Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Hello everyone. I am happy to be part of the community!

I have a question/problem that has been discussed across many forums already I'm sure but what hasn't..?
It involves the xbox error code "06" - unable to unlock hdd.

During a softmod years ago I may have corrupted or deleted one too many files on the drive while using FTP.
I'm assuming the eeprom is corrupt/missing/incorrect and doesn't match the Mobo. Must I seriously buy or build an eeprom reader before I can rebuild the hdd with say xboxhdm?

I would like to not have to spend $$$....

PS. Without the eeprom I attempt to rebuild but I get strange instance where the first 5 options out of the 8 (being 1-8) are "/disabled"

Please, someone share knowledge of maybe how I can bypass using eeprom? I don't need to go online/live

User avatar
mrmajikbus45
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by mrmajikbus45 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Try the procedure listed here: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=27.

Or you could always buy a chip and never need to worry about the HDD locking again.

(I feel dirty saying that, just FYI.)
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!

psyko_chewbacca
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Hello,

What I can basically understand of your post is that you have a Softmodded Xbox with a locked HDD inside. The locked HDD cannot currently be unlocked by the Xbox and returns an error code 06.

Basically, the content of the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard does not contain the proper "key" to unlock the HDD. If you don't have a previously saved eeprom.bin file someplace else (other than your actual locked HDD), you can consider this HDD to be useless in it's current state. You can try to force unlock it using this tutorial: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Unlocking%20 ... 0Drive.htm but be aware that it might not work for you at all.


If you want/need to go further:
You'll need a new HDD to make your Xbox work again.

Then you have 2 options, both will cost something if you don't already have the proper equipement.

1- Solder a modchip and install an unlocked HDD
2- Buy/build an eeprom reader, build a new HDD with the necessary softmod files using XboxHDM and lock it using your recovered key.

Eeprom readers are not expensive or hard to build. The Xbox eeprom is an I2C 2048 byte eeprom, most likely an AT24C02A. Look on the internet on how to build a cheap LPT based I2C reader (power it using +5V from a USB port). Use a software like ponyprog to read it. If you don't feel like building one, you can buy one on ebay or someplace else but you'll have to wait longer.

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Thank you both for your very helpful links and information. I will further read and review my options as suggested by you. I will reply in the near future with what my conclusion is. Thanks again!!

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:06 pm

psyko_chewbacca wrote:Hello,

What I can basically understand of your post is that you have a Softmodded Xbox with a locked HDD inside. The locked HDD cannot currently be unlocked by the Xbox and returns an error code 06.

Basically, the content of the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard does not contain the proper "key" to unlock the HDD. If you don't have a previously saved eeprom.bin file someplace else (other than your actual locked HDD), you can consider this HDD to be useless in it's current state. You can try to force unlock it using this tutorial: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Unlocking%20 ... 0Drive.htm but be aware that it might not work for you at all.


If you want/need to go further:
You'll need a new HDD to make your Xbox work again.

Then you have 2 options, both will cost something if you don't already have the proper equipement.

1- Solder a modchip and install an unlocked HDD
2- Buy/build an eeprom reader, build a new HDD with the necessary softmod files using XboxHDM and lock it using your recovered key.

Eeprom readers are not expensive or hard to build. The Xbox eeprom is an I2C 2048 byte eeprom, most likely an AT24C02A. Look on the internet on how to build a cheap LPT based I2C reader (power it using +5V from a USB port). Use a software like ponyprog to read it. If you don't feel like building one, you can buy one on ebay or someplace else but you'll have to wait longer.
You have really hit the nail on the head, I think. So you're saying the only way to unlock the current hdd is to obtain the eeprom bin file via an eeprom reader or find the backup file if I can find it, right?

Also, what about if I have another HDD lying around the house.. Is this any good? Or am I in the same situation since the Mobo has a different eeprom code?

