Forum infected by spammers / hackers

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
ramon zarat

Forum infected by spammers / hackers

Post by ramon zarat »

Hi,

Just got an e-mail saying I just won something and to click on a suspicious link by user Wb4_kzj6_. This user registered on may 24, never posted a single time, and now PM people (I'm assuming a lot more than just me), which send an email notification, with the suspicious link to claim a prize (link on both the email notification an the PM message). I also noticed a bunch of strange user names currently logged in as I write this:

_m2bdl5h
O_d29wgge
Y7ur_asr2

All 4 have registered on may 24 within a few minutes of each other. You have been invaded folks.
thebaldconvict

Re: Forum infected by spammers / hackers

Post by thebaldconvict »

Came here to give the same warning.
Cael

Post by Cael »

i just reported the PM's
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I let xPhazer know.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
kolosus

Post by kolosus »

I got a link and winning notification message from a mod. Heather9009. The infiltration is deep.
Same MO.
iceman-uk

Post by iceman-uk »

Same for me from "O_d29wgge"

DO NOT follow the link in the PM

I have let forum mod "Buzz" know.
2 Bunny

We'll never know what it said...

Post by 2 Bunny »

I completely forgot that this site even still existed until I received an "Important message from the forum administration!" Sadly, it wasn't meant to be, as the message was gone by the time I signed in.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Sounds ^ like the same sort of email I've been receiving and deleting usually without even opening - but I checked the most recent one and just like the first I'd received months ago it reported a new PM from some unknown XBMC4Xbox member sent by buzz exotica org uk. Apparently this purports to be the XBMC4Xbox forum informing me of such a messages as per my preference settings.

Obviously I did not click on the link provided (doh!) and when I came here direct there is no PM or notification and has not been since early March. Highly suspicious.

They tend to appear in my Inbox soon after the latest spamming attacks on the forum.

Can the real BuZz or one of the other admin please confirm one way or another whether these informational emails are genuine or not? If it is genuine my guess is that the PM was the dodgy thing and has been deleted by the forum admin but if that is the case why are we not being informed about that.

What is going on? Have our email addresses and been compromised?
2 Bunny

Not that complicated

Post by 2 Bunny »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:55 am What is going on? Have our email addresses and been compromised?
No. You got a notification of a new message. The account which sent the message has been deleted, so you no longer have the message.
Coldly-Indifferent

Yes I get that and certainly it is not complicated :roll: but the question still has not been answered: is that buzz exotica org uk a genuine email notification from this forum or not? Confirmation of that is the main reason I posted.
2 Bunny

Yeah, it's illegitimately legitimate

Post by 2 Bunny »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 am Yes I get that and certainly it is not complicated :roll: but the question still has not been answered: is that buzz exotica org uk a genuine email notification from this forum or not? Confirmation of that is the main reason I posted.
It's about as legitimate as the "xbmc4xbox.org.uk" domain, in my opinion. And yes, I can confirm that it was like that years ago back in the heyday of the forum. All of the notifications come from that email address. You might have even noticed it for notifications relating to this thread.
Coldly-Indifferent

Thank you.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Yes, it is the same Buzz (main developer) here.
* https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/development/
* http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... repository
* https://redmine.exotica.org.uk/users/1

Exotica.org.uk is his domain where he is also hosting this forum website and SVN.
https://www.exotica.org.uk/