Please help with ftping to my machine

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
usafive

Please help with ftping to my machine

Post by usafive »

Hello all, i know this is asked a lot of times, but none of the answers i found helped me. I want to FTP to my XBox, i got crossover cable, connected it to router, also my laptop is in wired connection inside same network, i started ftp server on console inside network/server menu, but i cant connect it with fillezilla, also tried with FlashExp but with no success. I noticed that there isnt any of username/passwords settings inside networks section, some people says that is made to be defaulted as xbox/xbox. When i try to login to FTP with username:password@host:port it say that connection established - waiting for welcome message, then after ten seconds shows Response 220 in few lines and then it breaks. It happens no matter which credentials i use. Please help me, my hands are tied, this is deadspot right now. I am stucked at this point for an month and cant move any further

Thanks
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Please help with ftping to my machine

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

If you're using a router then you don't need a cross-over cable. That shouldn't matter though as modern PC's are supposed to recognise and adjust the output/input whatever the cable type BUT it might be worth just trying a standard ethernet/CAT5/6 instead.

What you haven't mentioned is your Xbox and dash settings. You should check all of those. DHCP must be used if you're going through a router rather than a direct connection. When connected is the router actually setting an IP address for the Xbox? It depends on what skin XBMC is using but it should be shown somewhere in the Settings > Network menus or even on the 'home' screen.

When Filezilla is set to require password on connection you should be getting the password dialogue box appearing before you connect. If you're not seeing that it is because either you have set it to require the password or there is no connection at all.

With FileZilla those sorts of message described you will probably have to get used to. FTPing to the Xbox is rarely a trouble free experience. Typically in a mixed set of file types and sizes you'll get one file or folder that refuses to FTP, it'll retry however may times you have set (I think FileZilla default is 3) then fail the transfer, disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times wasting 60-90 seconds doing that.

Sometimes it is a genuine Xbox character support or file/folder, depth, name issue but often there is no explanation. You re-queue the same failed to transfer files/folders after everything else has transferred and they FTP perfectly. Go figure as some people still say. :)
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usafive

Post by usafive »

I tried both, even to direct connect xbox to pc, or via router, both with crossover and ordinary lan cable. Inside network configuration i have in the sidebar(network, servers, autodetection, smb client and upnp client) Under network is Assignment(manual, automatic ...), ip address, netmask, default gateway and dns server, also i have here enable http proxy with proxy host and port and to enable Internet lookups, under servers i have enable ftp server, ftp user name which is currently none and cannot be changed, ftp user password and auto ftx limiter, also here is available for config some http server with web server host and password fields. I am not sure what config should i place here. When its connected to cable it shows IP address as 192.168.0.158. Filezilla have host, username, password, port fields when i want to connect to server. If i shut down ftp server on mz xbox then it breaks, if it is turned on that i have connection timeout after Connection established, waiting for welcome message.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Sorry but I don't think I can help any more. All my settings for both XBMC and UnleashX dashboards are essentially the default ones for both FileZilla and the Xbox. I use the FileZilla Site Manager to connect to my Xbox (via the router) using DHCP and apart from requiring the default xbox password that's all I have to do to connect successfully.

The only real problem I've had is that I can not get my Win7 64bit PC to connect to a Xbox directly using a Static IP. I use exactly the same settings that worked with my old WinXP 32bit laptop yet it refuses to connect. I've tried everything recommended but no luck. Perversely the WinXP laptop refused to connect using DHCP using exactly the same router.

Such issues are probably specific to a particular system and I'd suspect the same in your case but what it is I can't even guess.

It is not impossible that it is a firewall or other security software settings matter. That often used to be blamed for such problems but you usually get a warning about that. You should check to see if certain ports or addresses are being blocked but how you do that I'm not sure.

Assuming you're using XBMC as a main dash the other thing I'd try is installing UnleashX as an app and test that for FTPing. The default blue skin shows the IP address/type on the main screen so you can see straight away if the connection is recognised and what address is being used. If the IP is just shown as "0.0.0.0" then its connected but no IP address has been assigned so there is a problem ......... somewhere.