Xbox Flashing Orange?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Bunter

Xbox Flashing Orange?

Post by Bunter »

I softmoded my xbox original today and all was well until I hooked up a 500GB HDD with Sata adapter. Once I hooked these up they were fine until I screwed the lid down, after that the xbox fan went wild, the light around the eject button flashed orange and then the xbox shut down. After multiple tries to get the thing working again i figured that the xbox had just overheated and died on me.

At this point I pulled the HDD and Sata adapter out and proceeded to install them on my backup xbox, the same thing happened as above. I have come to the conclusion that one of both parts were faulty and will bin them.

What I would like to know is if there is any solution to getting both xboxs functioning again. The consoles were not on long enough to overheat so I think this may be a false flag and it is something on the motherboard that needs resetting? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? I am handy at soldering so Im not afraid to start replacing components etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
professor_jonny

Re: Xbox Flashing Orange?

Post by professor_jonny »

the ndure softmods ramps the fan to 100% unless you put the fan.bin file for other speeds.

I remember this with ndure installer and putting the fan.bin in the config folder, I just think it cant find a compatable dash or a dash loading fault it may not be faulty sata and hdd.
Bunter

Post by Bunter »

Thanks for the reply, I will try a different HDD with different dash and see if that does anything.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The error code info for flash orange suggests a Xbox trace problem possible cause by a solder splash or some other electrical bridge (loose screw or something similar).

I think we need more precise information:-

1). How was the Xbox softmodded ie. what tool/package AID, HeXEn, Rocky5's XBST?

2). To have been using a 500GB + SATA adapter either it was already softmodded or you used XBHDM which would also require the eeprom. So was it modded before? Explain more please.

2). Was the Xbox softmodded with the 500GB + SATA adapter in place and did it actually work, as you seem to be saying, before you screwed down the lid?

3). What SATA adapter did you use?

4). I would have thought this was the most obvious thing to try first: what happens if you try to boot either Xbox with the lid off now?

My initial feeling is that this is most likely a mechanical/electrical issue with the SATA adapter which has somehow been damaged when screwing down the lid but there is not enough information provided to make this anything but speculation.