XBMC4GAMERS initial boot lag

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
swaltz

XBMC4GAMERS initial boot lag

Post by swaltz »

I have a soft-modded xbox with a 2TB HDD upgrade. I am running xbmc4gamers (I love it) as the default dashboard with the system booting directly into it. Currently I have roughly 400 xbox games on the G drive and 100 xbox games on the F drive. I will be adding about 300 more to the F drive over the next few days as time permits.

Recently (over the last 24-48 hours) the system has started taking upwards of 6 minutes to boot into XBMC. It will boot to the point of the factory XBOX splash screen then it will hang for 5-6 minutes before booting the reminder of the way into XBMC4XBOX. Prior to this it took roughly 20 seconds. Is the longer boot time due to the large amount of data (all the XBOX games) now on the HDD?

I would assume the initial boot would only scan the C and/or E partitions. Am i wrong in this assumption? Any guidance leading me to get better boot times would be more than helpful.

Also, every time I turn the system on or go from the games screen to the home screen and back the system scans the entire games folder sources (F and G partitions). Is there a way to stop this once i have all the data (xbox games) I have added?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance y'all can provide a noob.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: XBMC4GAMERS initial boot lag

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

swaltz wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 pm I have a soft-modded xbox with a 2TB HDD upgrade. I am running xbmc4gamers (I love it) as the default dashboard with the system booting directly into it. Currently I have roughly 400 xbox games on the G drive and 100 xbox games on the F drive. I will be adding about 300 more to the F drive over the next few days as time permits.

Recently (over the last 24-48 hours) the system has started taking upwards of 6 minutes to boot into XBMC. It will boot to the point of the factory XBOX splash screen then it will hang for 5-6 minutes before booting the reminder of the way into XBMC4XBOX. Prior to this it took roughly 20 seconds. Is the longer boot time due to the large amount of data (all the XBOX games) now on the HDD?

I would assume the initial boot would only scan the C and/or E partitions. Am i wrong in this assumption? Any guidance leading me to get better boot times would be more than helpful.

Also, every time I turn the system on or go from the games screen to the home screen and back the system scans the entire games folder sources (F and G partitions). Is there a way to stop this once i have all the data (xbox games) I have added?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance y'all can provide a noob.
Do not add any more games until you get some more expert advice.

I do not use a very large HDD so have not experienced this myself but it sounds like you may have reached the gamesave folder limit for E:\TDATA/UDATA. I think it is 240 when you can start having serious problems but 255 is mentioned in some places as well. Slower dash boots (6+ minutes!!!?), I'm pretty sure are an indication you're approaching that limit and should be treated as a warning not to install any more.

Another problem which causes slow boots with an UnleashX dash can be Apps, Games, Emu icons. Exceed some untested upper total size limit and the dash will be very slow to load and many items lose their icons. I've not heard of this affecting any version of XBMC but with that number of games I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Should ask on projects thread - that is a modified version of XBMC4Xbox.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2700
swaltz

Post by swaltz »

Didn't see the reply until now.

The system seems to boot relative fine now. SOme times it lags but not often. I believe the culprit is the IDE to SATA board. I've read about these being a bottle neck.

Over all the system works fantastic. Current library is 840+ games. Working on setting up a NES, SNES and Gennis emulators to make this a monster.

Thanks to all the help form everyone on here!