XBOX shuts down after xbmc logo

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
.vince

XBOX shuts down after xbmc logo

Post by .vince »

Hi,
The covid19 lockdown finally gave me time to dig in my old stuff and I restarted my XBOX (it used to work perfectly)

Unfortunately, I cannot pass the xbmc4xbox logo (it just appears in a flash before the shutdown.

The XBOX has a Xenium chip and is connected on my TV with a composite cable. I've setup debug log and here it is : https://pastebin.com/XvhYrgjs

it ends up with :
22:30:26 M: 32903168 INFO: Current Date is: 4-4-2020
22:30:26 M: 32903168 NOTICE: start dvd mediatype detection
22:30:26 M: 32837632 NOTICE: initializing playlistplayer
22:30:26 M: 32837632 DEBUG: Compiled with libcdio Version 0.72
22:30:26 M: 32837632 NOTICE: DONE initializing playlistplayer
22:30:26 M: 32837632 INFO: lcd not used
I've tried with the latest version of xbmc4xbox on a fresh directory without luck.

Could it be related to the TV resolution or incompatibility ?
.vince

Re: XBOX shuts down after xbmc logo

Post by .vince »

Great ressources on this forum !

This actually helped me out : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3969&
<advancedsettings>
<powersave>false</powersave>
</advancedsettings>
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Well done .vince, glad you found the solution! :-) (Y)
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Interesting information so a powersave/over-heating issue; had not read that other thread and the potentially very useful information there.

I do think though that the report of the temperature being up to 70C should be considered very worrying.

With my v1.6 (which reports notably higher temps than other versions) I switch the fan speed up to x2 (40%) when UnleashX reports temperatures above 60C. That usually only happens when the ambient temperature is in the high twenties early thirties Centigrade.

But that is with the UnleashX dash whose temperature reports are highly suspect (Evox is worse); typically if I change dashboards from UnleashX to XBMC the highest temperature is at least 8C lower than UnleashX ie. 52C if UnleashX is showing 60C.

The aim temperature I've set for XBMC is 50C and what I find happens is that the fan kicks in at high speed, quickly gets the temperature down to below 50C and then reduces speed right back down to x2 (20%) and only needs to speed up again with heavy use, usually when playing a game.

Point is that in that other thread the report was of temperatures up to 70C when using XBMC. That and the shutdown is not at all normal and suggests a significant problem with the cooling.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Coldly-Indiferent
It is worth reading the other thread - it was a change as it was found that HLT enabled by default on some machines it was causing then to shutdown soon after starting XBMC4Xbox.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserDa ... wersave.3E
<powersave>
Set to false to disable CPU idle task (HLT) to prevent some machines from randomly shutting down. (from 3.5, r32955).
But yes, disabling it it will cause the CPU usage, temperature and fan speed to go higher, but unfortunatelly it was the only solution for the original problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLT_(x86_instruction)
hal9000

Post by hal9000 »

Check the capacitors