F & G?

For example, what I would like to do is something like:
Partition Size
F: 500GB
G: 500GB
H: 500GB
I: 500GB

So by using 4 partitions with an even split of 500GB (instead of 1TB), I could likely fill each partition to near full without hitting the FatX file/folder limit per each partition.

Does anyone know how to have the XBOX recognize extended partitions other than F & G? I can format additional extended partitions using XBPartitioner, but the XBOX only recognized F & G. I also went into XBMC, and even XBMC would not recognize all 4 extended partitions.

Any help with this? Thanks.

FatX Limitations:
• 4GB / 4096 Megabyte 4294967296 bytes Max file size
• 42 characters for file names (there are also a bunch of characters not supported , accepted ones are limited to (that includes spaces)
(DVD's do not have the same limits and don't use FatX)
• A maximum of 240 in total folder depth (thats a folder inside a folder inside a folder inside a folder up to 240)
• A maximum of 240 folders/files in each folder (thats a flat limit)
• A maximum of 4096 files/folders in a single root folder (this is the grand total of files that can be stored in any single root sub folder)
• Cluster sizes supported = 4 KB (0x1000 bytes, 0x8 sectors per cluster), 8 KB (0x2000, 0x10 SPC),16 KB (0x4000, 0x20 SPC), 32 KB (0x8000, 0x40 SPC), 64 KB (0x10000, 0x80 SPC)
spicemuseum

Re: 2TB XBOX (1TB F & G Partitions) issue with FatX Limits

Post by spicemuseum »

browsebot wrote:Question: Using a 1TB F partition, I was only able to fill about 500+ GB before I hit the FatX file/folder limit and the partition wouldn't accept any more files. So in order to not have the other 500+ GB wasted because the partition won't accept any more files due to the FatX limit, is it possible to add additional partitions beyond F & G?

For example, what I would like to do is something like:
Partition Size
F: 500GB
G: 500GB
H: 500GB
I: 500GB
AFAIK this is a BIOS limitation which cannot be overcome. The partition table can contain details for seven partitions only (A -> G) and no more.

Regarding your problem. Which version of XBPartitioner did you use to set yuor partition sizes?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

You must have a cluster size issue. I and many others had this problem, and as long as you use XBPartitioner 1.3 you should have good luck.
keropi

Post by keropi »

I had a similar problem with a 1.6 xbox and M8 F-ONLY bios: a 500GB HDD would crap out after filling ~320GB in a single F: setup. Used 32kb clusters with xbpartitioner 1.3 .
I just flashed F+G M8 bios and made 2 partitions, it worked fine. My xecuter3 xbox works fine with a single F partition and 500GB , go figure... :roll:
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

In the bios and stack the sector count pointer count is 32bits wide so the biggest number it can store is 4,294,967,295 * 512 bytes per sector = 2.199 TB

Also the processor is only 32 bit capable so to make the pointer 64bit you would have to use the overflow and carry flags and preform the maths on half of the data at a time slowing down calculations in the bigger sectors when the carry flag shows the need to computate the msb of the sector count.
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

I got xb partitioner 1.3, it has been in my apps next to xbmc and dvd2xbox

I got xb partitioner 1.3 working good with a 320gb hard drive by some trial and error

I have not used xb partitioner 1.3 in a very long time since I just clone my 320gb hard drives

I remember reading that you can loose data if you do not do the correct cluster size for partitions over 500gb or larger

maybe the xb partitioner 1.3 is set to automatically select the correct cluster sizes for 500gb

I don't know, I hope it does not take me to long to get it right if I ever decide to go larger than 320gb, only thing I remember about the xb partitioner 1.3 was that it was very easy to make a mistake until you get use to using it, which is probably what will happen to me again, I know there are guides about how to use it but I remember I was reading the guides and it still took me a while to understand and I know since it has been over a year than now there is no way getting around having a small war with xb partitioner 1.3 again soon

I also do not know what it means when I hear someone say a 1.6 xbox

I have been sticking with 320gb because everytime I buy hard drives on ebay for modding xbox the most bang for the buck is the 320gb

update...

