Cleaning/Restoring a Softmod. Rocky5 kit???

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
izzle211

Cleaning/Restoring a Softmod. Rocky5 kit???

Post by izzle211 »

Hi

i recently purchased a pre softmodded box and i would like to clean it up and have it running the way i want it. The OCD in me i guess.
Its come with loads of crappy games, apps, emulators and skins. It even boots into media x menu at launch and from there i have to load unleash x. Quite inconvenient.
I would like to get it to a as new as possible state without things getting to complicated. i do have a little knowledge of how things work and know how to ftp.
Ive copied over the eeprom.bin to my computer as this seems to be very important in other posts, however i hope i wont need it for my mission?
I have the splinter cell disc and the games saves if needed.
Am i able to use the Rocky5 softmod kit? i see this has gotten good feedback and is newbie friendly.
I would love if it is was as simple as copying over clean 5960 dash files to my C drive and deleting the E & F Drive, then just running the gamesave exploit and starting from scratch, but i don't think its that simple?
Rocky5

Re: Cleaning/Restoring a Softmod. Rocky5 kit???

Post by Rocky5 »

It's simpler.

You just burn the disc image & use the Upgrade Older Softmods option in the advanced menu, follow the onscreen instructions & that's you.

Then you can remove everything from E bar these folders.

Cache
Backups
TDATA
UDATA

Jump to 10:00 you want to use the Older Softmods option instead, but the process is the same.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
izzle211

Post by izzle211 »

thanks for the prompt reply Rocky5
when trying the burn the iso of the 1.1 kit i get a message saying it cant be mounted. it burns the disc anyway but i not sure if it burns properly?

in the hour it took you to respond to me i managed to make things worse. im a twat.
i tried launching the ms dash from unleash x thinking that a re spliter cell exploit might be what someone here suggests, and it wouldn't load the ms dash. i would just get a black screen. i lost my patience and found the untouched 5960 files on this forum and ftp'd them over to my C drive. i didn't delete anything but it did overwrite what was there. i haven't touch the E or F if that helps?
what im left with now is a box that loads up the ms dash perfectly but no way to get back to unleash x and no way to ftp back in. like i said, twat. ive tried holding down the power button on launch and pressing both triggers with start/back, black/white combos, but nothing.
can i fix this? the ms dash isn't reading the iso. do i run the splinter cell exploit to allow me to ftp in and maybe fix it that way.
if i have completely f'd up, where do i go from here. i do have my eeprom.

Save me Rocky. I'll be patient and await instructions this time.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yeah you will need to rerun the softmod exploit save. Then you can FTP over the correct C drive files or a clean softmod save & softreset to reload it.

Or you can use my upgrader to update straight to my softmod.

Unlrealeased 2014 Softmod v1.2

This is v1.2 it's not public yet, but it's been tested & works fine.

You extract the zip & ftp over the Prep folder to E & using UnleashX (via file manager in UnleashX) launch the default.xbe located in the E:\Prep\ folder, now just select finish upgrade & your done.

If you have Skype I can add you & talk you through it better.

Here is the readme.txt that's included.
This is the quick upgrade option, you must know how to FTP.

If you do not know how to FTP to the Xbox just burn the "2014 Softmod Kit Extras Disc Update v1.2.iso" & use that to upgrade.

Installation....

1) Transfer the Prep folder to E:\

2) So should look like "E:\Prep\default.xbe + folders & other files."

3) Run the default.xbe locted in the "E:\Prep\" folder.

4) Follow the onscreen instructions.

Note:

If you are running my 2014 Softmod please backup your dashboard from C using "NKPatcher Setting > Dashboards > Settings" you can replace it after the upgrade, using the same procedure.

(This has to be done as I replace all the files in C, so you would lose your dashboard if you did not back it up first)

Change Log:

Softmod v1.2:

1) Changed the NKPatcher Settings Kernel Fonts section, to be password protected & clearer.

2) Changed the ShadowC partition to a partition number XBMC or other Dashboards cant see or access.

3) Updated Dashloader to reflect the above changes.

4) Fixed issues with UnleashX failing to allow FTP transfers.

5) NKPatcher settings menu & skin rearranged.

6) Added a custom splash for UnleashX.

7) Fixed an NKPatcher compile error "LDR1 space error on kernel 3499"

8) Streamlined the Softmod installation.

9) Now uses a custom skin after the Softmod is installed.

10) Updated Dashloader with better logging.

