SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Tayjelir

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by Tayjelir »

nigelp12345 wrote:anyone tried this adapter out from this site? http://usb.brando.com/sata-to-ide-mini- ... 2d015.html
I'll be the guinea pig next paycheck! :D (That may mean two or three weeks from now and whatever time shipping would be)

EDIT: I ordered this on the 5th and it's going to take 7-20 days to ship and I'm not sure where it's coming from.

EDIT: It finally shipped! :D Now to wait and hope it's not DOA.

EDIT: It's almost been 20 days or 17 actual business days since shipping. I don't think brando is a good seller if you're from non Asian countries. They never provided tracking info.
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
Tayjelir

Post by Tayjelir »

Sorry for the late reply, but that adapter doesn't work that well sadly. It seems to waste a lot of bandwidth and prevents apps from working properly and games take forever to load from the DVD drive. It's a neat little compact component, but sadly doesn't preform that well.

If anyone here wants to analyse this adapter and give a better report on it, I'll gladly ship it to you free of charge. It's doesn't appear to be a good adapter, but a more professional analysis might be in order.
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
xman

Post by xman »

Make sure to try it on cable select which is normally no link in place at all on the adapter. Try it 1st on a sata HDD that was built using an install disc like Slayer but don't re-cluster the F and G drive till you see it works. The HDD will still work even though it's F and G drives aren't clustered correctly but it will boot faster, remember you are testing the adapter at the moment. On an un-clustered 2TB HDD it should boot in about 12 seconds. Once you re-cluster the HDD, being not partially full of content, delays can be as high as 40 seconds so bear this in mind. You won't have these long delays if the HDD was built but hasn't been re-clustered yet is what I am trying to say.
Tayjelir

Post by Tayjelir »

xman wrote:Make sure to try it on cable select which is normally no link in place at all on the adapter. Try it 1st on a sata HDD that was built using an install disc like Slayer but don't re-cluster the F and G drive till you see it works. The HDD will still work even though it's F and G drives aren't clustered correctly but it will boot faster, remember you are testing the adapter at the moment. On an un-clustered 2TB HDD it should boot in about 12 seconds. Once you re-cluster the HDD, being not partially full of content, delays can be as high as 40 seconds so bear this in mind. You won't have these long delays if the HDD was built but hasn't been re-clustered yet is what I am trying to say.
I'll try this then. These other adapters that use the same chip (JM20330), but are longer and have a couple of caps work with the HDD with no issue, so I just assumed it was a bad adapter. I'll test the adapter better when I wake up though. Thank you for the advice.

I wonder why jumper settings say pins 5-6 are cable select?
ThomsonSucks

Post by ThomsonSucks »

Bought a few green boards from DX about a year ago, they have two small caps, a single jumper, and a JMicro JM20330. None of them work properly. Hexen/LXHDM/Xbpartitioner can see the drive, and "pretends" to start formatting it. A bunch of drive write sound, it "formats" through C, E, then stalls at X. Pulled the drive and inspected it on Windows, no Fatx partitions at all, drive was untouched.

Tried a few different IDE cables and pulled the jumper, no change.
xman

Post by xman »

Have you tried using Slayers to format and build the HDD?. Give it time as a try. It takes about 30minutes to do a large Sata HDD. You just select large Hard drive and it SHOULD build every drive partition required on the HDD. You can then try it and providing you don't go over the partition limit with the cluster size selected, it will work. You will need to re-cluster F and G drives so as to get the full use of the large sata HDD if it is over about 500GB in size. Just make sure you do this before filling it or you WILL start losing data once you go over around 500GB. You may actually have issues with the adapter being incompatible but at least try using Slayers first i think.
ThomsonSucks

Post by ThomsonSucks »

xman wrote:Have you tried using Slayers to format and build the HDD?. Give it time as a try. It takes about 30minutes to do a large Sata HDD. You just select large Hard drive and it SHOULD build every drive partition required on the HDD. You can then try it and providing you don't go over the partition limit with the cluster size selected, it will work. You will need to re-cluster F and G drives so as to get the full use of the large sata HDD if it is over about 500GB in size. Just make sure you do this before filling it or you WILL start losing data once you go over around 500GB. You may actually have issues with the adapter being incompatible but at least try using Slayers first i think.
I was beginning to think my copy of Hexen was corrupt or something last night when I was working on it. I'll give Slayers a shot. Does AID also work for setting up a HDD?

