xboxhdm23usb

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Alaric

Re: xboxhdm23usb

Post by Alaric »

So I've got an adapter ordered, but it's currently backlogged. Have you guys ever seen someone use a Raspberry Pi to unlock an xbox HDD? I'm thinking something like this: https://github.com/manawyrm/pata-gpio. The write speeds appear to be atrocious (0.5 MB/s for that implementation), but it might be suitable for my very niche use case.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

So this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E ... UTF8&psc=1) only locks drives, but throws the following error message when attempting to unlock them. When I plug in my original xbox drive it doesn't show up in Beta4, even in safe mode, but does show up in Windows. Locking the drive, but being unable to unlock the drive is a *very* unfortunate failure mode. For my Google brethren, here's the searchable name of the adapter: "CoolGear SATA and IDE Hard Drive & Optical Drive USB Adapter Kit Combo"

Code: Select all

Probing device type (this may take a while)... Device compatible with SAT type

smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155M [x86_64-w64-mingw32-w10-2004] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ATA Security is:  ENABLED, PW level HIGH, **LOCKED** [SEC4]

security_password=b536f72ca9e0a5334ad3269f905c5b8874da326b0000000030332d2e2a003000
ATA Security unlock

Read Device Identity failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Press any key to continue . . .
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

TL GAMER wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 pm ...I actually resolved the issue via a method that isn't even mentioned in any guide or vidoe or tutorial anywhere on the net
Which is?
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

Alaric wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am I've got an old 3.5" IDE drive that I pulled out of my old XBox. If I remember correctly, I think I corrupted some of its dashboard files while trying to repair it. I'm trying to use xboxhdm-2.3-beta4 to unlock it and restore it from a backup, but my USB to IDE adapters don't seem to be supported.
Which IDE-to-SATA adapter do you have? Do you know its USB idVendor:idProduct value?

If not, run usbview.exe and find the adapter in the list of attached devices.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/37i63tp2 ... w.exe/file
Do y'all have a recommendation for a USB to IDE adapter that's supported?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WZ1N4K/re ... jFb1VWV89R
I tried checking the compatibility list on the first page, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between what's a portable hard disk, sata hdd, etc. Also, none of the devices listed show up in an Amazon search. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I just get a SATA adapter instead and move on up to a big-boy hdd?
Hmm, I helped another modder unlock their Xbox hard drive with XboxHDM23USB Beta 3. They purchased several different USB 2.0-to-IDE/SATA combination adapters that came with an external power supply for 3.5" drives and found all of them to work. Some did require adding the command-line option to the batch files that called smartctl.exe:

-d sat or -d usbjmicron

according to which chipset is based upon (identified by the idVendor:idProduct value of the device).

The USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter linked above is one of them they used.
Also, I'm a software engineer who knows Python, C++, Linux system administration, and CI/CD, and I also need a hobby. The first time I ran Linux was on my XBox in 2006, so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic and grateful to this (ancient) community. Is there anything I could contribute to the cause of getting xboxhdm up and running well on Windows?
Any help to make the application easier to use is appreciated.

Edit: Here's another adapter that I believe is based on the same chipset as the one above:

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU ... 000J01I1G/

It's idVendor:idProduct should be equal to 0x152d:0x2338 based on the JMicron JM20337 bridge.
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

Alaric wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:22 am So this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E ... UTF8&psc=1) only locks drives, but throws the following error message when attempting to unlock them. When I plug in my original xbox drive it doesn't show up in Beta4, even in safe mode, but does show up in Windows. Locking the drive, but being unable to unlock the drive is a *very* unfortunate failure mode. For my Google brethren, here's the searchable name of the adapter: "CoolGear SATA and IDE Hard Drive & Optical Drive USB Adapter Kit Combo"

Probing device type (this may take a while)... Device compatible with SAT type

ATA Security is:  ENABLED, PW level HIGH, **LOCKED** [SEC4]

security_password=b536f72ca9e0a5334ad3269f905c5b8874da326b0000000030332d2e2a003000
ATA Security unlock

Read Device Identity failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Press any key to continue . . .
Determine the idVendor and idProduct values to see if a command-line option needs to be added to the batch files that call smartctl.exe. (https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supp ... ndor0x1500)

Use usbview.exe to find those values.
spoopryme

Post by spoopryme »

Ok, so I have on hand an XBOX hard drive that was once in a softmodded XBOX. The softmod was working properly and the system as a whole ran fine.

