original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Post Reply
somacast
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 15 times

original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by somacast » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

hello, i have a 500 gb hdd, so when i was installing it first a year ago it gave me hard time trying to ftp games to it, because it started to give me transfer errors after filling 150 gb of g partition, so i solved that at that time by transferring things alternatively between g & f partitions..
but thats not the issue

nowadays when i tried to install coinops 8 massive i had to delete some games from one of the partitios and send them to other to clear some space, so i ftp coinsop to g partition, with some ftp errors, but after re queue, but coinops had issue like ps1 & arcade games didn't work, so i thought of deleting coinops folder and resend it to the console by ftp, so i deleted the 82 gb from g..

and the crazy problem is, its deleted from list. , but the 80 gb space just lost, it did not come back!!!

what to do?

thank you

User avatar
professor_jonny
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 am
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by professor_jonny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am

sounds like a an incorrect bios.

somacast
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 15 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by somacast » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:29 am

mmm, I think that i did select the correct one, its a v1.6 console

shloader
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:25 pm
Location: Woodland, WA - USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by shloader » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Incorrect cluster size somehow? What app did you use to format it? If it was anything other than xbpt (or XBPartitioner) 1.2 or 1.3 I'd suggest formatting the extended partitions with that and giving it another go.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.

somacast
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 15 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by somacast » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:48 pm

shloader wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 pm
Incorrect cluster size somehow? What app did you use to format it? If it was anything other than xbpt (or XBPartitioner) 1.2 or 1.3 I'd suggest formatting the extended partitions with that and giving it another go.
thank you for the helpful reply, i had that on mind too, i used hexen cd, however i cant remember cluster size i left it as it was maybe 32, however i read somewhere that it should be 64 for 500 gb and above hdd,, so the pain is that i will need a format... thats painfullll..

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by Rocky5 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 am

somacast wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:48 pm
shloader wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 pm
Incorrect cluster size somehow? What app did you use to format it? If it was anything other than xbpt (or XBPartitioner) 1.2 or 1.3 I'd suggest formatting the extended partitions with that and giving it another go.
thank you for the helpful reply, i had that on mind too, i used hexen cd, however i cant remember cluster size i left it as it was maybe 32, however i read somewhere that it should be 64 for 500 gb and above hdd,, so the pain is that i will need a format... thats painfullll..
500GB partition and above, not the hole HDD just each partition.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

somacast
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 15 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by somacast » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Rocky5 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 am
somacast wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:48 pm
shloader wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 pm
Incorrect cluster size somehow? What app did you use to format it? If it was anything other than xbpt (or XBPartitioner) 1.2 or 1.3 I'd suggest formatting the extended partitions with that and giving it another go.
thank you for the helpful reply, i had that on mind too, i used hexen cd, however i cant remember cluster size i left it as it was maybe 32, however i read somewhere that it should be 64 for 500 gb and above hdd,, so the pain is that i will need a format... thats painfullll..
500GB partition and above, not the hole HDD just each partition.
Hi , thanks for your reply, could you just explain more please? what do you mean with each partition ? cant I just reformat the whole thing through hexen or evox cd???

thanks

Coldly-Indifferent
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by Coldly-Indifferent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 am

The extended partitions ie. F:\ and G:\ are the only ones you should be reformatting. If you make the mistake and try to reformat the whole HDD you'll wipe the dash/softmod.

With Chimp 261812 all you need to do is install it in Apps and use its format extended partitions menu option. It is self explanatory really but there's information here in various threads and if you search about how to do it.

Various Xbox Cluster sizes vs. Max Partition size

4KB - 64GB
8KB - 128GB
16KB - 256GB
32KB - 512GB
64KB - 1024GB

Anything already on F:\ and G:\, I think, will go if you alter the partition and/or cluster size but as I've only partitioned clean, new F:\ and G:\ drives do not quote me on that. In other words you'll probably need to backup what you have on there already but wait for Rocky5 or someone else who knows to confirm this because it could be a lot of unnecessary work otherwise. :)

somacast
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Has thanked: 15 times

Re: original xbox hdd partitions size glitch

Post by somacast » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks a lot really, but if the cluster size required is 32 already not 64, I think that this was the size used already so where is the problem then ???

Post Reply