I found this about 1.6 xbox http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2199

I really do not care as long as it is not something preventing me from stocking up on original Xboxes and then later finding out that I can not softmod them but after reading thru part of that thread I do not think I have anything to worry about with 1.6
xman

Post by xman »

XbPt 1.3 is all you need. It is pretty much fool proof as it displays if the cluster is the wrong size. Your biggest issue with a 2TB HDD will be getting an adapter that actually works with the Xbox. May I suggest you look though this forum at the adapters others have used and grab one of each, they are only cheap and don't pay more than a couple of dollars each for them or you are being ripped off. As for value for money for a HDD and you say a 320GB, I pick up 2TB sata HDDs here for $75 brand new. A 2nd hand, as they haven't made them that small for a number of years now, 320GB, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for that and really, as it is 2nd hand, is likely to be faulty anyway.
A few golden rules using XbPt,

1 - Only use it on F and G drives.

2 - Don't have anything you want to keep on either of these drives, ( most importantly, your booting app), because it won't be there after you use XbPt, you will be left with a empty drive after using it on that drive.

3 - Always check using the EvoXDash method that the clusters are actually correct although this step isn't really important when using XbPt 1.3 because you can simply exit from the XbPt 1.3 app and re-boot back into it and it will tell you straight away if the clusters are indeed the correct size for the drive.

4 - Fill up one of the drives to a level over 460GB and see if you are loosing data

5 - Until the HDD is about 1/3 full, don't be alarmed by very long cold startup times. Some HDDs can take up to 40 seconds before the startup screen appears while others are immediately at the 12 second, ( what I regard as exceptable on a sata/ adapter combo once it's over the 1/3 limit capacity level).

6 - Try to fill the empty partition in order. Like copy all your movies in one hit into there folder rather than doing bits and pieces to different folders because this little step will make your machine respond much smoother over it's life. You can't avoid this when the HDD is several months old as you delete and add stuff but you can make it perfect from day one at least. Half the reason the machine becomes sluggish is because portions of data as scattered all over the HDD, (fragmented), after it has been in use for a while. As the Xbox doesn't have the ability to "Defrag" the HDD like a PC, just starting out with as little fragmented files helps. I try to "rebuild" my HDDs in Xboxes yearly or when they start to slow down and simply reload the same data back on only this time doing all the data in each folder in one hit and it is amazing how much snappier the machine becomes without doing anything else to the machine.
Good luck and stick with your 2TB. It is worth it. :D
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

i also think you should keep working on setting it up with your 2tb, i never meant that you should do what i do

i only think 320gb is good because i buy and sell Xbox's

randomly over time i have seen 320gb ide are about $15 to $20

250gb ide are about the same price maybe just a little bit cheaper

500gb ide cost a lot more than what i can pick up the 320gb ide for, prices might change years from now but that is another story

i have tried 1 sata adapter when i first started modding original xbox but i was not able to get it to work, i am glad to hear xman say get a adapter that works, because i thought i must of done something wrong but i probably just needed to try a different adapter

i have got a bunch of 2tb's and other large hard drives but i feel no need to try them and buy another adapter at this time but i will always be keeping a eye on the prices and it is just a matter of time probably not too far in the future

but for now i am not thinking of anything larger than the largest ide which i think is 750gb but that just depends on prices, i have no idea what 750gb ide price is compared to 1tb 3.5 sata but i think ide will probably only go up in price and the sata will go down in price

but yes i really need to look at those prices, 3.5 sata 1tb's might be going for $50,

maybe i should look into doing this tomorrow, but first i need to get a adapter working

i will be doing larger very soon probably 500gb ide and 1tb with a adapter maybe even 2tb, since i started writing this message i kind of talked myself into it