At one point, some software on the softmodded XBOX was used to unlock the hard drive.
(this was used to troubleshoot the IDE to USB adapter to see if Xplorer360 could see an unlocked FatX drive in windows10, it can.)

In an attempt to re-lock the hard drive I tried all the variants of xboxhdm23usb that have been posted here and the XBOX will not boot from the drive, and displays an error 06.

I have on hand copies of the eeprom, bios, disk and hdkey bin files pulled fromthe XBOX before the drive was unlocked as well as a hddinfo.txt file that contains disk serial number, hdd key, 'HDDLockDisablePassword' and 'XboxHDKey' if any of these might help? I tried putting these in the root folder with the xboxhd.bat but that did not work.

On a side note, I like the GUI and how safe it is with the software only scanning the USB, thank you everyone involved with the creation and maintenance of the software and forums like this where noobs go for troubleshooting help. :D
F-16 dog

Post by F-16 dog »

Hi, I tried softmodding my US Xbox with Rocky 5's softmod using SC exploit, but when the installer said take disc out when green flubber screen appears I didn't and when it rebooted it gave me error 16. So I tried xboxhdm23usb to see if I could repair C drive to get dash back, but it says the disk is not Xbox formatted, try option 1 (build hd from sratch), so I did and after a few hours it says to format partitions. I type yes and it gives me errors and says there's not enough space on disk and after rebooting xbox, it still gives error 16. Looking in xexplorer, it says C and D 1024 size and there's no files. Please could someone let me know if I am doing something wrong, have I bricked the Xbox and if there is a way to rebuild the hd. I didn't back up the eeprom after the softmod, so does this mean I can't get the original eeprom back. I'm using a Bipra ide to usb adapter (JMicron JM20337 chipset) Help much appreciated, thanks
tryhardfailharder

Post by tryhardfailharder »

Hi there,

I softmodded a 1.4 XBOX with Rocky5s latest, did a HDD upgrade*, changed the HDD key to all 1s, verified it locked, loaded my games, tested, and then let it sit for a bit. Removed the leaky clock cap and reassembled and now I get error 06.

I have a Vantec Nexstar Sata to USB HDD dock

idVendor: 0x174C
idProduct: 0x55AA

so this necessitates the -d sat setting for smartmontools. It seems like "beta 4" has these settings already integrated but it doesn't locate my drive (have tried both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports on the motherboard).

I tried beta3 which doesn't seem to include the commandline switch for

-d sat
but I believe this only comes into play for locking/unlocking the drive, and still the drive doesn't show up with the list command.

Toggling safe mode (beta4) will show my internal drives after multiple attempts, but does not include the USB.

I imagine I'll need help beyond this, but I can't seem to even get started. What am I doing wrong?

*HDD is found in the database to be compatible, and lock status showed active/high (Seagate 1.5TB ST1500DL001)
tryhardfailharder

Post by tryhardfailharder »

tryhardfailharder wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:27 pm Hi there,

I softmodded a 1.4 XBOX with Rocky5s latest, did a HDD upgrade*, changed the HDD key to all 1s, verified it locked, loaded my games, tested, and then let it sit for a bit. Removed the leaky clock cap and reassembled and now I get error 06.

so this necessitates the -d sat setting for smartmontools. It seems like "beta 4" has these settings already integrated but it doesn't locate my drive (have tried both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports on the motherboard).

-d sat
but I believe this only comes into play for locking/unlocking the drive, and still the drive doesn't show up with the list command.

