xboxhdm23usb

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Rapper_skull

Re: xboxhdm23usb

Post by Rapper_skull »

I made a Beta4 with some new functionalities. I added an instruction file to the package, with some tips and the changelog. Here it is:
Xbox Hard Drive Maker for Windows

Use it to lock/unlock your Xbox HDD. You can also use it to temporarily unlock it without disabling security (not all drives will work this way). Put your "eeprom.bin" file in this folder.
You can also run XboxHD inside Qemu to prepare the drive. Just make sure to put your files in "HDD_files/C/" and "HDD_files/E/". You may want to start from "Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox" and add your custom dashboard and/or applications.
By default, the program only detects external media. If your drive is detected by Windows, but not by the program, you can toggle "Safe Mode" OFF. This will show all the drives. Please double check what drive you're selecting, as you may accidentally wipe your computer. You have been warned.

Beta4 by Rapper_skull adds the following:
- Show all external drives, not only USB ones
- Safe Mode toggle to show all drives
- Removed all external scripts and unified the code
- Select 32/64-bit smartctl automatically
- Try to use smartctl's "-d sat" option and fallback to "auto" if the drive does not behave correctly
- Add option to temporarily unlock the HDD without disabling security (not compatible with all drives)
- Update smartctl to version 7.2 (2020-12-30)
- Scan for drives before every action. No need to connect them before opening the program.
- Uniform GUI size
- Other GUI changes

Please note that, contrary to Beta3, no files for C and E are provided in the package. Just add what you want/need.

Some notes about drives and adapters/enclosures/docks:
- Some combinations of drives and adapters will hang for a long time on the "Probing device type" message. Don't worry, it's fine.
- Not all adapters behave nicely with locked HDDs. If your PC can't detect your locked HDD, please try another adapter.
- As a corollary, lock your drive only when you're sure you've finished. The moment you power it down, it will lock and your adapter may not read it anymore.
- Not all drives will lock. Using "-d sat" improves compatibility, but some drives simply don't support the security commands.
- Some times operations will fail for apparently no reason. If you got an error locking/unlocking your drive, please try one more time. If it fails again, power cycle it and retry.
If you want, here are the download links:
https://mega.nz/file/RptCWRyJ#DIjQzlQ_0 ... 7hz3OEavMI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qdrULp ... sp=sharing

I also made a patch to port security functionalities to newer versions of smartmontools, based on the work of TheMuso:
https://mega.nz/file/ZhlwwbTK#XDKekpbSc ... cFP4IytuFs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kz45Cy ... sp=sharing
TL GAMER

Post by TL GAMER »

This entire program is a piece of shit that not a single person can write any usable instructions for it.

This program is so far beyond fucked up, the written instructions are only good for wiping ones own ass. People need to stop posting stupid shit texxt documents and produce a fully detailed step by step video tutorial that shows everything because right now, the video I made show what happens:

As you can see XBOXHDM usb cannot be used to ever unlock a HDD in my condition.
Rapper_skull

Post by Rapper_skull »

TL GAMER wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 am This entire program is a piece of shit that not a single person can write any usable instructions for it.

This program is so far beyond fucked up, the written instructions are only good for wiping ones own ass. People need to stop posting stupid shit texxt documents and produce a fully detailed step by step video tutorial that shows everything because right now, the video I made show what happens:

If you haven't understood something, just ask for help. Your behaviour is disrespectful toward all the people that contributed to this and is frankly unacceptable in a normal society. So please apologize and, if you need any help, feel free to ask it here. If you think you found any problem or bug with this piece of software, write a detailed explanation here.
Make sure you accompany everything with clear photos/screenshots/terminal output. Blurred videos not accepted.

EDIT: Also, don't write angry PMs to people.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The guy has a bee in his bonnet and been banned from at least one other Xbox forum in the last couple of weeks for similar posts.

I thought he'd calmed down so I was happy to make allowances and tried to be helpful but that last post was strike three for me.

I just don't get posts like that because if somebody wants help that is not the way to do it.
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

TL GAMER wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 am This entire program is a piece of shit that not a single person can write any usable instructions for it.

You place the file, eeprom.bin, in the folder where xboxhd.bat - the startup batch file for XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 - is located on your PC. (note: XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4 also has that batch file present in its top-level folder.)