11) Added setting indicators for the NKPatcher settings. (now you know what you selected)

12) Now use my custom ConfigMagic to do the eeprom backup/virtual eeprom installation.

12) Added the option to backup the eeprom via the NKPatcher Settings.

14) Other minor improvements & fixes.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
izzle211

Post by izzle211 »

thanks Rocky5. i made some progress.

here's where i am:
i ran the SC game exploit and managed to ftp back in.
from there i copied over your quick upgrade 1.2 prep folder to E, launched the default.xbe and followed the instructions. it asked if i wanted the ms dash (i did) and to insert the 1.1 kit DVD (i did).
when i start my box it launches your dash. great
how do i launch the ms dash?
my C drive is nice and tidy now with just the dashboard folder. 481mb free of 485mb
my E & F are still cluttered with a load of rubbish from the previous softmod. what is safe to delete? i already have my eeprom saved on my cpu.

my E is 4.405 free of 4.881 and contains:
applications
backup linux
biosLD
cache
dashboard
HDDLoader
music
saves
screenshots
tdata (has 84 folders in it) what should i absolutely not delete in this folder?
udata (has 33 folder in it) what should i absolutely not delete in this folder?
video
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.bin
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.cfg
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.txt
screendump.bmp

my F is 98.939 free of 109.586 and contains:
Apps
Games
hddloader
music
pictures
video.

is there a tool out there that will clean up my E and F and just leave the necessary files? probably not.
sorry for long message. trying to get down as much info as possible.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

izzle211 wrote:thanks Rocky5. i made some progress.

here's where i am:
i ran the SC game exploit and managed to ftp back in.
from there i copied over your quick upgrade 1.2 prep folder to E, launched the default.xbe and followed the instructions. it asked if i wanted the ms dash (i did) and to insert the 1.1 kit DVD (i did).
when i start my box it launches your dash. great
how do i launch the ms dash?
my C drive is nice and tidy now with just the dashboard folder. 481mb free of 485mb
my E & F are still cluttered with a load of rubbish from the previous softmod. what is safe to delete? i already have my eeprom saved on my cpu.
When it asks if you want the MSDash & to insert the disc it should load to a custom menu on the disc, with two options, you pick one & follow the onscreen instructions.

If you never got the menu, then it never installed. You can just use the disc to install the MSDash if you really want it.
(There isn't much need for it now a days other than the save manager & if you're only wanting it for that I recommend my modded version)

Also thanks for pointing out a mistake :D should have read insert the v1.2 disc.

To launch the MSDash you currently have to do it manually, I will add a shortcut to it when it's installed from the disc, but right now you goto C & launch it.
izzle211 wrote:my E is 4.405 free of 4.881 and contains:
applications
backup linux
biosLD
cache
dashboard
HDDLoader
music

saves
screenshots
tdata (has 84 folders in it) what should i absolutely not delete in this folder?
udata (has 33 folder in it) what should i absolutely not delete in this folder?
video
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.bin
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.cfg
EEPROMBACKUPBEFORELOCK.txt
screendump.bmp

my F is 98.939 free of 109.586 and contains:
Apps
Games
hddloader
music
pictures
video.

is there a tool out there that will clean up my E and F and just leave the necessary files? probably not.
sorry for long message. trying to get down as much info as possible.
I have bolded the ones that are safe to remove, note the saves folder is used by emulators if you don't have any just remove it.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with a pretty messed up softmod I purchased. I have been attempting to update it but have failed miserably :cry:

I tried the 'Prep' method as I have FTP access to the box (and still do) but it goes so far then says failed and indicates 'rename' as the cause. When I then click finish it fails again and this time states 'delete' as the cause.

It seems to me that it is permissions of some kind but I am new to dabbling! One peculiarity I have come accross is that when browsing the Xbox via FTP, I cannot see the Coinops 6 folder inside the emulator folder and indeed I am to that the emulator folder doesn't exist even though I can see it!

XBMC is the default dash but I am unable to boot to DVD as it says invalid path

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

erinarenauk wrote:Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with a pretty messed up softmod I purchased. I have been attempting to update it but have failed miserably :cry:

I tried the 'Prep' method as I have FTP access to the box (and still do) but it goes so far then says failed and indicates 'rename' as the cause. When I then click finish it fails again and this time states 'delete' as the cause.

It seems to me that it is permissions of some kind but I am new to dabbling! One peculiarity I have come accross is that when browsing the Xbox via FTP, I cannot see the Coinops 6 folder inside the emulator folder and indeed I am to that the emulator folder doesn't exist even though I can see it!