Toggling safe mode (beta4) will show my internal drives after multiple attempts, but does not include the USB.

I imagine I'll need help beyond this, but I can't seem to even get started. What am I doing wrong?

*HDD is found in the database to be compatible, and lock status showed active/high (Seagate 1.5TB ST1500DL001)
OK, so it turns out that Vantec dock simply doesn't work. I tried another one and got a lot further. Was able to use Beta3 with the linux xboxhdm to recreate the drive.

However...

it booted once, no issues so clearly the drive was created correctly and locked appropriately with my eeprom.bin. I set the clock (I've removed the cap) and began copying across my save games via memory card in prep of a soft-mod. it said "copy failed" and i tried again with the same result. Trying to back out just froze the xbox.

Rebooting beyond this point just results in an immediate error 6. Tried 3 IDE cables to rule out cabling.

The drive worked for about a day once fully loaded up, and it's on the compatibility list:
https://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_ ... T1500DL001

There are no reallocated sectors, nor pending via SMART so I'm struggling to believe it's the drive (tried both Cable select and Master settings).

Any ideas?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

tryhardfailharder wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 am
The drive worked for about a day once fully loaded up, and it's on the compatibility list:

Any ideas?
what SATA/IDE adaptor are you using in the XBOX as it is likely the reason, theey are too slow to init and the kernel throws a fit.
if you power the hdd from an external source it will likely work.

Also fatxplorer can create a harddisk now but locking is still an issue under windows, but it is being worked on.
Lude

Post by Lude »

Hi,

I'm trying to softmod an original xbox using this tool.
The xbox was hardmodded. I've run a recovery tool to get eeprom.bin then I've removed the chip. A stupid move to do, I know.
I've already softmodded some xboxes in the past but now I prefer to use this windows based package instead.
I've get the C and E folder from old DVDs that I've created to softmod aforementioned xboxes.
Those folders should contains right stuff for softmod (NDURE)
Basically I'm not sure what I miss to create a working hd.
I'm able to lock \ unlock hd but I'm not sure if data is written correctly.
First of all xboxhdm in qemu will not detect my xbox partition after creation. Why ? it is normal ?
Then when I put hd back I get a black screen after Xbox and microsoft logo.
Use a recovery disk will not help. I don't remember if softmodded xbox can read not original dvds.

Thank you,

Lude

EDIT: SOLVED.
REMEMBER TO SET HD TO MASTER USING A JUMPER AND SELECT CORRECT KERNEL WHEN USING NDURE
mdowns

Post by mdowns »

Hi everyone! I just joined and this is my first post.

I've dusted off my old xbox (softmodded with SID) and would like to install a larger hard drive. I've been trying with xboxhdm23usb beta 2 without success, so I thought I would try the beta 3 version. The problem is, when I click the link provided by Rocky5 near the beginning of this thread, I get a message saying I don't have access. Is there another way to acquire the beta 3 version?

The background to all this is that I attempted to upgrade the softmod with Rocky5's latest version, and it didn't seem to work. So, then I used the SID disc to remove the softmod, then re-softmodded with Rocky5's, and the xbox works, but it is still using XBMC as the dash (which I was using with the original softmod), so I think I've messed something up along the way and starting with a clean HDD might be best (I have the eeprom backup).

Thanks
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

mdowns wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:27 pm Hi everyone! I just joined and this is my first post.

I've dusted off my old xbox (softmodded with SID) and would like to install a larger hard drive. I've been trying with xboxhdm23usb beta 2 without success, so I thought I would try the beta 3 version. The problem is, when I click the link provided by Rocky5 near the beginning of this thread, I get a message saying I don't have access. Is there another way to acquire the beta 3 version?
XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 is available from here.