User avatar
mrmajikbus45
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by mrmajikbus45 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Same situation. eeprom reader or a chip are your 2 answers.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 am

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Same situation. eeprom reader or a chip are your 2 answers.
I've just discovered by digging up my OLD desktop.... my FILES!!!

NOW, I don't know if this EEPROM backup file that I found is the CORRECT one... but how do I know?

I found apps like LiveInfo Beta 3, Slayer Evox, etc... and I have my XboxHDM ready to go. So what do I do next?

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:08 am

So I have spent a couple hours trying to hotswap. It appears I can in fact unlock and lock, but also rebuild hdd. However, the xbox shuts off by itself after so many minutes!!! Therefore the power cycle/reboot screws up the series of necessary events (unlock - rebuild - lock). No idea how to prevent this... Not enough time to do all of it :(

Ps: sometimes the security is enabled, not enabled or the lock is on/ off but I will never know of it's working simce it keeps shutting down in between the processes!!!

User avatar
spicemuseum
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 pm
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by spicemuseum » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:55 am

Irondrgntp wrote:
mrmajikbus45 wrote:... and I have my XboxHDM ready to go. So what do I do next?
Have you got a PC with an IDE port on the motherboard? That's what you need to use XBOXHDM.

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 pm

spicemuseum wrote:
Irondrgntp wrote:
mrmajikbus45 wrote:... and I have my XboxHDM ready to go. So what do I do next?
Have you got a PC with an IDE port on the motherboard? That's what you need to use XBOXHDM.
Yes sir. I have replied with updates to my endeavors......

I do have and IDE cable/port and have been using it.
As you can see I have attempted to 'unlock/rebuild/re-lock'.... but instead of going through the entire process in time.. the Xbox shuts off soon before I can do all three. In this case, I suppose the power cycle messes up the entire process. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the box from timing out and shutting down *after all it's just sitting on the service error screen why wouldnt it time out*
AND THEN maybe it will properly unlock and lock after rebuild is complete...

PS: In the lock/unlock screen of XboxHDM it shows the security lock, hdd lock ... enable/disabled blahhhh etc..... WHAT exactly am I suppose to look for?

psyko_chewbacca
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Irondrgntp wrote: You have really hit the nail on the head, I think. So you're saying the only way to unlock the current hdd is to obtain the eeprom bin file via an eeprom reader or find the backup file if I can find it, right?

Also, what about if I have another HDD lying around the house.. Is this any good? Or am I in the same situation since the Mobo has a different eeprom code?
Just to make things clear, your HDD cannot be unlocked with the password contained in the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard. Therefore, if you found the eeprom.bin file corresponding to your current Xbox motherboard, it'll only be useful to re-lock your HDD once it's been previously unlocked. You still need to find the correct key to unlock that HDD because it doesn't match the one in your Xbox's eeprom chip. Every Xbox has a unique key stored in it's eeprom (unique has in there aren't 2 Xboxes on this planet with the same key).

Now if you found another HDD, we can assume it's not locked only if it's not a HDD that came from an Xbox. You could build an XboxHDM iso with your eeprom.bin and all the necessary files in C:\ and E:\ drive to softmod included in said iso. Boot your computer from XboxHDM with the (future)Xbox HDD as the Primary Master and make sure it's the only HDD plugged. You'll then be able to build an Xbox HDD with all the files and lock it using the key stored in the eeprom.bin file contained on the XboxHDM CD. Once your new HDD has been built and locked, you'll be able to install it into your Xbox and it should boot just fine; providing the eeprom.bin file you used to lock it was effectively the one that came from your Xbox.

Another thing I just tought of is that maybe you could try and unlock your current Xbox HDD (the one that throws an error code 06) using XboxHDM and the master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" (no quotes and in capitals). Some lock/unlock programs on the Xbox (like ConfigMagic) sets the master lock password to "TEAMASSEMBLY" if you tamper with the lock/unlock status using this program. It's some sort of backup password. In that case, you still need to boot your computer with XboxHDM and plug your locked HDD as Primary Master. Try to unlock using master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" and relock it using your eeprom.bin.