XBMC is the default dash but I am unable to boot to DVD as it says invalid path

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)
Make sure there is sufficient space on E. You can do this via the filemanager in XBMC.

If it's failing at renaming or deleting it's because the file that's meant to be there isn't & only reason it wouldn't be there is if it can't be placed there for what ever reason.

Also make sure all the files are transferring over what you FTP the Prep folder to E. And use this version.
2016 Softmodding Tool RC3 Quick Upgrade.zip

Oh & make sure it's E\Prep\default.xbe & not E\Prep\Prep\default.xbe
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

Wow...Thanks Rocky5! I wasn't expecting help this quickly :o)

I will switch the xbox back on and FTP the new files over and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

OK...different scenario now. I think space is definately an issue on C drive. How much space should there be on there? Originally it was in the hundreds of MB but i'm now down to KB! Root folders are media, nkpatcher, xodash and xboxdash.xbe.

I removed the previous Prep folder and uploaded the new one without error.

Thanks for your time
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

erinarenauk wrote:OK...different scenario now. I think space is definately an issue on C drive. How much space should there be on there? Originally it was in the hundreds of MB but i'm now down to KB! Root folders are media, nkpatcher, xodash and xboxdash.xbe.

I removed the previous Prep folder and uploaded the new one without error.

Thanks for your time
What you are seeing is the unprotected C partition, this is why it has 6MB free space. You won't see that when everything is installed properly.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

It has stopped at 1% when copying from E:\UDATA\............to C:\nkpatcher\......skin.xml

Should that be flying through or should I expect long pauses?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Something is wrong with your Xbox, it should take less than 2 mins to install the softmod.

What's in the E partition? How much space is left on the E partition?

The C partition is formatted before I copy files to it, so space isn't an issue on there.

I'm thinking your HDD is on its way out or it's been formatted incorrectly.
(What size is the hdd?)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

I just rebooted it and according to XBMC file manager there is 4.26GB free.
Contents:-
Applications, Apps, backups (cddrive - eeprom), cache, dashboard, emulators, games, hddloader, music, prep, saves, screenshots, skins, TDATA and UDATA.
I think it's a 160GB drive...
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

With your help and guidance my Xbox is now up and running and functioning as it should! I'll be uploading for the next couple of days now!!

Thanks Rocky5 Top Modder :D
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

Hi Rocky5...it's that stalker again! lol

I've got everything (almost) running great now thanks to all your help...just 1 final thing. PAL/NTSC HD.

I have downloaded the Enigmah Video Switcher app but my system keeps reverting to PAL. If I remember rightly, you had to go back to MS Dash and enable HD mode in there but this is only available in NTSC mode. I don't seem to have MS Dash anymore but even if I did it would be PAL and HD wouldn't be available?

Thanks in advance :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I had this exact issue a while ago , you need this from the Wiki , follow the instructions very carefully .
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Enable ... odded_Xbox

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

It's a simple as loading the disc based version or the xbe off the HDD & pressing the appropriate button to set it to NTSC & soft resetting.
(Both triggers + black & back)

Enigmah region swapper bypasses virtual EEPROMs.
(and you don't have one so there should be zero issue)

You also must be using component cables for the HD resolution options to populate, ie, appear & function.

Also the MS Dash isn't required, if you have a component cable & NTSC is default unleashx settings can set the video modes no problem.
(XBMC for me at least doesn't allow swapping unless there enabled in the MS Dash or UnleashX)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
erinarenauk

Post by erinarenauk »

Thanks for all input. When I went back for some reason it remained on NTSC!?!

Rocky5...When you say run from disc or xbe, i'm guessing you mean Enigmah? If so NTSC is set now.

I have enabled 480P/720P in settings and when going in XBMC enabled in there also. If I restart XBMC I get 720P and exit to dash get 720P but after a reboot I am back to a standard resolution.

:roll:
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

erinarenauk wrote:Thanks for all input. When I went back for some reason it remained on NTSC!?!

Rocky5...When you say run from disc or xbe, i'm guessing you mean Enigmah? If so NTSC is set now.

I have enabled 480P/720P in settings and when going in XBMC enabled in there also. If I restart XBMC I get 720P and exit to dash get 720P but after a reboot I am back to a standard resolution.

:roll:
Load NKPatcher Settings > Virtual EEPROM & make sure disabled is enabled.

Then change your resolutions.

If it's still not working, are you still using that build of XBMC that I got you to keep in E:\Dashboard ?
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5