OS and other xbox ports

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
professor_jonny

Re: OS and other xbox ports

Post by professor_jonny »

NOTTHESAME wrote:http://xbox-linux.cvs.sourceforge.net/v ... nvtv-xbox/ does anyone know to get this to run
it has a make file and it looks like you need to setup a development enviroment to compile it.

that is only a nividia tvout driver for linux and all it currently does is changes overscan modes on PAL and NTSC xbox with composite cable.
why would you need it when there are plenty of distros that can output in multiple resolutions and formats.

also i believe in the newer kernels a new i2c driver was implemented and it broke control of the rol lights and it may not work on different newer kernels as i2c is used to control the tv out on the xbox.

or is there something I am missing ?
xtecuterx73

Post by xtecuterx73 »

professor_jonny wrote:
NOTTHESAME wrote:http://xbox-linux.cvs.sourceforge.net/v ... nvtv-xbox/ does anyone know to get this to run
it has a make file and it looks like you need to setup a development enviroment to compile it.

that is only a nividia tvout driver for linux and all it currently does is changes overscan modes on PAL and NTSC xbox with composite cable.
why would you need it when there are plenty of distros that can output in multiple resolutions and formats.

also i believe in the newer kernels a new i2c driver was implemented and it broke control of the rol lights and it may not work on different newer kernels as i2c is used to control the tv out on the xbox.

or is there something I am missing ?
Hello Professor_Jonny

Allow me to clear this up. NOTTHESAME is asking about using this program to find low resolution modes on xbox. Namely on the conexant chip and maybe the focus, but def not the excalibur.

Since we know the addresses of the registers for conexant and focus, using nvtv should help find what values to use. We know Conexant can output 320x240 starting as it's lowest res mode, this is even stated in the datasheets.

Out of curiosity, what other programs are there that can make the xbox output in anything else besides 480i, 480p, and 720p? As far as i know 480i or 480p is the lowest i have seen ANY program get the xbox to output, i have limited knowledge with nvtv, but ive spoke with the creator of it and this program CAN be used to find this value.

And to clear one more thing up obviously this will benefit older game consoles being emulated on the xbox, as using this res on anything else would be just plain silly. If you have any info or insight please let me know, Im not top level video guy but do work on patching things into the emulators.
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

hey thanks for clearing that up for me X just trying to help out to see if something you guys need will come up sooner or later over at the Emu Station, thanks again as X said if anyone has any more info please report to X thank you. :)
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

Hi all, started working on the Xbox's again and remembered about Linux and windows on the xbox. i managed to get the Xphazer's version of xdsl (Thanks for that, was a big fan in the past) but unfortunately i cant remember what else what out and the little i do find the download links are well dead. i used to have a number of disks whufclee sent to me with various distributions but unfortunately these were lost during a house move.

Could someone give me abit of info of whats still available and point me to some downloads. Id love to get my hands on whatever i can especially the different releases and if possible the windows 98 image (lite or ce or something like that) as i just found the 3x version on one of my portable hdd's lol

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

Update: Ok so i managed to get my hands on most of the Linux stuff now. Various xdsl's, gentoox, xebian, xubuntu and a few others. as mentioned i still have the windows 3x port but unfortunately cant find the windows 98 lite image anywhere. could someone point me in the right direction to get a copy?

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
professor_jonny

ReactOS is something you could look into it was re introduced into mainline a while back I think they have a usb driver sorted now.

I'm not really following it too much on xedev discord I just pop in to look every now and then.

I use to use win 98 lite on my pc there was a tool to create a custom win98 image and you could run-through installer on Linux using an emulator, it was unusably slow tho.
professor_jonny

You can join the linux discussion on xedev on discord?

https://discord.gg/WxJPPyz