Of course this will only work if your eeprom.bin file is the one matching your Xbox eeprom chip.

IMO, the best course of action would be to install a modchip and your newly found HDD and leave the whole thing unlocked. Surely someone can sell you a cheap modchip here. If not : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XBOX-cha ... 41122.html

EDIT: If "TEAMASSEMBLY" password doesn't work, you can try "XBOXSCENE"

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:34 pm

psyko_chewbacca wrote:
Irondrgntp wrote: You have really hit the nail on the head, I think. So you're saying the only way to unlock the current hdd is to obtain the eeprom bin file via an eeprom reader or find the backup file if I can find it, right?

Also, what about if I have another HDD lying around the house.. Is this any good? Or am I in the same situation since the Mobo has a different eeprom code?
Just to make things clear, your HDD cannot be unlocked with the password contained in the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard. Therefore, if you found the eeprom.bin file corresponding to your current Xbox motherboard, it'll only be useful to re-lock your HDD once it's been previously unlocked. You still need to find the correct key to unlock that HDD because it doesn't match the one in your Xbox's eeprom chip. Every Xbox has a unique key stored in it's eeprom (unique has in there aren't 2 Xboxes on this planet with the same key).

Now if you found another HDD, we can assume it's not locked only if it's not a HDD that came from an Xbox. You could build an XboxHDM iso with your eeprom.bin and all the necessary files in C:\ and E:\ drive to softmod included in said iso. Boot your computer from XboxHDM with the (future)Xbox HDD as the Primary Master and make sure it's the only HDD plugged. You'll then be able to build an Xbox HDD with all the files and lock it using the key stored in the eeprom.bin file contained on the XboxHDM CD. Once your new HDD has been built and locked, you'll be able to install it into your Xbox and it should boot just fine; providing the eeprom.bin file you used to lock it was effectively the one that came from your Xbox.

Another thing I just tought of is that maybe you could try and unlock your current Xbox HDD (the one that throws an error code 06) using XboxHDM and the master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" (no quotes and in capitals). Some lock/unlock programs on the Xbox (like ConfigMagic) sets the master lock password to "TEAMASSEMBLY" if you tamper with the lock/unlock status using this program. It's some sort of backup password. In that case, you still need to boot your computer with XboxHDM and plug your locked HDD as Primary Master. Try to unlock using master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" and relock it using your eeprom.bin.

Of course this will only work if your eeprom.bin file is the one matching your Xbox eeprom chip.

IMO, the best course of action would be to install a modchip and your newly found HDD and leave the whole thing unlocked. Surely someone can sell you a cheap modchip here. If not : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XBOX-cha ... 41122.html

Ok, thank you Psyko.

So you are saying that Unlocking an HDD for Xbox is not done by the EEPROM.bin, rather a "key"? AND that LOCKING is what needs utilizes the eeprom? Now what if I have an eeprom backup TXT file that shows the data? Like the Online key, HDD key, HDD Password, etc...? Are any of these what I am looking for??

Because perhaps my attempts to unlock properly were not correct? Although I truly did think it was being unlocked considering I was able to supposedly rebuild. At one point I had ERROR 7. HMMM. Back to 6 now though.

NOTE: I STILL CANNOT figure out how to not allow the Xbox to "time out" and shut down before I can complete all of the unlocking, build, and relock... :( The cycle of power ruins the process... right?

THANKS...

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 pm

OKAY. I did not know that the chip was so dammmm cheap. Will installing a chip fix all of my problems with the eeprom/hd/files etc? lol

And does it require soldering? If so I need to get one... :(

User avatar
xman
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by xman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Yep, chip it and be done with it. What chip do you have?.

