FTP problems some files transfer other dont

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Rocky5

Re: FTP problems some files transfer other dont

Post by Rocky5 »

I haven't a clue why Filezilla doesn't work, it sometimes doesn't detect the correct directory structure & when transferring thousands of files it starts arsing up after a while, haven't a clue why or how it just does.

Installed FlashFXP & not had one issue since. So it's a Filezilla issue or a combination of Filezilla + specific dashboard.

Either way, FlashFXP works so will stick with what works.

Note, FileZilla was used on windows 7 & 8 both had the issues above, when I used to use XP I never had an issue.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
byron

Post by byron »

+1 for Flash FXP...been using it to do this since I started.
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

is there a free version of flashxp
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Rocky5 wrote:FileZilla was used on windows 7 & 8 both had the issues above, when I used to use XP I never had an issue.
That's interesting. I have a 32 bit Win7 installation and I have no problems on that machine. I don't have a 64 bit Windows machine, but do I have both 32 and 64 bit Linux installations which have no problems.
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

filezilla feels heavy dont know why i have windows 7 64bit most of the time it gives me problems
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

spicemuseum wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:FileZilla was used on windows 7 & 8 both had the issues above, when I used to use XP I never had an issue.
That's interesting. I have a 32 bit Win7 installation and I have no problems on that machine. I don't have a 64 bit Windows machine, but do I have both 32 and 64 bit Linux installations which have no problems.
Both were 64bit windows installations, XP was 32bit.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Perhaps we're getting somewhere.

A quick question to Mr Google, and a search of the Filezilla forums, reveals no obvious general complaints about 64 bit Windows interactions.

Exactly what failure mode do you typically see, Rocky?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

spicemuseum wrote:Perhaps we're getting somewhere.

A quick question to Mr Google, and a search of the Filezilla forums, reveals no obvious general complaints about 64 bit Windows interactions.

Exactly what failure mode do you typically see, Rocky?
Failure mode? Not sure what you mean by that.

But I will say this.

Filezilla can work for weeks, months perfectly fine & then suddenly start acting up, ie, not showing the proper directory tree (C time & date) & if you double click these malformed directories they do nothing. (You can how ever just type C, E eg... Into the address bar & then everything works untill you go to the root again)

Also files stop transferring or fail to often, again like above it can be fine for weeks or months.

FlashFXP has no such issues & just works, it maybe because it's a paid product & shit has to work I don't know, it could be that Filezilla doesn't like UnleashX or XBMC again I don't know, all I know is one gives me issues at random intervals, aswell as other users & the other works without a hitch.
(Also when these users switch to FlashFXP the issues vanish)

Would also like to make a point this is only on the Xbox this happens, I use the Emuextra FTP server & had no issues with Filezilla.

I think it could be a combo of UnleashX/XBMC + Filezilla, as these are the two dashboard I use most & both can get the issues listed above.

When I was doing the 2014 Softmod I had to move back to FlashFXP as Filezilla kept giving me the malformed directories & transfer issues, I was using UnleashX (v584) as my dash, for obvious reasons.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

new problem flashxp makes my internet sometimes slow or and drop connection i have optic fiber internet everyting is with cable connected cat6a
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Rocky5 wrote:Would also like to make a point this is only on the Xbox this happens, I use the Emuextra FTP server & had no issues with Filezilla.

I think it could be a combo of UnleashX/XBMC + Filezilla, as these are the two dashboard I use most & both can get the issues listed above.

When I was doing the 2014 Softmod I had to move back to FlashFXP as Filezilla kept giving me the malformed directories & transfer issues, I was using UnleashX (v584) as my dash, for obvious reasons.
Wacky.
Doubly so since Unleashx (I think) and XBMC (for sure) use Filezilla Server libraries.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Ive never had anything nice to say about windows and this pretty much sealed the deal. If you want to use Filezilla:

Step one, get an operating system (linux) :D

Step two, install filezilla.

Step three, enjoy little to no issues with it.

(dont take this the wrong way, I just really despise windows)
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I would suggest you use wireshark and set it to capture the fault when it happens.

Set the program up to catch all traffic for the mac address of the xbox.

Just to see if there is any errors lost packets or interference from your router etc.

have you tried with a direct cable correction and see if it fears better ?.

I can vouch that evox dash seems to slow down on specific files when transfering from a pc (using filezilla in my case), if i pause the que load up xbmc and continue on with the transfer que it speeds up dramatically.

I use xbmc as it seems to be the most stable it may not be the fastest but it works the best.

Some times i find if i transfer a large amount of files it starts going slow so I pause the queue reboot and start the queue again and it resumes full speed again.

have you tried running the program with administritive rights and checking the security of the files that fail to transfer ?.
nidge

Post by nidge »

I've just had an update to filezilla, there is now a 64bit version.
In Evox if I restart the server, it seems to speed things up?
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
SlickStretch

Post by SlickStretch »

Don't forget about character limitations. FATX doesn't support a lot of symbols. Like the curly braces. {}
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've just used filezilla to transfer a 60gb emulator file using the unleash x ftp client wirelessly from my laptop to the xbox both connected to a bt home hub .
Quite a few files failed but I just re q ed them and they all went the second time :-)
It did take 9 hours to transfer mind :0)
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

I had issues with Ftp transfers on an Xecuter 3 box years ago. After installing large files things started to go bad, Flashfxp refused to load certain files, the xbox would even shutdown
when I left it for a few hours transferring. It wasn`t the standard long filenames or shutdown setting. X3 Live Config was to blame, it has a setting to over ride partition settings
that I was setting using Xbox Partitioner 1.3, by default. My clusters were always "ER" and not 64k or 32k after a reset. Holding the white button on boot up with an xecuter 3 usually
boots to this menu, it has some handy options to help recover a bad install, ftp from the chip etc. It may not be the reason for bad transfers mentioned but its still worth knowing as
you dont want to find this out the hard way getting a corrupt box after investing time and effort filling a large drive.
mr.homebrew

Post by mr.homebrew »

I got similar errors copying a massive 16 gig 84000 file package to my orginal xbox. After many attempts with multiple FTP clients I later found that the files that would not copy where trying to copy to folder that had reached 4096 files.

I'm guessing the 4096 files must be a limitation of the xbox's file allocation table, the xbox itself, or the mod... Not really sure, but if your xbox is failing to transfer, this might be something to look for.

I eventually got the files to the system by splitting up the few folders that had over 4k items before transferring to the xbox.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

That is correct, FATX has a few limitations as it was designed for narrow use by developers (games) not for consumers.
http://free60.org/wiki/FATX#Limitations

Usually an FTP client shows and logs the errors (e.g. FileZilla does in the message log section, either at the top or as a log in red). If any type of timeout that is due to a network problem, not connect IP or too many connections at the same time (configurable btw) etc. Any other type of error about not being able to write or could not find after a create or whatever usually is about the limitations like characters allowed for folders and files, filename or path too long, or too many entries, all documented, but unfortunately maybe not so well reported by the XBMC4Xbox FTP server.