I'd suggest using XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 to unlock your hard drive. It will only show you the (Xbox - make that) any hard drives connected to the PC with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

If and when Windows prompts you to initialize or format the Xbox hard drive, CANCEL.

Windows thinks the hard drive needs to be initialized since it does not recognize the filesystem on the Xbox drive - FATX.
TL GAMER

Post by TL GAMER »

Beta doesn't unlock the drive either.

The HDD cannot be unlocked using XBOXHDM or XBOXHDM usb

I actually resolved the issue via a method that isn't even mentioned in any guide or vidoe or tutorial anywhere on the net
TL GAMER

Post by TL GAMER »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:04 pm The guy has a bee in his bonnet and been banned from at least one other Xbox forum in the last couple of weeks for similar posts.
FYI I don't have other accounts on other sites so get bent and piss off you instigating gnat.

The fact that someone else posted almost the same problem isn't possible right far be it to accept that as a fact. Nope according to people like you, anyone who posts any problems that are simlar must all be the same person.

Go back to the Steam forum where the kids are and indulge in the eating of paint chips
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I'm probably wasting my time asking but Is there any chance that you can share the method you finally used to resolve your problem?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@TL GAMER
You can talk about technical problems all day, we can take one's language on how they feel about a certain thing on a given day up to a reasonsable amount, BUT it all stops when you're going at people.
Please stop being unnecessarily aggresive.
2questionsagain

Post by 2questionsagain »

Dan Dar3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm @TL GAMER
You can talk about technical problems all day, we can take one's language on how they feel about a certain thing on a given day up to a reasonsable amount, BUT it all stops when you're going at people.
Please stop being unnecessarily aggresive.
I got news for you, He wasn't rude or aggressive and didn't go at anyone until AFTER he was targeted with massive shit posting from a lot of people on here. Furthermore posting what you just did usually causes the person to become even more of an a-hole..

You all need to check your own attitude. every forum it's the same thing, the people on the forum set up and cause problems, then people like you who do not see what led up to what is going on, come in and post the type of reply you just left which provokes the person even further.
You all caused his attitude, now you're acting like none of you had any part in being the way he is.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@2questionsagain
2questionsagain wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:57 am I got news for you, He wasn't rude or aggressive and didn't go at anyone until AFTER he was targeted with massive shit posting from a lot of people on here. Furthermore posting what you just did usually causes the person to become even more of an a-hole..

You all need to check your own attitude. every forum it's the same thing, the people on the forum set up and cause problems, then people like you who do not see what led up to what is going on, come in and post the type of reply you just left which provokes the person even further.
You all caused his attitude, now you're acting like none of you had any part in being the way he is.
Just wondering if you read his previous comments, I just did (read them within each thread, not just the highlights).
search.php?author_id=9338&sr=posts

He's only been here for the last two weeks and he's been s**ting and p**sing on everything anyone made for not being up to the level of quality he is demanding, probably only matched by his level of contribution to the project and the community.

The mind boggles how we all managed to get along just great for the last 10 years. I guess we needed someone to remind us that we need to step up our game and provide higher quality stuff to grateful people like him, take some shit ocasionally cause hey, it's difficult times and be careful not to provoke the person any further. I agree with you, it was all wrong of me. I didn't want to ban him on what I thought it was his first and I was wrong. It won't happen again. Thank you.
2questionsagain

Post by 2questionsagain »

Dan Dar3 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:16 pmThe mind boggles how we all managed to get along just great for the last 10 years.
That is exactly my point, someone came along and found a flaw in the communities so called precious system, and they got threatened by it..Communities like this cannot have an outsider showing cracks in a system they believe is flawless. So instead of stepping back, you all instantly went on the defensive you all flipped out.

That behavior is the first thing a tight nit community like this one does any time they have an outsider correct something they think isn't an actual issue and they do it to the point where the person can only take so much before saying something. They then use that as ammunition just as you did in your last reply. You tried using the whole "Things were fine before they got here" line of BS.

No the problem is you all cannot handle being shown something to be wrong.

So thank you for confirming what I already said. You all provoked him into that type of reaction, now you're trying to pass it off as he just came in and started going off on people and that isn't what happened at all. Remember I watched everything unfold so your comments and defense trying to blame someone else for the problems the people on this forum created with someone because remember I was here and watched everything happen. I saw personal attacks, posts and topics both deleted and edited by staff changing what was said, i have even seen people carefully butcher a reply to make it say something totally different.

