A little help for better understanding "Chimp 261812"

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
IDE2SATA

A little help for better understanding "Chimp 261812"

Post by IDE2SATA »

Hi there!

My weakness is numbers (and everything that has to do with them) :? I've done an upgrade with "chimp 261812" to a bigger 250gb drive in the past, and that was fairly easy, as i cloned the stock hdd like this:

- clone "C & E" ("F" takes the remaining space)

But now i would like to upgrade to a 500gb drive and this is where it gets complicated. (PS: i'm using my clean stock hdd again to clone from)
I can't get a grip around, on how to set up my new drive the best possible way. There was an information that "F" can only go up to 137gb after that, corruption can happen - since my first drive was only 250gb, "F" could be over 137gb without any problems - if i understood this correctly.

In "chimp 261812" i have now the following selections:

1) F is capped at 137gb
2) F occupies all available space
3) G occupies space beyond 137gb
4) F & G splits space evenly
5) Custom F size, G gets the rest

The questions that bother me:

- Since my new drive is bigger than 250gb, i have to make sure, "F" is only 137gb .... so would 3) be the option to choose for me?
- Will "chimp 261812" automatically set the right cluster sizes?

Thank you in advance
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: A little help for better understanding "Chimp 261812"

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You can have the F:\drive size at whatever you want. With a 500GB HDD it is entirely up to you whether you split the free space between F:\ and G:\ and how you do that or assign it all to F:\.

The important thing is if you are just using F:\ that will mean, with a 500GB HDD, that the size of the F:\ partition will be over 250GB but, obviously, under 500GB. This must be formatted to use 32K clusters.

If you'd split it equally between F:\ and G:\ then each would be under 250GB and require formatting to use 16K clusters instead. But if you capped F:\ at 137GB that would mean it would need formatting for 16K clusters but G:\, now being over 250GB, would require formatting for 32K clusters.

In all cases Chimp 261812 (unlike some earlier versions) should format the extended partitions with the correct cluster size(s) for your particular set up. However it is always worth having XBPartitioner v1.3 installed as an app too for quick confirmation that the correct cluster size(s) is(are) being used.
IDE2SATA

Post by IDE2SATA »

Hey!

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so it would be best to split the two partitions "F+G" into equal sizes. I guess this would mean i have a "games" folder in each partition.

In "F:/games/A-T" (...lets say at letter T the partition is full) - the reset i will put into "G:/games/U-Z"

Correct me please if i'm wrong. :geek:

On a nother note:
Hmmm.. so what's all the fuzz about the 137gb then? Doesn't make any sense then, does it?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

First thing first, update chimp 261812 to the latest version, comes with chimp loader v1.01

As that allows you to clone C, E, F and G takes renaming space. This is what you want if you want to keep everything that you have installed to the F partition.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

IDE2SATA wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:22 pm Hey!

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so it would be best to split the two partitions "F+G" into equal sizes. I guess this would mean i have a "games" folder in each partition.

In "F:/games/A-T" (...lets say at letter T the partition is full) - the reset i will put into "G:/games/U-Z"

Correct me please if i'm wrong. :geek:

On a nother note:
Hmmm.. so what's all the fuzz about the 137gb then? Doesn't make any sense then, does it?
With UnleashX the config.xml is, usually, set up to look for games in E:\, F:\ and G:\Games so as long as you put your games in one of those folders they will be listed in the main dash menu alphabetically wherever you happened to have put them. With XBMC you will generally have to assign paths for your games folders so the dash can find them but the same thing applies.

You can name your games folder what you want and designate each alphabetically but it really doesn't matter to the dash where the games are eg. you could have Yager in E:\Games and Amped in G:\Games and they'd still be listed alphabetically in any dash Games menu listing.

However whilst it is slightly more complicated with UnleashX, requiring a config.xml edit, with XBMC you can create different games' folder sources for say: Games A-T and Games U-Z. It is still up to you to install the games in their alphabetically correct folder but, again, it actually doesn't matter where those folders are located. You could have Games U-Z on F:\ and A-T on G:\. In the Programs > Games sub-menu(s) as long as both folders' paths are included they'll still be listed alphabetically wherever the actual folders are located.

TBH I do not see the need to use a G:\ partition at all. With larger HDDs (2TB) there is good reason: you have to split the free space equally between the two to keep them below the 1TB upper limit the Xbox supports. But otherwise, apart from personal organizational reasons, use of G:\ is unnecessary (ducks for cover :) ).

Create more folders on F:\ if you want to separate items like games alphabetically - the machine doesn't give a fig where each folder is located because whether they're on F:\ or G:\ it treats them the same way.