To have the latest Build v1.1.8 no-original-game-disc-required bootable Xbox Softmodding Tool installer installed when building a new drive (menu item: 2. Launch xboxhdm), you need to replace all of the content of the HDD_files\C folder of XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 with those from this archive - XBHDM Build.zip
mdowns wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:27 pm The background to all this is that I attempted to upgrade the softmod with Rocky5's latest version, and it didn't seem to work. So, then I used the SID disc to remove the softmod, then re-softmodded with Rocky5's, and the xbox works, but it is still using XBMC as the dash (which I was using with the original softmod), so I think I've messed something up along the way and starting with a clean HDD might be best (I have the eeprom backup).

Thanks
However, I don't think you need to re-build the drive. Where is XBMC installed?

Rocky5's Softmod has a long boot order list that it goes through to find a replacement dashboard. When multiple replacement dashboards are installed, the first XBE file found on the Xbox's hard drive from this list will be the default dashboard:
  • C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • C:\evoxdash.xbe
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

tryhardfailharder wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:27 pm Hi there,

-d sat

From a cmd.exe window, type in the following command:
  • wmic diskdrive get model,name
Does any drive in the output from this command look like it is for the Seagate 1.5TB hard drive?
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

tryhardfailharder wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 am OK, so it turns out that Vantec dock simply doesn't work. I tried another one and got a lot further. Was able to use Beta3 with the linux xboxhdm to recreate the drive.

However...

it booted once, no issues so clearly the drive was created correctly and locked appropriately with my eeprom.bin. I set the clock (I've removed the cap) and began copying across my save games via memory card in prep of a soft-mod. it said "copy failed" and i tried again with the same result. Trying to back out just froze the xbox.

Rebooting beyond this point just results in an immediate error 6. Tried 3 IDE cables to rule out cabling.

There are no reallocated sectors, nor pending via SMART so I'm struggling to believe it's the drive (tried both Cable select and Master settings).

Any ideas?
Which IDE-to-SATA adapter are you using to connect the hard drive to your Xbox?

Are you using an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable or a standard 40-wire 40-pin one?

Edit: I just noticed that the ST1500DL001 is a GREEN drive. It has power saving features that must be disabled for the Xbox to work with it. The Xbox does not wait for the drive to spin up after its idle timeout has put it to sleep (spun down the media)!
Puritan007

Post by Puritan007 »

I just want to say THANK YOU! While I like Rocky5 version and have used it a lot, the abillity to lock was beyond me... now I can use his to set up a new c drive, fatxplorer 3 beta to put the extra files on that I want and use, and Format extra areas, then LOCK to my backed up eeprom with your version. and its finally all easy! I do wish all of it was in one program with big user friendly buttons to click, however beggars cannot be choosers and I am simply happy to have a good way to lock and unlock drives from my pc with the eeprom finally. thank you thank you.
Rapper_skull wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm I made a Beta4 with some new functionalities. I added an instruction file to the package, with some tips and the changelog. Here it is:
Xbox Hard Drive Maker for Windows

Use it to lock/unlock your Xbox HDD. You can also use it to temporarily unlock it without disabling security (not all drives will work this way). Put your "eeprom.bin" file in this folder.
You can also run XboxHD inside Qemu to prepare the drive. Just make sure to put your files in "HDD_files/C/" and "HDD_files/E/". You may want to start from "Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox" and add your custom dashboard and/or applications.
By default, the program only detects external media. If your drive is detected by Windows, but not by the program, you can toggle "Safe Mode" OFF. This will show all the drives. Please double check what drive you're selecting, as you may accidentally wipe your computer. You have been warned.

Beta4 by Rapper_skull adds the following:
- Show all external drives, not only USB ones
- Safe Mode toggle to show all drives
- Removed all external scripts and unified the code
- Select 32/64-bit smartctl automatically
- Try to use smartctl's "-d sat" option and fallback to "auto" if the drive does not behave correctly
- Add option to temporarily unlock the HDD without disabling security (not compatible with all drives)
- Update smartctl to version 7.2 (2020-12-30)
- Scan for drives before every action. No need to connect them before opening the program.
- Uniform GUI size
- Other GUI changes

Please note that, contrary to Beta3, no files for C and E are provided in the package. Just add what you want/need.