So please just stop!
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

2questionsagain wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 am That is exactly my point, someone came along and found a flaw in the communities so called precious system, and they got threatened by it..Communities like this cannot have an outsider showing cracks in a system they believe is flawless. So instead of stepping back, you all instantly went on the defensive you all flipped out.

That behavior is the first thing a tight nit community like this one does any time they have an outsider correct something they think isn't an actual issue and they do it to the point where the person can only take so much before saying something. They then use that as ammunition just as you did in your last reply. You tried using the whole "Things were fine before they got here" line of BS.

No the problem is you all cannot handle being shown something to be wrong.

So thank you for confirming what I already said. You all provoked him into that type of reaction, now you're trying to pass it off as he just came in and started going off on people and that isn't what happened at all. Remember I watched everything unfold so your comments and defense trying to blame someone else for the problems the people on this forum created with someone because remember I was here and watched everything happen. I saw personal attacks, posts and topics both deleted and edited by staff changing what was said, i have even seen people carefully butcher a reply to make it say something totally different.

So please just stop!
No idea what you're on about. It's not about any precious anything or cracks in any system, it's just simply about being damn civil. Especially to someone that did something so you can come and piss about.

I cannot handle it not because I am wrong, but simply because I am quite angry with ungrateful people - how about a "hey, look, you wrote this shit that I cannot get it work, this is what I did, what do you think went wrong, where can I look for things to fix it" instead of "hey, who made this shit, it's your job to explain it to me, you clown". Hundreds of wasted personal hours for someone to come along and says to your face "your work is shit, cause it doesn't work for me". That's all you need to keep going and give some more. You've no idea how offensive that attitude is until you're on the other side of it.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

I've got an old 3.5" IDE drive that I pulled out of my old XBox. If I remember correctly, I think I corrupted some of its dashboard files while trying to repair it. I'm trying to use xboxhdm-2.3-beta4 to unlock it and restore it from a backup, but my USB to IDE adapters don't seem to be supported. Do y'all have a recommendation for a USB to IDE adapter that's supported? I tried checking the compatibility list on the first page, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between what's a portable hard disk, sata hdd, etc. Also, none of the devices listed show up in an Amazon search. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I just get a SATA adapter instead and move on up to a big-boy hdd?

Also, I'm a software engineer who knows Python, C++, Linux system administration, and CI/CD, and I also need a hobby. The first time I ran Linux was on my XBox in 2006, so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic and grateful to this (ancient) community. Is there anything I could contribute to the cause of getting xboxhdm up and running well on Windows?
Rapper_skull

Post by Rapper_skull »

Alaric wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am I've got an old 3.5" IDE drive that I pulled out of my old XBox. If I remember correctly, I think I corrupted some of its dashboard files while trying to repair it. I'm trying to use xboxhdm-2.3-beta4 to unlock it and restore it from a backup, but my USB to IDE adapters don't seem to be supported. Do y'all have a recommendation for a USB to IDE adapter that's supported? I tried checking the compatibility list on the first page, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between what's a portable hard disk, sata hdd, etc. Also, none of the devices listed show up in an Amazon search. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I just get a SATA adapter instead and move on up to a big-boy hdd?

Also, I'm a software engineer who knows Python, C++, Linux system administration, and CI/CD, and I also need a hobby. The first time I ran Linux was on my XBox in 2006, so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic and grateful to this (ancient) community. Is there anything I could contribute to the cause of getting xboxhdm up and running well on Windows?
Are you getting any error? Is the HDD recognized by Windows, first of all?
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Are you getting any error? Is the HDD recognized by Windows, first of all?
As of my posting, the drive was able to connect to Windows and display the correct size in disk management. It would actually show up in beta4, but only after toggling off "safe mode". When I selected it, I got lots of complaints about smartmontools wanting me to set a -d (IIRC) and "-T permissive"when attempting to unlock the HDD or check its lock status. Now, however, I'm having trouble getting that HDD to show up at all.

I've got another 40GB IDE drive lying around I'm trying now, and Beta4 is failing to lock the drive (after toggling safe mode off). Here's the error message.

