Xblast OS menu getting invoked with Brook XB2 /flashdrive connected

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
LMD

Xblast OS menu getting invoked with Brook XB2 /flashdrive connected

Post by LMD »

I have an Xbox 1.6 with Aladdin XT Plus2 modchip in the 256K + 512K + OS bank configuration with EvoX m8+ 1.6 flashed to both banks and XBlast OS.

If I connect a Brook Wingman XB2 or USB flashdrive then power on the XBOX then my system does not boot to the flubber animation. Instead the XBlast OS menu loads and I need to connect a standard XBOX controller to get out of the menu. Its boots fine with an official MS controller from standby.

This happens with XBlast 0.60, 0.56 and 0.55 but does not do this on 0.50! However with version 0.50 as soon as the dashboard loads then the power is cut to the Brook. Although not ideal, the workaround is to connect the Brook XB2 while the boot animation is playing (not from standby).

Is this by design or a bug with XBlast? Is XBlast still being developed and supported? If so then how do I report this to the developer?

Is XBlast OS intentionally checking to see if an official /whitelisted controller is connected and if not then to interrupt the boot process and invoke the XBlast OS menu?

I have Quickboot enabled and set to boot my custom EvoX bios on bank 2 with the power button and have also tried different BIOSs on both banks.

I have been advised the following:

1: Re-program the Aladdin modchip with 2 x 512MB banks via a JTAG programmer and use the XBlast OS XBE instead. However I do not have such hardware.
or
2. Edit lines 128-170 in xpad.c and add the Brook Wingman XB2's ID and re-compile XBlast OS. However I am not sure if this possible or allowed?

I do not have issues with the Brook XB2 on my other softmodded 1.4 XBOXs.

Many thanks.

P.S. Is XBlast 0.60 the official and the latest build or is it still 0.56? Can I flash the OS bank with the Gentoox Loader OS instead to test?
professor_jonny

Re: Xblast OS menu getting invoked with Brook XB2 /flashdrive connected

Post by professor_jonny »

Soon enough prometheousOS will be released that will fix these issues.
It is a rewrite of xblastOS that has had the ide driver worked for UDMA and patches to enable multithreaded operation.

Xblast OS has limited support for third party controllers and has a few small quirks and bugs you might have to put up with issues for the time being psycho_chewbacca no longer works on xblastOS.

There is a repo on bitbucket here :
https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/lpcmod_os/issues
LMD

Post by LMD »

Many thanks for the reply and info.
LMD

Post by LMD »

@professor_jonny

I can see that PrometheOS has just been released. Can this be flashed to Aladdin XT Plus2 modchips?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

LMD wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:05 pm I can see that PrometheOS has just been released. Can this be flashed to Aladdin XT Plus2 modchips?
I don't know on that one to be honest ask on the discord.
I would expect it to boot but some modchip specific features would not work properly, eventually there will be more builds for the various other modchips.
there are other builds for other modchips in progress.