XBMC error 1073741772 when attempting to connect via SMB

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
benis

XBMC error 1073741772 when attempting to connect via SMB

Post by benis »

So all today I've been setting up XBMC on my original xbox with UnleashX, and after a few hours of sifting through decade-old forum posts and troubleshooting I'm at my wit's end. I want to use a folder via SMB as a video source, but every attempt at accessing it results in error 1073741772, saying that the share is unavailable. At first I thought the issue was that the IP addresses weren't set right under Network settings, and after some tinkering the XBMC media renderer and media server appear under the Network tab of Windows' file explorer. However, this did not fix the issue. I double-checked all of the possible things to do regarding permissions: making a user called "xbox" with the password "xbox," setting sharing privileges to "everyone," disabling my firewall, setting it so all subfolders get the same permissions as the one folder I wanted to share, and even turning off simple file sharing in favor of attempting to enter it manually as per the wiki (which returned another error on top of that, saying the server name was incorrect, which happened both when I put in my computer's IP as the server address and when I put it's actual name [e.g. DESKTOP-XXXXX] in the same field). For reference, I'm on Windows 10, so I'm also a bit lost given that most guides are for Windows 7 and below. Any advice is welcome, and I can link any posts I followed.
professor_jonny

Re: XBMC error 1073741772 when attempting to connect via SMB

Post by professor_jonny »

You need to disable password protected sharing.
you must be logged in with a microsoft account, unless you do a registry hack (I dont know if this is still the case).
you must set the security settings on the share so you have acces to it.
benis

Post by benis »

professor_jonny wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 am You need to disable password protected sharing.
you must be logged in with a microsoft account, unless you do a registry hack (I dont know if this is still the case).
you must set the security settings on the share so you have acces to it.
I disabled password protected sharing, and as far as I know my admin account is connected to a microsoft account, although it is still a local user. I made the folder to share as open as possible: every user is allowed to access it, etc. but still XBMC can't access it.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Can you connect with another windows computer ? as the firewall in windows can block it even if everything else is ok.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Make sure SMB 1.0 is enabled as I know Kodi has issues if it’s not. Well it used to 🤷‍♂️
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
benis

Post by benis »

professor_jonny wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 am Can you connect with another windows computer ? as the firewall in windows can block it even if everything else is ok.
I was able to connect with my Mac just fine, and funny enough the Apple documentation provided some good insight on how the pathing works that I may have been missing before. I basically followed the instructions they used there for connecting through XBMC and it worked.
Rocky5 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 pm Make sure SMB 1.0 is enabled as I know Kodi has issues if it’s not. Well it used to 🤷‍♂️
I turned this on when I tried again but I have no idea if it made a difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.