[SUPPORT] XBMC4Xbox Installer - program plugin

Requests, suggestions, support, and everything else python / plugin related.
Dan Dar3

[SUPPORT] XBMC4Xbox Installer - program plugin

Post by Dan Dar3 »

XBMC4Xbox Installer (was known as "XBMC SVN Installer") - download / install nightly and stable builds of XBMC4Xbox.

How To Use (must read) Download: Credits:
  • BigBellyBilly - T3CH Upgrader script
  • B4K3D PI - stable / nightly builds
Changelog:
angel4b

Re: XBMC SVN Installer - program plugin

Post by angel4b »

Dan,

Thanks for your work on this SVN installer, it really makes updating sooo much easier. I was wondering if there was a way to still be able to use the plugin to update the xbox when the website is offline?

Thanks!
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@angel4b
There was a decision recently not to offer builds from the website here anymore - I'll need to find another source for the builds, and I'll update the plugin accordingly, still looking into that.

I'm pretty much in the same position as yourself, I wrote the plugin cause I found the manual update quite tedious, so I'll definitely look into bringing it back.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

v2.2 is out, let me know how it works.
Truman

Post by Truman »

When I try to set the current running version as the default so it will boot into xbmc I get an error message saying it cannot find shortcut.cfg and x2cingig.ini.

Any ideas what I can do here?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Truman
If you read the wiki page above, it'll tell you where it looks for them, but shortcut .cfg is when using Team XBMC shortcut and x2config.ini is when you have a Xecuter2 modchip. If you don't have either of those, it won't do much for you.
Truman

Post by Truman »

Thanks DanDar3. I did read the wiki and noted where it would look for those files.

I don't know what mod chip I have. I know it says EVO bIos and also has an AVALAUNCHER.

So if I follow the team xbmc instructions you linked to for the shortcut.xbe will this work for me?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Truman
Team XBMC shortcut can be used to have XBMC start at boot, and the path to the XBMC can be easily defined / modified in the .cfg file. But if you want to still use Avalaunch, instead of replacing it at boot, you can add the shortcut location in Avalaunch configuration, and have it start the shortcut to start in it's turn the new XBMC. This way you can use it the same way you've been using it, but introduce XBMC SVN Installer feature in the flow.

Listen, this might be a bit confusing, if you want to talk about your options, come on here:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=418
Truman

Post by Truman »

Thanks Dan Dar3, no its not confusing and I understand what your saying.
I don't want to use AVALAUNCH and am happy for it to boot direct into XBMC.

One question though currently if I boot the Xbox with a quick press of the power button it boots direct to Xbox but if I hold the power button down it boots to the Evox menu.

Will this still work so my sons can play games? So a quick boot takes you to Xbox menu but a hold power button boot takes you direct to XBMC bypassing the Evox menu?

Thanks once again.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Truman
You might want to start a new thread and ask for more details before I get you into trouble :-) To me it sounds like you got a modchip that chooses which dash to run depending on how you press it - you could use the XBMC File Manager and run one by one the .xbe's listed in the wiki, to find the one that's started first. That's the one you need to replace with the shortcut .xbe.

Before you do that though, you might want to copy the shortcut .xbe somewhere else, let's say E:\xbmcshort.xbe, and create an E:\xbmcshort.cfg even if it's empty. Then use XBMC SVN Installer - "make current", that should find the .cfg you just create and will update it to point to the new version you running. Then use XBMC File Manager to run this xbmcshort.xbe to validate the .xbe works and it can see the .cfg correctly. Once you validated this, you can copy and rename both accordingly later to overwrite the above startup .xbe, when you are comfortable with it.
Truman

Post by Truman »

When you say xbmc file manager do you mean run the debugging and check it to see the location of the xbe file it uses to start xbmc?

