Running ISO from file explorer

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Post Reply
Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Hey, am in the process of of trying to update my hardmodded xbox (chipped).
Im having the heXen 2017 iso (2GB size), and rocky5's extras softmod disc.

However i cant seem to boot any of the xbox itself, from the HDD, as my xbox seems pickey about reading TDK DVD-Rs. CD-RW just fine but file sizes are too big.
Right now its running UnleashX build 543, installed via Slayers 2.7. This one i want to update/install a newer version. Tried almost everything, quick-upgrade from rocky5 it just goes back to the dash, nothing upgraded after the upgrade process.

Having downloaded this version; http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -update-2/

Is that the most current/best i can install on a hard modded xbox?

Any tool aviable to mount iso's on the xbox itself, so i can FTP over?

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Rocky5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Check the documents folder where you download the extras disc, it tells you how to run it from the HDD.

Or you can just FTP the Quick Upgrade folder from the Quick Upgrade.zip ( in the installer variants folder ) to the root of E and run “E:\Quick upgrade\default.xbe”
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 pm

I tried the both, first the quick upgrade, when the quick upgrade is done, the xbox restarts and boots to the same old version. Then i tried the install extras disk, it doesnt start and returns to the unleasx menu. Tried both on E but also the other partitions to no avail
All this worked fine on the softmodded xbox.
Installing via slayers 2.7 works (cd rw) but its an old version.

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Rocky5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Tunnan29F wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 pm
I tried the both, first the quick upgrade, when the quick upgrade is done, the xbox restarts and boots to the same old version. Then i tried the install extras disk, it doesnt start and returns to the unleasx menu. Tried both on E but also the other partitions to no avail
All this worked fine on the softmodded xbox.
Installing via slayers 2.7 works (cd rw) but its an old version.
Ah crap sorry, yeah my disc and softmod stuff won’t work on hard modded systems.

Hexen or you can use my TSOP Flasher app to upgrade your bios and install everything you need. After that you can use my extras disc to install dashboards. ( you cannot run XISO files off the hdd without a special patcher for a couple bios )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8 ... nYzRE0yNmc
It’s hardcoded to E:\Applications\

Here is a BFM bios setup to be patched by the nkpatcher and this will let you run XISO files off the HDD. It uses my softmod dashboard paths, so you have 14 to choose from.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8 ... 3ZIZkl3c2c

You would just point your bios to boot C:\BFM\default.xbe again this is hardcoded as it uses PBL.
( never flash a BFM bios to a TSOP or chip, never )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Hehe no problem :P

Im totally unknown to soldering, otherwise i wouldve TSOP flashed both xboxes as i know its the best mod to do.
Or do you mean flashing my mod chip? I have no idea what kind of mod chip it is, might be an aladin, no idea, but i flashed to Evo M8 FC 67 i think it was.

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Rocky5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Tunnan29F wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 pm
Hehe no problem :P

Im totally unknown to soldering, otherwise i wouldve TSOP flashed both xboxes as i know its the best mod to do.
Or do you mean flashing my mod chip? I have no idea what kind of mod chip it is, might be an aladin, no idea, but i flashed to Evo M8 FC 67 i think it was.
What is it you’re wanting to do exactly?
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Rocky5 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm
Tunnan29F wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 pm
Hehe no problem :P

Im totally unknown to soldering, otherwise i wouldve TSOP flashed both xboxes as i know its the best mod to do.
Or do you mean flashing my mod chip? I have no idea what kind of mod chip it is, might be an aladin, no idea, but i flashed to Evo M8 FC 67 i think it was.
What is it you’re wanting to do exactly?
Right now im running UnleashX build 543, installed with the Slayers 2.7 disc. I would like to update to a newer more recent version, as the one i have is about 10 years old.
The rocky5 seems much newer/better, the one i have on my softmodded xbox.

I have FTP abilitys aswell as CD-RW 650mb, but have no DVDs that seem to work on both xboxs.

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Rocky5 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 am

Here are the skins for use outside of my softmod.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8 ... TJWdTRpWEU

Use this config file, just replace your current config.xml with this one.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... s/dash.xml

Here is the xbe, rename it to what ever your dashboard xbe is called and replace it.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... les/UX.xbe
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

Coldly-Indifferent
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Coldly-Indifferent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm

RE: the disc media compatibility matter.

Interesting and unusual problem as described but it does partially confirm my own tests in that of all the CD media CD-RW is the most widely compatible. There was inconsistency though: I have one Samsung 605F disc drive that reads them perfectly and another that refuses them completely.