Code: Select all

Probing device type (this may take a while)... Device NOT compatible with SAT type

smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155M [x86_64-w64-mingw32-w10-2004] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT failed, Error=121

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Press any key to continue . . .
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

More Info: After rebooting I've been able to get the first drive recognized again. This drive was previously working in my XBox, so it should be possible to lock and unlock it when connected to a proper IDE motherboard (and therefore presumably from a USB adapter).

Data from device manager:
HDD Device Type: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0 USB Device (IDE drive)
USB Adapter Device Type: XinTop XT-U33502 USB Device

Here's the result from attempting to unlock the drive. Attempting a lock is similar. Checking lock status is similar as well.

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
────────────────────────────────────?by ldotsfan
────────────────────────────────────?GUI by Rocky5
────────────────────────────────────?Beta 4 by Rapper_skull
────────────────────────────────────?Version B4
 Warning: Safe Mode is OFF Please be careful.

Menu = Disable xbox hard drive lock

0. PHYSICALDRIVE0 - ...
 1. PHYSICALDRIVE1 - ...
 2. PHYSICALDRIVE2 - ...
 3. PHYSICALDRIVE3 - ...
 4. PHYSICALDRIVE4 - ...
 5. PHYSICALDRIVE5 - XinTop XT-U33502 USB Device

or press "Enter" to go back.

Enter Choice: 5

Probing device type (this may take a while)... Device NOT compatible with SAT type

In disk manager it's recognized as Disk 6 ("Unknown", "Not Initialized", "Unallocated")
Rapper_skull

Post by Rapper_skull »

Alaric wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:12 am More Info: After rebooting I've been able to get the first drive recognized again. This drive was previously working in my XBox, so it should be possible to lock and unlock it when connected to a proper IDE motherboard (and therefore presumably from a USB adapter).

Data from device manager:
HDD Device Type: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0 USB Device (IDE drive)
USB Adapter Device Type: XinTop XT-U33502 USB Device

Here's the result from attempting to unlock the drive. Attempting a lock is similar. Checking lock status is similar as well.

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
────────────────────────────────────?by ldotsfan
────────────────────────────────────?GUI by Rocky5
────────────────────────────────────?Beta 4 by Rapper_skull
────────────────────────────────────?Version B4
 Warning: Safe Mode is OFF Please be careful.

Menu = Disable xbox hard drive lock

0. PHYSICALDRIVE0 - ...
 1. PHYSICALDRIVE1 - ...
 2. PHYSICALDRIVE2 - ...
 3. PHYSICALDRIVE3 - ...
 4. PHYSICALDRIVE4 - ...
 5. PHYSICALDRIVE5 - XinTop XT-U33502 USB Device

or press "Enter" to go back.

Enter Choice: 5

In disk manager it's recognized as Disk 6 ("Unknown", "Not Initialized", "Unallocated")
Unfortunately this is the sign of an incompatible or faulty adapter. You have all the other options: get an IDE to SATA adapter and install a SATA drive in your Xbox, try another IDE adapter, get a SATA to IDE adapter and try to use the SATA port on the same USB adapter (even if I doubt this last option will work). Unfortunately not all adapters implement all commands, even if they should, since ATA locking is mandatory. For example my SATA docking station would not unlock any drive.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Unfortunately this is the sign of an incompatible or faulty adapter. You have all the other options: get an IDE to SATA adapter and install a SATA drive in your Xbox, try another IDE adapter, get a SATA to IDE adapter and try to use the SATA port on the same USB adapter (even if I doubt this last option will work). Unfortunately not all adapters implement all commands, even if they should, since ATA locking is mandatory. For example my SATA docking station would not unlock any drive.
Yeah, I expected as much. Do you happen to know of any adapter in particular that's known to work? Do you know of any compatibility lists for IDE to USB adapters in regards to locking and unlocking HDD's?

Thanks for your help.
Rapper_skull

Post by Rapper_skull »

Alaric wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm Yeah, I expected as much. Do you happen to know of any adapter in particular that's known to work? Do you know of any compatibility lists for IDE to USB adapters in regards to locking and unlocking HDD's?

Thanks for your help.
I don't think there's a list. I'm currently using a disk enclosure based around the JMicron JM20337 chipset.