XBMC Fatal Error: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
yellowsnow4free

XBMC Fatal Error: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml

Post by yellowsnow4free »

Ok, I have managed to mess up my softmod less than 12 hours after doing it :P

Here's what I'm getting when I boot up my Xbox:

XBMC Fatal Error:
special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, Line 0
Failed to open file

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Starting FTP server...
FTP server running on port 21, login: xbox/xbox

Press any button to reboot

I tried FTPing to the above IP but it wouldn't connect.

I believe the problem is with the evoxdash file in the E drive. I deleted it and then tried to replace it with the xbmc dash file (renamed)

Can anyone help me?

People online have mentioned using an Auto Installer Deluxe (AID) disc to fix this; will this work?

Thanks!
whufclee

Re: XBMC Fatal Error: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xm

Post by whufclee »

HeXEn would be a better choice in my opinion. Watch my softmod video guide (you really only need part2 now you've got this far). That said try this first..

You may find you can still ftp in and copy over a new build, when booting up hold down the white and yellow buttons on the gamepad and this should hopefully load up the recovery mode where you can ftp. I think it has to be an original microsoft xbox controller to work and not a third party one.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I think that is running in Error Recovery Mode, but you can try to push the White + Y combo at startup, see if it works any better.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Error_Recovery_Mode

If you want to boot directly in XBMC4Xbx you should replace the evoxdash.xbe with the Team XBMC Shortcut .xbe (+ .cfg file) to point to an XBMC that's installed somewhere else. If you replace it with XMC4Xbox's default.xbe it will obviously miss the other files, unless of course you just dump them in the root of the drive next to the .xbe, but you probably don't want...

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Instal ... mmended.29

As a side one, once you get the shortcut tool setup correctly, you can use this plugin in the future for easy upgrades:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=88
yellowsnow4free

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I tried holding white + y on boot and it still brings up the Fatal Error menu (which is what it's supposed to do).

Still no luck with FTP either :(

I just burned an AID 4.53 lite disc at 4x write speed onto a CD-R; didn't work either. Not sure if that has something to do with the write speed, but it just brought me to the Fatal Error menu again.

I'd like to add that my Xbox can still boot games no problem.

I'm looking into HeXEn now, but I really want to go the AID route if I can.

Would burning it at a lower speed onto a DVD-R be a better option?

EDIT:

I just tried burning AID 4.53 lite onto a DVD-R at 1x write speed (said 4x while burning though) and it worked! :D

I used DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.53

Now I should be able to FTP and reinstall the soft mod :)
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

HeXEn will do a better job of setting everything up and it's safer than AID, however AID will do the job perfectly fine. The reason it wasn't working the first time was most likely due to the media, different brands of CDs/DVDs work with different xbox drives. Verbatim DVD-R work with every DVD Rom on the xbox so that's what I always suggest - some xboxes don't like CDs at all.
yellowsnow4free

whufclee wrote:HeXEn will do a better job of setting everything up and it's safer than AID, however AID will do the job perfectly fine. The reason it wasn't working the first time was most likely due to the media, different brands of CDs/DVDs work with different xbox drives. Verbatim DVD-R work with every DVD Rom on the xbox so that's what I always suggest - some xboxes don't like CDs at all.
I just used AID so I could put the softmod files back on my Xbox.

Then I booted up SID, removed the softmod, and then reinstalled.

Seemed to work fine :)

It's nice having a recovery disc in my arsenal now though; at least if I mess something up again I won't freak out as much :P

Thanks for the replies everyone! :D
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Just for future reference, HeXEn will do all that for you - there's no need to use two seperate discs. Also if you encounter any problems with your dash reverting back to stock when trying to play a game (this has happened in the past) you'll think "damn why didn't I use HeXEn" - it makes it impossible for xbox software to alter your dash ;)

Glad you got it sorted, having a copy of HeXEn/SID/AID/Slayers lying around is a must when you have a softmod.