Thought I'd just mention that I'm using a 1.2 TSOPed to do this.
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Just checking in here. I recently upgraded my Crystal Xbox to a 1TB drive. It's got the X3 chip. Formatted the drive with the bios (AIO disks I have won't boot on it), but files get corrupt after a while =/

Same deal with a 500GB drive... So either the SATA2IDE adapter is borked or it's something else. Could a 80-pin cable fix it? Or should I just get another adapter? Or go back to my 250GB IDE drive?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I reccomend an 80 wire IDE cable for any SATA to IDE adapter. I don't think a 40 pin cable ever worked for me.
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

XC-3730C wrote:I reccomend an 80 wire IDE cable for any SATA to IDE adapter. I don't think a 40 pin cable ever worked for me.
Hmm, should really have a go at using one then before giving up =)
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Hmm, all my 80-pin cables are weighted the wrong way so I can't make 'em fit, anyone know where I can buy a good one on ebay/aliexpress/dealextreme? I'm in Sweden =)

Edit: Managed to cram one in there, not pretty but it will do for testing. I'll let it transfer during the night and hopefully it'll work =)
ThomsonSucks

Post by ThomsonSucks »

Well, I'm doing much better with Slayers - I think. It's formatted X properly, but setting up this hard drive is taking forever. I started at 4pm and it's now 8:30pm, each file is taking 5 minutes, including what I assume are small .jpegs. Is this normal? I'm going to leave it going to see if it finishes.

Edit: well something is still borked. I let it set up the hard drive until 10 until I got tired of it and turned it off. Tried an 80wire cable, now it's just blazing through the files (I'm guessing it isn't even installing anything). I can't boot from the drive after its finished, so I'm forced to hot swap it while in Hexen or Slayers. When I do that, I have no access to any of the files either by file manager or FTP, the program freezes or the FTP connection times out.

I'm going to order a new adapter that's proven working, I'm getting kind of sick of playing around with this.

How long should hexen/slayers take to set up a drive when everything is working 100%?
asbo

Post by asbo »

I tend to format a HDD with evox via FTP. Just pop a copy of evoxdash on a CD and follow the guide. Bare in mind you'll need to rename the evoxdash.xbe to default.xbe and edit the .ini with a suitable IP address. That being said there's a good chance it won't work if other methods don't work, but its always worth a try :)
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I format HDD's with HeXEn. It includes the best tools for hard mods and softmods, XBpartitioner 1.3, and so much more
ThomsonSucks

Post by ThomsonSucks »

Slayers is formatting the drive correctly (however, very slowly). I can see C, E, F, X, and Y when I FTP in. When I try to enter a directory though it takes a couple minutes. I can't make folders on the drives either. Filezilla gives me a 553 Requested action not taken. Anyone know what that's about?

Edit: 553 is caused by limited drive space apparently. I'll try to play around with xbpartitioner.
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

Ok this is the adapter board i have....

which appears to be the type some of you guys on here have had success with!?, now im not sure if the issue i have is due to this adaptor board or either of the 2 2.5" HDD ive tired (Hitachi (5K500 b-320) 320GB & WD Scorpio Blue (WD6400BPVT) 640GB), has anyone tried using a 2.5" drive before?

I used chimp v2.618 to clone the drives, which it seemed to do the process fine never gave me any error messages at all, but once i have removed the old drive from the xbox and hooked up one of the 2.5 drives (making sure to change the jumper on the IDE 2 SATA adapter back to Master) when i boot the xbox up i get a green light on the front of the xbox for about 2-3 seconds and then it changes to flashing red and green and after the xbox logo on the screen the 'xbox requires service' screen appears.

Surely if the IDE 2 SATA adaptor board wasn't a compatible board then i wouldn't have been able to clone the drive in the first place??.

Any suggestions at all.....i have heard some people say changing the IDE cable to a newer one helps with issues can anyone back this up?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You did lock the new hdd?
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

Rocky5 wrote:You did lock the new hdd?
Yeah i did.

I got it working now, i went to Maplin and bought a 40/80 pin IDE cable for £3 and all working now! :mrgreen:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ribbon-ata-166-70cm-a81cx

Guess the factory fitted IDE cable isnt compatible with these new drive speeds, grab em while you can i guess as soon these ide cables will probably be come extinct just like IDE drives
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I am surprised people didn't know that an 80 pin IDE cable is required for SATA to IDE adapters. Even with out a SATA to IDE adapter, it's a good thing to have to allow for maximum transfer speeds.
xman

Post by xman »

XC-3730C wrote:I am surprised people didn't know that an 80 pin IDE cable is required for SATA to IDE adapters. Even with out a SATA to IDE adapter, it's a good thing to have to allow for maximum transfer speeds.
I've never found the need myself. Transfer speeds were found to be unaffected a very long time ago when one of our members did a very exhaustive set of tests to prove or disprove this. I think there are some adapters that DO require them however none of mine do but I honestly believe it isn't just the adapter. I think the issues come about by mismatched parts like the adapter with HDD. My adapters do not work with Hitachi or WD sata HDDs but do work well with Seagates. Maybe they would work using 80 pin cables, I never tried that.