If changing the brand of DVD-R being used doesn't work then the next best media type to try is DVD+R. When burned with ImgBurn at the lowest supported speed (x4) all the disc drives I tested (8) were compatible. The Philips was inconsistent but the oddest results were the two Samsung 605B which are otherwise the most universally compatible drive. When burned with anything other than ImgBurn they could not be read.

So when burning Xbox compatible discs:-

1). Use ImgBurn
2). Burn at the slowest supported speed.

This is not a critical matter if my tests are anything to go by but I did have one test result where setting a speed lower than the lowest supported speed resulted in an inconsistently unreadable disc. By that I mean most of the time it would not read but occasionally it would. I put this down to it being an old Philips drive, the least compatible one I've tested.

3). Use DVD-R.

I've yet to buy any brand/original manufacturer DVD-R which doesn't work with all Xbox disc drives. My feeling is that if a usually reliable brand like Verbatim isn't working and CD-RW is being read it more likely caused by a laser that either has a dirty lens, its ageing or is slightly out of adjustment.

My test results in order of media compatibility: DVD-R > DVD+R & CD-RW > DVD-RW > DVD+RW > CD-R.

4). On another forum I've come across several cases were Xbox disc burning problems were caused by the PC's DVD/RW drive due to ageing/wear and tear. So don't rule that out as a possible culprit.

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Rocky5 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 am
Here are the skins for use outside of my softmod.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8 ... TJWdTRpWEU

Use this config file, just replace your current config.xml with this one.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... s/dash.xml

Here is the xbe, rename it to what ever your dashboard xbe is called and replace it.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... les/UX.xbe
Okej thanks with those files i can mod over FTP makes life easier :D

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Coldly-Indifferent wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm
RE: the disc media compatibility matter.

Interesting and unusual problem as described but it does partially confirm my own tests in that of all the CD media CD-RW is the most widely compatible. There was inconsistency though: I have one Samsung 605F disc drive that reads them perfectly and another that refuses them completely.

If changing the brand of DVD-R being used doesn't work then the next best media type to try is DVD+R. When burned with ImgBurn at the lowest supported speed (x4) all the disc drives I tested (8) were compatible. The Philips was inconsistent but the oddest results were the two Samsung 605B which are otherwise the most universally compatible drive. When burned with anything other than ImgBurn they could not be read.

So when burning Xbox compatible discs:-

1). Use ImgBurn
2). Burn at the slowest supported speed.

This is not a critical matter if my tests are anything to go by but I did have one test result where setting a speed lower than the lowest supported speed resulted in an inconsistently unreadable disc. By that I mean most of the time it would not read but occasionally it would. I put this down to it being an old Philips drive, the least compatible one I've tested.

3). Use DVD-R.

I've yet to buy any brand/original manufacturer DVD-R which doesn't work with all Xbox disc drives. My feeling is that if a usually reliable brand like Verbatim isn't working and CD-RW is being read it more likely caused by a laser that either has a dirty lens, its ageing or is slightly out of adjustment.

My test results in order of media compatibility: DVD-R > DVD+R & CD-RW > DVD-RW > DVD+RW > CD-R.

4). On another forum I've come across several cases were Xbox disc burning problems were caused by the PC's DVD/RW drive due to ageing/wear and tear. So don't rule that out as a possible culprit.
Thank you very much for your post! IMGburn did the trick, that explains why my CD-RW worked, i burned that one with imgburn using my laptop, the dvds with my pc which didnt have imgburn. Tried burning HeXen with imgburn on slowest speed reported possible (3x), and it boots first time in both xboxes.
Too bad i wasted some dvds before but now i know :P

Type dvd is TDK DVD+R 16x, might anyone wonder if those work.

Any recommendations as a 'good to have' dvd for hard modded xboxes? Hexen 2017 seems only for softmodded units.

User avatar
Rocky5
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Rocky5 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Hexen is for both hardmods and softmods.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod


Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Ok i installed from hexen with the test-dvd but wasnt any update, same unleash version, going to try your files.

Edit: with your files i got the latest unleashx build, just gonna do a complete rebuild of the hdd since there was files everywhere, then il do with your files knowing how to now.

Tunnan29F
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Running ISO from file explorer

Post by Tunnan29F » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Got the whole thing running now, i can connect with filezilla even with your latest unleashx on the hardmodded xbox :P Might use coreftp anyway since thats whats working on the softmodded one.

Thanks for all the help, know what to do now for when im going to mod another xbox :)

Post Reply