[PLUGIN: Released] YouTube for Original Xbox

Discussion of plugin / script development for XBMC4Xbox
MasterChief2

[PLUGIN: Released] YouTube for Original Xbox

Post by MasterChief2 »

Hello guys. I'm happy to release new YouTube plugin for Original Xbox. Yes, it's now again possible to watch YouTube on this dated hardware. I'm using Invidious for fetching data from YouTube. Here is a video that shows this plugin in action. Some features of this plugin are:
  • Trending Videos
  • Popular Videos
  • Searching
  • Channel view
  • Channel searching
  • Subscribtions
  • Import subscriptions from local YouTube account
  • Suggested channels
  • Suggested videos
Limitations:
  • Videos length - currently I don't understand how adaptive streams works and how to use them on Xbox. Because of that I'm using formated streams which means that whole video must be loaded in RAM memory. Because of that on Xboxes with 64MB RAM you can watch video of max 1 hour lenght and on 128MB RAM Xboxes videos of max 3 hours length. I hope I will fix this in the next release.
Download Link
sixties keith

Re: [PLUGIN: Released] YouTube for Original Xbox

Post by sixties keith »

good job, always nice when work continues on the old xbox :)

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

Thanks! :) One guy from YouTube in comments said this isn't for Original Xbox... :D
My next project will be port of Estuary skin to XBMC4Xbox, but I currently don't know when I will start working on that.
MasterChief2

Post by MasterChief2 »

New release is available at link. Now you can use YouTube solely on Xbox without need of PC Gateway. Thanks to Mr. Rochemont from YouTube now we can watch YouTube on OG Xbox without PC Gateway. He is hosting Invidious Instance without HTTP security protocols like TLS.

Chanelog:
  • User now can switch between direct and proxy connection to Invidious Instance inside plugin setttings.
So in the other word, you can decide if you want to use PC Gateway between Xbox and Invidious or you want direct connection to Invidious. By default, direct connection is enabled and it's using Instance that Mr. Rochemont is hosting. Hovever, this is the only one known public instance that have disabled HTTP security protocols. In the other words, you can use this direct connection only with instances that doesn't require TLS1.2 encryption. But, while Instance from Mr. Rochemont is online you shouldn't worry.

How to install:
Extract downloaded zip file. Copy YouTube from Xbox folder to Q:\plugins\video.