repairing corrupted softmod

General discussion relating to XBMC4XBOX. Please use the support forums for help on using the software or plugins.
Kingfish999

repairing corrupted softmod

Post by Kingfish999 »

softmodded my xbox like 10 years ago. decided to pull it out cause im feeling nostalgic. powering it up it has XBMC on it but it just shows the splash screen and freezes with the flashing opentray button. im assuming something is corrupted and needs to be fixed. the problem is im not really sure how to do it anymore and i dont think i even have a computer with an IDE port. the good news is im 99% sure i have the HDD key written down inside the xbox.

assuming my old shop computer still has IDE ports, is what do i need to do to actual replace the old version of XBMC? not sure if i need to unlock the HDD or not, im assuming i dont need to hotswap it since i have the key. is it as simple as dragging the new files to replace the old?

are there any cheap hardware mods that are actually worth doing to the Xbox? my understanding was since the games are optimized for the original hardware, anything additional doesnt help. but for running thirdparty stuff like XBMC and such i imagine it helps. or is it not worth the hassle?

i remember there use to be a place to get ISOs for xbox games, not sure if it is still around or not. i imagien playing off HDD is faster than CD, and would be nice to not need my CDs since my original games are scratched pretty bad and my Halo 2 has a crack. i dont even remember if you can play off the HDD or if you have to burn to a DVD.

are there any good emulators for NES and N64? played my old NES and N64 last weekend, the NES is a real pain to get the games to work but does work and the N64 controllers are very worn and i forgot how unegronomic they are
OliveHarmon

Re: repairing corrupted softmod

Post by OliveHarmon »

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem:

Check the HDD key: Since you mentioned that you have the HDD key written down, that's great. The Xbox HDD is locked using this key, and you'll need it to access the data. You don't need to hotswap the HDD since you have the key.

Connect the Xbox HDD to a computer: If you have a computer with an IDE port, you can connect the Xbox HDD to it using an IDE-to-USB adapter or an IDE cable if your computer has an IDE port. Once connected, you should be able to access the Xbox HDD.

Backup your data: Before making any changes, it's a good idea to back up your existing data on the Xbox HDD, including the XBMC installation and any game backups you have.

Replace the XBMC installation: Obtain the latest version of XBMC (now called Kodi) for Xbox. You can find it on the official Kodi website or other reliable sources. Copy the new XBMC files to the appropriate location on the Xbox HDD, overwriting the existing installation.

Disconnect the Xbox HDD and reconnect it to your Xbox: Once you've replaced the XBMC files, safely disconnect the Xbox HDD from your computer and reconnect it to your Xbox. Power it on and see if the freezing issue is resolved.
If you want to find your own entertainment applications , you can refer to the Getmodnow website here, which is safe and free.
Kingfish999

Re: repairing corrupted softmod

Post by Kingfish999 »

i ended up having to do a fresh install and got it to work tho i lost progress on everything. of course the HDD key i wrote down had 1 wrong character so i had to do everything from scratch.

still playing on it every other week or so