Some notes about drives and adapters/enclosures/docks:
- Some combinations of drives and adapters will hang for a long time on the "Probing device type" message. Don't worry, it's fine.
- Not all adapters behave nicely with locked HDDs. If your PC can't detect your locked HDD, please try another adapter.
- As a corollary, lock your drive only when you're sure you've finished. The moment you power it down, it will lock and your adapter may not read it anymore.
- Not all drives will lock. Using "-d sat" improves compatibility, but some drives simply don't support the security commands.
- Some times operations will fail for apparently no reason. If you got an error locking/unlocking your drive, please try one more time. If it fails again, power cycle it and retry.
If you want, here are the download links:
https://mega.nz/file/RptCWRyJ#DIjQzlQ_0 ... 7hz3OEavMI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qdrULp ... sp=sharing

I also made a patch to port security functionalities to newer versions of smartmontools, based on the work of TheMuso:
https://mega.nz/file/ZhlwwbTK#XDKekpbSc ... cFP4IytuFs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kz45Cy ... sp=sharing
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Puritan007 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:56 am I just want to say THANK YOU! While I like Rocky5 version and have used it a lot, the abillity to lock was beyond me... now I can use his to set up a new c drive, fatxplorer 3 beta to put the extra files on that I want and use, and Format extra areas, then LOCK to my backed up eeprom with your version. and its finally all easy! I do wish all of it was in one program with big user friendly buttons to click, however beggars cannot be choosers and I am simply happy to have a good way to lock and unlock drives from my pc with the eeprom finally. thank you thank you.
Just heads up- the author of FATXplorer is planning on adding locking/unlocking support to his app too. Once that's added, you'll be able to do everything from one app. :)
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

GoTeamScotch wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:05 am
Just heads up- the author of FATXplorer is planning on adding locking/unlocking support to his app too. Once that's added, you'll be able to do everything from one app. :)
As far as I'm aware he is not currently, all atempts have failed so far but he is still going to look into it and has another idea, windows has some limitations with pass throughh of scsi commands,it has problems with the likes of retriving smata data over usb.

It might require a custom or specific usb hardware device that will passthrough commands, I talked to him about a serial device that can depower a drive and send locking commands to a cpld to do the work and that was a last resort.
a product like the x360usb v2.

He has contacted microsoft but I believe no one got back to him.
renegade2k82

Post by renegade2k82 »

So when setting up a new hard drive why does go back to the main selection and kick me out of xboxhdm when all i have in the hard drive folder to copy over to a new hard drive stuff like dashboard files,my extracked backed up xbox games and offline dlc installer files?But yet if i only put in the main dash and files in c it doesnt kick back to the main selection?I really didnt want to have to ftp everything else over and was hoping i could use this to also set up the other other stuff like game files,extra dashboards etc and have it copy it all over to f along with the other stuff.
Puritan007

Post by Puritan007 »

Hi. Your going about it wrong is all, IMO. I only use XBOXHDM23beta4 now. You want to build the drive with fatxplorer 3 beta its free and amazing. Format, and select a partition. Put your files on there. 90mbps should be plenty fast for most. After your done building the drive to your desire, close out fatxplorer. Put your eeprom in usbhdm23beta4 folder. Run the xboxhdm bat. do lock hard drive. choose your drive. Then put it in your xbox (if your using softmod) if not softmod dont need to lock it.
renegade2k82 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 am So when setting up a new hard drive why does go back to the main selection and kick me out of xboxhdm when all i have in the hard drive folder to copy over to a new hard drive stuff like dashboard files,my extracked backed up xbox games and offline dlc installer files?But yet if i only put in the main dash and files in c it doesnt kick back to the main selection?I really didnt want to have to ftp everything else over and was hoping i could use this to also set up the other other stuff like game files,extra dashboards etc and have it copy it all over to f along with the other stuff.