New to xmbc need help please

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Jrodc99

New to xmbc need help please

Post by Jrodc99 »

So i bought an OG modded xbox (xbmc) off of ebay a year or 2 ago. I noticed that only 38% of the memory was used up. Im sure an older version of xmbc is installed. So i was wondering if any of you fine people can show me an easy way of getting more games onto my xbox? Im not very tech savvy so if you could explain it to me like s child, it would be most appreciated! And the most easiest way possible Thank you
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: New to xmbc need help please

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Welcome; I think you mean 38% of the HDD space, not 38% of the memory.

The thing to do first to find how your Xbox is modded ie. whether it is softmodded or chipped. That will determine the advice you need.

If it is chipped there could be added external switches but the only way to be 100% sure is to open up the Xbox and check. However, if it has been chipped there will be evidence without even having to do that. If the Xbox boots with the standard MS Xbox green logo then it probably is not chipped. Also unless somebody has been careful it will be very obvious if the screws on the bottom of the case have been taken out. There are two under stickers and four under the rubber feet in the four corners.

If it is softmodded then the evidence for that will be things like one of the game save exploits/installer (Splinter Cell, 007 AUF, Mechassault) in the Game Saves Manager. Use the XBMC File Manager and see what's on the C and E drives too and if possible post screenshots of the content here.

The System Information would also be helpful too - click R3 (press down the right analogue stick) and you should get a 'Shutdown' menu. Instead of shutting down select the (i) Information option and it will present you with a lot of useful details about your machine. Of particular interest will be the HDD info.

I suspect your Xbox is still using the very small retail HDD (<10GB). If it is still using a retail bios that is more evidence of it being a softmod too.

Some people will say at this point if it is an old softmod then update it and the dash with something more recent but I'd say no, do not do that at this point.

From the sound of it what you will want to do is upgrade the HDD to something much bigger so you can get more stuff onto the Xbox. If you're going to be doing that then any softmod and/or dash update can (I'd say should) only be done as part of that process. You have a working modded Xbox, there is no need to risk messing that up. So leave it alone and once a new HDD is fitted successfully it will still be a valuable safety net.

But first things first and that is too determine whether it is chipped or softmodded.
Jrodc99

Re: New to xmbc need help please

Post by Jrodc99 »

Thank you for being very helpful when i get home from work ill check out all the info and post it!