My copy of Splinter Cell doesn't work because it's from the wrong region, so I figured I would softmod it via the hotswap method. I've done it in the past before switching to the gamesave method, so it's not a new process to me.
I initially attempted this using an IDE-USB adapter connected to my laptop. I've used this adapter to build SATA based hard drives in the past with success (using XboxHDM), so I figured it should work. After several failed attempts, I figured maybe there was a problem with using the adapter like that. I'm not sure why. So I switched to using a hardmodded Xbox of mine that has an X3 chip in it. I loaded up Chimp, did the hotswap, connected the stock drive to my chipped Xbox, then did a scan to see if the slave (stock) drive was locked or not. Every time it was reported as being locked.
I also tried taking my stock drive and making it my chipped Xbox's primary HDD and every time I did that it gave an error 6 (wrong HDD password... meaning it's locked).
My Japanese motherboard has been updated using a copy of Halo 2 so the dashboard is 5960 with kernel 4034.
I've tried these methods found in the Tutorials section of this subreddit, including
- Burn an audio CD and rip it to your hard drive. Play music from your hard drive for a few seconds and pause it, then hotswap. Note: I didn't use a burned disc, just a regular audio disc. Not sure if that matters.
- Let the Xbox sit at the dashboard for a few minutes, then hotswap.
- Remove the DVD drive power cable (8 wires) before booting. This results in an error 12, which indicates the hard drive is unlocked.
- Hotswap the drive right after you see the Microsoft logo upon boot.
- Unplug the Xbox from your TV, then unplug the DVD drive's power cable and hotswap when the Eject button light turns red.