User avatar
mrmajikbus45
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by mrmajikbus45 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm

As I said earlier, and xman just now. Chip it. With a chip, the lock/unlock of a HDD is irrelevant at that point.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't have a chip as of yet. Otherwise I wouldn't be in this predicament. :mrgreen:

I would still like to find out the last few things I asked, if possible..? I know when you UNLOCKHD -a it allows you to use the eeprom.bin file to unlock. Is this not the way you're supposed to do it? The Key should be in the file......right? Extracted?

And then you also use eemprom.bin to LOCKHD -a after rebuild...? Because quite honestly it seems like it DOES do something... it did allow me to allegedly... rebuild and lock. BUT error 6. Is this maybe a fluke due to the Xbox timer powering down before I can do all three things???

PLEASE HELP

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:21 pm

mrmajikbus45 wrote:As I said earlier, and xman just now. Chip it. With a chip, the lock/unlock of a HDD is irrelevant at that point.
I Understand...... and believe me I MORE than appreciate your and everyone's input thus far. I am just curious and exploring all of the options considering the time I spent..... so I'd like to know what im sort of "giving up" on and if I really have hit a brick wall...

Otherwise, yes I am considering that "Aladdin" chip you sent me a link to... hopefully I can learn to install it properly and not run into more technical problems....!! :geek: :ugeek:

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Albatross » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:34 pm

XboxHDM has always let me lock/unlock a compatible hdd with the eeprom.bin !
If you have multiple eeprom's backed up double check the serial numbers with LiveInfo Beta 3.

Irondrgntp
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by Irondrgntp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm

OKAY. I will allow flaming on everyone's behalf because I know I overlooked this small, but VERY significant detail. Since Ive been out of the game for a while... that is.

I compared the serial number on the bottom sticker of the XBOX to the backup TXT file which was created FROM the eeprom.bin file that I attempted to use. I guess this is why it didn't work.

BUT SOMEONE please explain why .. if the eeprom file was incorrect... how was it allowing me to allegedly UNLOCK LOCK and actually REBUILD......???? NOT saying it was properly done or actually happened even though the commands were "SUCCESFUL." thank you all.

psyko_chewbacca
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Irondrgntp wrote:I compared the serial number on the bottom sticker of the XBOX to the backup TXT file which was created FROM the eeprom.bin file that I attempted to use. I guess this is why it didn't work.
What are you saying here? The serial in the eeprom TXT file doesn't match the serial on your Xbox's case?
BUT SOMEONE please explain why .. if the eeprom file was incorrect... how was it allowing me to allegedly UNLOCK LOCK and actually REBUILD......???? NOT saying it was properly done or actually happened even though the commands were "SUCCESFUL." thank you all.
Probably that's because your HDD was locked with the HDD key/password contained in this eeprom.bin dump file; which is not the same that is currently stored in the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard. With the eeprom.bin file, XboxHDM can play with this HDD just fine since both the locked HDD and the eeprom.bin contain a matching key/password.

What I also don't understand is that you seem to be powering your HDD from the Xbox itself while using XboxHDM. This technique is only useful if your Xbox can already succesfully unlock your HDD; which is not your case. Hotswapping is only useful to let the Xbox unlock the HDD and then access its content using XboxHDM. If your Xbox cannot unlock the HDD in the first place, what's the point? In short, hotswap only if your Xbox can successfully boot to a working state. In your case it's useless. Power the HDD straight from your computer.


So, assuming you don't have the eeprom.bin file matching your Xbox motheboard, you'll need to either get a modchip or extract the content of the eeprom chip using an eeprom reader. Once done, use XboxHDM with the eeprom.bin file you found (that seem to be able to unlock/lock/rebuild your HDD right now) and unlock your HDD. After the drive is sucessfully unlocked (XboxHDM should be able to tell you the lock state of your HDD, if not put it back in your Xbox and you should get an error code 07 instead), lock your HDD using XboxHDM with the freshly dumped eeprom.bin file from your eeprom reader. The Xbox should then be able to unlock the drive by itself.

Post Reply