xboxhdm23usb

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ldotsfan

xboxhdm23usb

Post by ldotsfan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:18 pm

This is the beta release of xboxhdm23usb. It is a remake of xboxhdm running in Windows with USB SATA/IDE enclosures/adapters. Check compatibility of USB devices from https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supp ... SB-Devices.

Be careful when identifying which drive to connect to, as you don't want to wipe your Windows drive by mistake. Place files in this manner inside xboxhdm23usb folder:
1. C drive files in C subfolder of hdm folder.
2. E drive files in E subfolder in hdm folder.
3. eeprom.bin in xboxhdm23usb folder itself.

Start a command prompt with administrator rights. Enter Win-Key 'S' key for search and type "cmd" and right click to select administrator rights. Type "xboxhd" and a menu will appear. Drives are labelled from zero onwards. PhysicalDrive0 , PhysicalDrive1 etc.

Locking and unlocking of drives from Windows is supported.

Download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xboxhd ... oxhdm23usb
Ldotsfan :)

ldotsfan

Re: xboxhdm23usb

Post by ldotsfan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:34 am

Rocky5 helped to create a GUI version for this tool, download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/xboxhd ... p/download

GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading! XboxHDM is running from within a Windows environment? This sounds too good to be true. lol

I'm definitely going to test this out sometime soon. I currently pull out an old PC from my closet every time I need to use XboxHDM but if I could use a laptop with a USB/IDE adapter, that would be amazing. :D

As always, outstanding work, ldotsfan
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!

ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks GoTeamScotch. The bulk of the work was done some years back when I patched smartmontools with ATA Security features. The rest of the stuff came from hdm2.2 and then Rocky5 did a great job with the menus.

GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:30 am

I was a bit confused at first... I had a drive connected through eSATA and opened the script and couldn't figure out what was going on. I read through the batch script and then saw that it was looking for USB drives. Oops! I connected a SATA drive via USB and it then loaded to QEMU and XboxHDM. I have to say, it's awesome to be able to do all this without having to reboot or pull out my old IDE tower and load a disc of XboxHDM (never tinkered with USB version of XboxHDM before).

One thing I wanted to point out is that if you have more than a CD-rom amount of data in the hdm folder, Qemu will fail silently and you'll be put back on the start menu of the xboxhd.bat UI. I assume this is because Qemu is mounting hdm as if it were the CD rom drive or something similar, which are limited to 700MB. I noticed if I had 400MB of data, it worked fine, but if I doubled it to 800MB or more then the problem would happen.

To small screen users: if you're viewing QEMU on a laptop screen like me, make sure to hit View > Zoom To Fit or else you won't see the bottom of the display and you might miss the bottom of the output.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!

barnito

Post by barnito » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 am

I bought a WEme IDE/SATA adapter. it works to build and fix C. However smartctl won't recognize my USB adapter. Smartctl.exe 6.5 works but the security commands (ie smartctl -s security-eeprom-unlock) are missing. Did you add code to the source of it or is it there already and just need to be enabled? I will compile it myself if I can.

Thank you!