XBMC for children

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
LudviG

XBMC for children

Post by LudviG »

I want to set up one of m xboxes at my sisters house loaded with childrens movies so the kids have an alternative to dvds and tv.

The kids often do stuff they are not supposed to, because they dont understand it. So therefore i ask, what would be the best way to set up a xbox for the kids. Is there any skin that are harder to accidently do stuff they should not? In that case, what kind of setting. Could i make one user account that cant do some of the stuff?
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
Xphazer

Re: XBMC for children

Post by Xphazer »

Give xTV-SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) a try, thats what my 6yo daughter is using for over a year without any trouble. :)
You can also manage lot of stuff with profiles /master lock.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settin ... aster_lock
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

LudviG wrote:I want to set up one of m xboxes at my sisters house loaded with childrens movies so the kids have an alternative to dvds and tv.

The kids often do stuff they are not supposed to, because they dont understand it. So therefore i ask, what would be the best way to set up a xbox for the kids. Is there any skin that are harder to accidently do stuff they should not? In that case, what kind of setting. Could i make one user account that cant do some of the stuff?
Not a solution but it might help - pick a skin that allows start-up in the videos screen.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Still not tried it yet but how about the parental controls script? Not even sure it works on Xbox but possibly worth trying. If you use the new a4x installer you'll find the appropriate repo when you browse through the unofficial repositories.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I will look more into this later, i am a busy bee :P

I tried fiddling a bit with xTV-SAF and masterlock. It seems to do the trick for me, not sure yet though. I was supposed to try Dragon earlier, but for some reason i dont need to post here i will not.
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

whufclee wrote:Still not tried it yet but how about the parental controls script? Not even sure it works on Xbox but possibly worth trying. If you use the new a4x installer you'll find the appropriate repo when you browse through the unofficial repositories.
a4x installer? Please explain
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

A4X Installer, check this link out. Consider it still at a "testing" stage as a few of the addons aren't working but most are. The guys have been working really hard on this and I don't think it will be too long until it's the official installer that comes pre-installed with the builds.

EDIT: Hold on, I just checked that link and really that is only for development! Just install addons4xbox installer by using the SVN Repo Installer > Passion Repo > Plugins > Programs
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

If anyone else is interested in this, i will share my setup. I think it came out pretty nice.

I used the xTV-SAF Skin

First i set up everything the way i wanted it, a second user account for the kids and one for master user. Then I removed most of the main menu items, deactivated the "Views" meny in movies after setting the viewmode i wanted. This made it very minimalistic and the kids cant do anything wrong when i activate the masterlock.

The masteraccount can do everything off course, but it is passworded.

The main menu:

Movies menu:

Then i set up masterlock on the main account. Even though i removed the Main Menu items, i also locked music, pictures, programs, filemanager and settings in the masterlock settings. Under the kids profile i set media info and sources separate from the master account.