Xbox - Is this a modded dashboard?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Scottman187

Xbox - Is this a modded dashboard?

Post by Scottman187 »

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing an xbox off the Facebook Marketplace. Can someone confirm if this is a modded dashboard? It says what I think is Demos in the top right hand corner, idk just checking, I am new. Can the xbox by default store games and tv shows to the hard drive?

Link: https://imgur.com/a/OioBhud

Thank you,
Scott
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Xbox - Is this a modded dashboard?

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

It is impossible to tell whether the Xbox is actually modded or not from that picture. The shot shows a demo games' disc main menu and that is what it will look like whether played from the retail or a modded console dash.

I actually recognised the demo disc as a version of one that came free with the most retail Xboxes. I've just found my own copy and it looks pretty much the same: JSRF and Sega GT full games plus demos for Blinx and some others; not an identical selection but likely because my one is a PAL version and I'd suspect that is NTSC. All it mean is that the console works and the disc drive is at least serviceable, which is actually useful and important information.

The retail Xbox's HDD is not user accessible - the nearest you get to using its very limited storage capacity directly is when ripping audio CDs. It plays DVDs of course but you can't rip them to the HDD.

To get the most out of it a Xbox really does need to be modded in some way. Softmodding is relatively easy and after that fitting a bigger HDD (up to 2TB) and using it for the sorts of things you mention becomes possible.
Scottman187

Post by Scottman187 »

Hey, thanks for the reply. The main thing in reference is that it says "Full Game" for Sega Gt 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future, by default I didn't think you could add stuff like this to the hard drive, they are selling this as non modded. It indicates that buffy and blinx are "videos" can you copy these by default to the hard drive. This is what lead me to ask, based on what is shown there are two full games on the hard drive? and two shows?

Thanks for the reply,
Scott
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Hey, even if it's not modded, I'm sure we could help you out with that. ;)

If you're on reddit, you can sign up for the free softmodding sharing chain. People mail softmodding tools to each other at no cost. I have a memory card and game floating around out there myself.
More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/c ... in_part_6/
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Scottman187

Post by Scottman187 »

I want it stock so I can learn the mod process from start to finish. Thank you for the info!!!
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Scottman187 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 pm Hey, thanks for the reply. The main thing in reference is that it says "Full Game" for Sega Gt 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future, by default I didn't think you could add stuff like this to the hard drive, they are selling this as non modded. It indicates that buffy and blinx are "videos" can you copy these by default to the hard drive. This is what lead me to ask, based on what is shown there are two full games on the hard drive? and two shows?

Thanks for the reply,
Scott
What the picture shows is the demo disc's main menu, that's not the HDD content. Along with the game demos it does include both full games; they're all on just one disc. JSRF and Sega GT are both well under 2GB each so, along with the demos, they easily fitted on one disc.

There is a disc burning tool which will allow you to do the same thing yourself but, of course, you can not boot any burned game discs unless the Xbox is modded. Burning two or more games to a single disc is a bit redundant when you can rip games to the HDD but it may be useful for backups or some other reason.
Scottman187

Post by Scottman187 »

Thank you for the reply! I understand what you are saying now, thanks for the clarification!

Thank you,
Scott
nevez

Post by nevez »

Thanks!
This is what they say, all things in life are games. I'm all for virtual games. I want to find triple chance kostenlos spielen. But I don't know where to.