How does the d0 point work on the Aladdin xt plus2?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Halo2jak

How does the d0 point work on the Aladdin xt plus2?

Post by Halo2jak »

Hey guys! First post! I haven't modded an Xbox in almost 15 years. Im noob that has only modded his own personal xbox years ago and havent messed with it since. Getting back into it and it seems modchip choices are scarce. That leaves me with the Aladdin Xt Plus 2 chip I ordered and received from china for $4. Actually ordered 10 of them! :P I have many Xboxes I bought for a LAN party I threw and wanted to eventually mod them all so I will be working with multiple versions.

My plan is to install the chip, use either hexen or AID, and install 3tb hard drives to get the full 2tb out of all of them, Sata adapters, and 80 pin cables.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, what is the purpose of the d0 point? Where do you connect the d0 point on the motherboard to??? The d0 point on the modchip? Or to ground? If to ground, where at on the board (for all versions)? Ive read in an install manual the d0 point on the chip isnt very good.

Also, do you need bridge the BT pad with every xbox revision to have the modchips always on?

I have watched a video for the Aladdin xt install on a 1.6 xbox, and the guy never mentioned anything about the d0 point. Is it not necessary to use the d0 point with this aladdin chip (on the 1.6 or even so with all other revisions)?

I understand the where the wires go with the lpc rebuild process with a 1.6, and understand extra steps wiring a 1.5 Xbox as well. But i am stumped about where this d0 wire (i know where the d0 pad is on the mobo) connects to, or even if it has to be connected at all!

Sorry in advance. Love you all!
professor_jonny

Re: How does the d0 point work on the Aladdin xt plus2?

Post by professor_jonny »

The D0 point is what causes the Xbox to boot from the LPC bus instead of the onboard bios. the 1.6 is a bit different as you control LFrame but for all intent purposes the same result and often labeled D0 in install manuals and references on the net.

If you permanently ground the D0/ LFrame it will boot from the modchip, but this is bad for the 1.6 and can damage the MCPX chip.
you can cut a trace on the motherboard to avoid this or not worry like most people, some mod chips have LFrame control and release the signal after the chip is booted to minimise the risk of damage the XBlast does this that I know of but I'm not sure on the others.

The BT is the button control to enable or disable the chip you can permanently bridge it to force the chip to boot when you turn it on otherwise you have to press and hold the power button to boot the chip this was to enable the Xbox to boot up as retail for Xboxlive which is no longer needed.

There are install pictures for chips on here for several chips and they are all basically the same for every chip, you could also convert it to an aladin xblast and it gives you bank control and a built in OS and other cool features.

Of note there is a current chip in production with active development that is opensource called the xblast lite there is info on here and on assembler games for both this and the aladin xbox conversion info.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/mod- ... ast.55068/
https://assemblergames.com/threads/wip- ... -in.52381/
https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/lpcmod_os

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22
Halo2jak

Post by Halo2jak »

Thanks jonny. I appreciate the response. That makes sense now.

Is the trace you are referring to that needs cut on the 1.6 the trace just to the left of the u7c1 identifier next to the Xyclops IC?

Also, what does the LFrame do?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Lframe is an LPC Bus signal that signifies the start of an LPCBus transaction, in the case with the Xbox it is the trigger for the xbox to talk to device connected to the Xbox LPC Headder by telling the cyclops the bus is busy so the modchip has free rain to access the LCP port.

Yip that is the trace to cut you can solder an smd resistor across as a current limiter it so you can still boot retail when the chip is disabled also.

info here puled from the way back machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050306185 ... ll_1.6.asp
electric_diagram_cut_line.png
electric_diagram_cut_line.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 8746 times
resistorinstall.jpg
Last edited by professor_jonny on Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halo2jak

Post by Halo2jak »

Awesome, thanks Johnny. You've been a big help.