BackUp Game Saves On Boot Script, Any Advice?

Discussion of plugin / script development for XBMC4Xbox
sirkingchase

BackUp Game Saves On Boot Script, Any Advice?

Post by sirkingchase »

I am tired of my 3 year old deleting/overwritting our game saves. Ill play a game with him and we will get far into a game, only to come pack the next day and find its gone... It was cute the first couple of times but now I need to create a solution to prevent having to play the same levels 10 times.

Are there any special libaries that I am confined to? My main concern is how to call/implement FTP Functions and getting a timestamp from the internet.

On Xbmc boot, exectue a script that -
1) Retreives a date time stamp from the internet
2) FTP into my server and check if we already have a "Backup" for this week/day
3) Optional: Compress the Gamesaves into a .zip
4) Upload GameSaves to my server
whufclee

Re: BackUp Game Saves On Boot Script, Any Advice?

Post by whufclee »

Wow I'd imagine that's a very unique problem you have there!

It sounds very possible to do but I can't see anyone making a script for that as we just don't have many coders but you if you know a bit about python or are willing to learn then I'm sure one of the guys might be able to point you in the right direction.

How is he managing to delete the gamesaves? I don't remember it being that easy to do. You could just manually copy the UData or TData folder to a location on your HDD every time you want to backup, sorry I can't remember which one of them is for gamesaves but it's definitely one of them!
sirkingchase

Re: BackUp Game Saves On Boot Script, Any Advice?

Post by sirkingchase »

There's a game save/file manager in xbmc. He managed to delete all his game saves using that. Now he's into starting a new game and overwriting our previous save.

I did some research last night. I'm creating a perl script to use on my apache server. All it does is display the localtime when you goto it. Ex. home/time.pl

The python scripts goes to that site gets that timestp, and calculates the week number of the year.

The first time you execute xbmc for that day the script will zip the entire game save directory and saves it on the xbox. Every week it will upload a FTP to my server as an additional backup, which is why we calculate the week of year.

For the core functionality to work I simply just need to zip the game saves directory and move it to another location on the hard drive. The file name still needs to be a timestamp though