If not what exactly is the xbmc file manager? I can't find it anywhere.
Truman

Post by Truman »

When I look into my xbox via filezilla I see I have a file under C called evoxdash.xbe if I read Option 1 in the team xbmc shortcut link you gave me it seems I can follow those steps no worries except Im not sure about step 2. Rename your current dashboard to an alternate bootable name. This will be used as a fallback if execution of the new shortcut fails. Consult the table below, or www.xbox-scene.com for details on your dash.

Does this mean to rename my current evoxdash.xbe file to one of the other names listed

C:\avalaunch.xbe
C:\unleashx.xbe
C:\xbmc.xbe
C:\evoxdash.xbe
C:\xboxdash.xbe
C:\default.xbe
C:\msdash.xbe

And if so I assume one that I have a menu for such as avalaunch, so I would rename it to C:\avalaunch.xbe and keep it in C?? have I got that right?

I also have a file called xboxdash.xbe in my C drive. What exactly is this file used for? Is this the xbe file the link to "xbox media centre" points to in the evox dashboard when I choose it?
Could I rename my old evoxdash.xbe file to this instead of avalaunch?

So just to recap what Im understandng here, when you boot your xbox it uses evoxdash.xbe to load the evoxdashboard. Then depending on what menu option you choose from the evox dashboard it uses another xbe file to launch that option such as avalaunch or xbmc?
So we are replacing the current evoxdash.xbe file with the team xbmc shortcut which points directly to xbmc so the xbox boots direct to xbmc instead of the evox dashboard?? (And adding a cfg file to the same location (C drive)

Thanks again for all your help.
Truman

Post by Truman »

Truman wrote:When you say xbmc file manager do you mean run the debugging and check it to see the location of the xbe file it uses to start xbmc?

If not what exactly is the xbmc file manager? I can't find it anywhere.
Ok ignore this post. I couldn't find the file manager while using confluence but did once I switched to mayhem 3 skin.

I went into c drive and ran evoxdash.vbe and the main dashboard started which is the same dashboard the Xbox boots to.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

If you ever need file manager you'll find it in the sub-menu of system on confluence.
kl1k

Post by kl1k »

I'm having a problem with the installer. When I set the installation path I need to set it to E:\Apps\XBMC but after I browse and select the E: drive the installer hangs and I have to reboot.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@kl1k
I think I've seen this problem when the settings dialog is popped at you - try going into plug-in settings from the plugin list (white button, context menu, plugin settings) and set the path that way, then go back and run the plugin.
kl1k

Post by kl1k »

Thanks - that did the trick. Downloaded but now I must be blonde. I've clicked install - its downloaded but it doesnt seem to extract it. According to the wiki after the download you click ok and it's supposed to extract it. I clicked ok and it goes back to the menu?
kitana

Post by kitana »

Dan Dar3 wrote:v2.2 is out, let me know how it works.
I received a script error (unsupported protocol?) upon making a selection from the available builds. I'm trying to update to 3.2.1 Stable
http://pastebin.com/gpHNSXgA
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@k1k
Are you choosing "Download" or "Install" buttons? cause the first one does just that, downloads and on pressing on the last message will just back out. If you are choosing Install, that should download and then start extracting. If the archive was already downloaded from before (in the install location, e.g. e:\apps) it will try to use that - if that's broken though it should tell you and you get to restart the download. Maybe upload the xbmc.log at pastebin.com after you do the actions above and we'll see if any errors in there.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@kitana
The log indicates you have an incomplete plugin:

Code: Select all

00:04:42 M: 35381248   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Q:\plugins\programs\XBMC SVN Installer\default.py", line 49, in ?
gui = plugin.GUI( "xbmcsvn_build_info.xml", os.getcwd(), "default" )
TypeError: XML file(Q:\plugins\programs\XBMC SVN Installer\resources\skins\default\PAL\xbmcsvn_build_info.xml) for window is missing
I would recommend to download the plugin again, or if you want just the missing files, see here:
https://code.google.com/p/xbmc4xbox-add ... ault%2FPAL