Xbox error 7 and 9

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Mack03a

Xbox error 7 and 9

Post by Mack03a »

Hello everyone, this is my n1st post on this forum, and looking forward to finding an answer to it;)

So.. A friend of mine gave me his xbox original, and since i have over 200 games for ps2, i just thought of modding it, so i could import all sorts of retro games that i found people are doing on youtube which looks amazing.. the problem is that i never had an experience in modding anything and youtube tutorials turned to be fatal for my xbox;)

To make the long story shorter here is the problem:
-I was following this link https://youtu.be/nbSb7BFRQNo
-My xbox was in an factory condition, so i forced error 07 by unplugging the dvd power (yellow) cable.
-everything was going smoothly until the xplorer360 program where i could not open the hardrove due to the FATX error
- after that every time i would perform the same actions, my computer would freeze and restart by itself, co i could not try to open the hdd through the xplorer360
- since this started happening i started getting error 09 instead of 07 when i unplug the dvd power (yellow cable) and now i get error 07 only if i take out the ata ide cable out of the hdd

Could someone please help me fix this. I dont have a memory card for xbox, no splinter cell, no special cables etc.. i am using windows xp, as thats the only computer that supports ide cables and my D:5960 on xbox.

When trying to explain me what to do, please use very simplified IT language, as i am not from the it sphere.

Thanks a lot!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Xbox error 7 and 9

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The method shown in the YT I'm really not familiar with but seems risky for anyone new to this stuff.

I must start this by saying I've ever tried a hot-swap an IDE Xbox HDD to a PC with an IDE connection. I have done it with an external USB housing but despite trying very much what is shown in that YT I could never get it to connect and be recognised by my PC/Xplorer360 under an error 11 or 12, the two errors usually recommended for hot-swaps.

It did connect eventually by using another suggested technique I read about, swapping, quickly, at the point the Microsoft logo appears under the Xbox logo on start up. But it took many attempts and boy was I glad when Xplorer360 suddenly recognised it was attached.

The whole purpose of hot-swapping is to use the Xbox to unlock the HDD but tricking it into 'thinking' it is still attached to the Xbox so it remains unlocked even when it is actually attached to a PC. You'd think any deliberately unlocked Xbox HDD connected via the same USB housing mentioned would immediately be recognised by Xplorer360 too. That is not always the case.

An attached USB storage device may be recognised by Windows device manager and shown as needing formatting ie. indicating it is FATX. But Xplorer360, like the Xbox itself, seems as quirky in response to particular HDDs as it is to many similarly correctly FATX formatted flash drives. If it does not like the storage device for whatever reason you'll get that Xplorer360 message about no FATX formatted devices being detected.

What I would ask is if you've checked that your Xbox still boots normally when everything (HDD/DVD drive) is all connected up as it should be? I ask because Error 9 is unusual:-

"9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
Not very common error, please try another harddisk."

That is quoted from the guide to such errors.

I do not know why a retail HDD would provoke this error under any circumstance but it suggests the possibility it is faulty or has been damaged. You need to make sure it is still booting the retail dash before doing anything else.
Mack03a

Post by Mack03a »

Hello, thanks for the reply. When i connect all the cables and try to boot the xbox, i get error 9.
Coldly-Indifferent

Error 9 on a retail HDD is completely outside my experience.

You are sure it is/was a retail state Xbox and has not been opened, previously softmodded, chipped or TSOPed ie. before what you tried to do it booted as normal to the MS dash?

Can you still cold boot (disc loaded in tray, Xbox shutdown then restarted) original games?

Sorry I can not be more help. I hope that someone else here may be able too.
Mack03a

Post by Mack03a »

It was not modded 100%, i had an original dash, and now i cant boot it no matter what, error 9 occurs with or without a cd inside.
solari

Post by solari »

I've got the same issue.
Hey dude, just wish me luck there. I'm about to read bet365 bonus code no deposit. I've heard it's pretty easy to win there. Isn't it great?
mrforever

Post by mrforever »

i too have this problem with three xbox and all are chip modded but with no luck how damn i can prepare hd for xbox? i tried usb cable through pc no luck, ide cable with pc with hot swap no luck, xbox drive lens is ok and don't load various dvd+r of aid and slayers but isobuster tell me that are ok in xbox format
last change to try with ftp mode through pc and use chimp...
very frustrating...
Coldly-Indifferent

DVD-R is the universal disc media format to use. Although I've found, from my own quite extensive testing, that DVD+R is the next most commonly compatible format the Xbox Philips and Samsung 605B disc drives do have problems, at least they did with the two brands I tested.

If you burn AID v4.53 (the 'Lite' version is most easily found) using ImgBurn at its default ISO burn settings it should cold boot at the very least. HeXEn, also recommended, likewise.

However as I said a long time ago in this same thread, errors 7 and 9 are HDD errors: effectively no HDD detected or a HDD fault of some sort. This is most commonly associated with IDE cable problems or, if using a SATA HDD, the SATA > IDE adapter and/or the IDE cable type. For SATA HDDs you must use an 80 wire IDE cable.

Where applicable check the jumper/adapter settings are correct for Master on the HDD too.

The disc drives must at least be attached, whether working fully or not.

Obvious final question is what chips are fitted in the three Xboxes? Did you install them yourself or were the Xboxes bought used and pre-chipped?