Need help with a clean start

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Jouzer

Need help with a clean start

Post by Jouzer »

Hey, I recently dug my old softmodded Xbox out in order to install it to my hobby car. Years back I softmodded it with hotswapping, I can't quite remember the details and looking at the file manager now, everything is quite messed up. There's like 2 copies of evolutionX, old XBMC, MS dash and its backups and whatnot.

I'll be changing the HDD to this project and I'd really rather just start from the beginning than try patching all those dashes etc. Also, this time around, there seems to be a lot better tutorials and easier programs like Softmod Installer Deluxe.

So, I was wondering, would it work if extracted the eeprom and the E:\backup\ (I presume its the original C_drive backup), put it into xboxhdm (do I need anything for the drive E folder of the xboxhdm?) and create the new hd with that, lock it, and either hotswap or go mechassault..?

Do you see a flaw here?

Also, is there any way or point I can put the SID MechAssault backdoor savegame to the new fresh HD so I wouldn't have to get a memory card? Perhaps in a folder inside the original C drive backup..?

EDIT: I found on the SID instructions for harddisk recovery that it _should_ indeed work, but the instructions offered no clue as to which folder I should put the MechAssault save game..?

Also, if I go to evoX EEPROM recovery/backup tool now to backup (which I already did -_-) isn't it possible its backuping a shadow EEPROM? Where can I recover the original EEPROM backup from..?
whufclee

Re: Need help with a clean start

Post by whufclee »

If it were me I would use xboxhdm and all you need is your eeprom backup files so it can lock the hdd.

Once the new HDD is working in the xbox burn a copy of HeXEn to disc and boot up the xbox from that and then re-do the softmod with that. There is a video guide I've done for this (softmod part 2 - HeXEn disc) which will show you exactly how easy it is to do. Once HeXEn has done it's thing just ftp over a new build, again I'd recommend watching my video guide on "update via ftp". You can find these video guides in the tutorial sections, HeXEn is definitely the best softmod tool to use - if you do a search you'll see why this is always my choice over Slayers, AID etc. ;)
Jouzer

Post by Jouzer »

Hello, and thanks for a super quick reply!

I will check into the HeXen. Yeah, I scrapped the idea of using the SID, I was going to go with latest Ndure which is build upon the latest NKPatcher which means no problems with clock resetting (which it will do, since its gonna be in my car, dont wanna go to dash everytime)

Anyhow, I too realized thats how simple it is, I now need to find the real EEPROM still, as I believe the one that is stored in my xbox is probably the shadow eeprom, as earlier while i was playing with the xbox I just half accidentally pressed the backup eeprom button not realizing, the original would be overwritten. I'm hoping to find a file somewhere within my xbox now, any clues accepted. :D

EDIT: I stumbled upon the how-to. It turns out, you need to create a new file to the root of your E:\ called EEPROM_off.bin .. it could be a empty text file or whatever. That toggless of the shadow eeprom, which enables me to backup the real eeprom again. Now to making the cd.. and choosing a HDD, don't have one yet. :)

Thanks!
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Now if it was me, i would fix the current softmod and if its a pre V1.6 i would tsop flash it and then fit the new hdd and then use AID to format the hdd and install the dash fils etc - but thats just me ;)
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
r3dsk1n

Post by r3dsk1n »

bigkidoz wrote:Now if it was me, i would fix the current softmod and if its a pre V1.6 i would tsop flash it and then fit the new hdd and then use AID to format the hdd and install the dash fils etc - but thats just me ;)
What are the advantages of a tsop flash vs softmodding?
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

With a TSOP or a modchip you don't need to lock your HDD.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Ah yes if you have soldering skills definately tsop. I've still got a few xbox units in the workshop ready for me to attempt my first tsop. However I'd still use HeXEn but that's just me (well I might use Slayers to flash the bios) ;)
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

whufclee wrote:Ah yes if you have soldering skills definately tsop. I've still got a few xbox units in the workshop ready for me to attempt my first tsop. However I'd still use HeXEn but that's just me (well I might use Slayers to flash the bios) ;)

Hexen will do a TSOP flash. What reason is there for using slayers? do which utility is newer?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will reply soon but I believe the Slayers has bios files that aren't on HeXEn. As far as I'm aware I don't think HeXEn has a flubberless one.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Hexen can flash winbond tsop's but slayers cant, Hexen is newer as is AID 4.53, i use both Hexen (for tsop flashing ) and AID for formatting and setting up the software but each to their own as they say.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

I am also looking to do a clean install on a 2tb drive. You spoke of using AID to set up your software. Can you elaborate more on what and how you use it?

I am looking to do a full format and do a minimalistic install of just xbmc and then add applications and dashes as I see the need for. Is AID a good tool for this?