How do I install the latest version of XBMC?

shadaboot27

How do I install the latest version of XBMC?

Post by shadaboot27 »

I have just bought an xbox with an Xecuter x3 mod chip and a 250gb HDD installed but it has a really old version of XBMC, last updated in 2005. I'm new to all this so can anyone tell me what I need to do to update it to the latest version of 3.5.3?

Thanks
Amigaz

Re: How do I install the latest version of XBMC?

Post by Amigaz »

shadaboot27 wrote:I have just bought an xbox with an Xecuter x3 mod chip and a 250gb HDD installed but it has a really old version of XBMC, last updated in 2005. I'm new to all this so can anyone tell me what I need to do to update it to the latest version of 3.5.3?

Thanks
If you can run another dash rename the xbmc folder to for example xbmc_old and ftp over the new xmbc version to the folder where you had your old xbmc version.
Do this action when you are running another dash such as unleashx for example since ot can be a bad idea to tamper with the xbmc folder if you are running xbmc.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Belm1221

Post by Belm1221 »

Amigaz wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:57 pm
shadaboot27 wrote:I have just bought an xbox with an Xecuter x3 mod chip and a 250gb HDD installed but it has a really old version of XBMC, last updated in 2005. I'm new to all this so can anyone tell me what I need to do to update it to the latest version of 3.5.3?

Thanks
If you can run another dash rename the xbmc folder to for example xbmc_old and ftp over the new xmbc version to the folder where you had your old xbmc version.
Do this action when you are running another dash such as unleashx for example since ot can be a bad idea to tamper with the xbmc folder if you are running xbmc.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
hey All. New to this but what can I do to update if I dont have another dash available to run. I did see youtube vid of just overwrite the FTP files but then this thread and another youtube vid says dont to it ??
Any help would be great. Thx B.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You should always have another dash available simply installed as in Apps. UnleashX and or a mirror version of your existing XBMC install for test purposes.

But you don't really need that for this purpose.

Just download the new XBMC and FTP it to TMP (temporary) folder on the F:\drive. Use XBMC's file manager and click on the default.xbe and it should launch OK. If it doesn't you've just saved yourself a bit of hassle.

Once confirmed working you need to find and be sure exactly where and how your existing XBMC main dash is installed. It could be installed as an app in E:\Apps\XBMC or in its own folder on the root of the E:\drive. When you're certain then it is, or should be, just a simple contents replacement job.

There are risks involved in replacing any main dash (power cuts, rugrats pulling the plugs out etc) during the copying. That advice not to do it directly into place by FTP is almost certainly because FTPing adds another level of risk to the operation too.

The good thing in this case is that you're using a chipped Xbox so if anything goes wrong an installer/rescue disc can be booted and fix the problem one way or another.
Belm1221

Post by Belm1221 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:49 pm You should always have another dash available simply installed as in Apps. UnleashX and or a mirror version of your existing XBMC install for test purposes.

But you don't really need that for this purpose.

Just download the new XBMC and FTP it to TMP (temporary) folder on the F:\drive. Use XBMC's file manager and click on the default.xbe and it should launch OK. If it doesn't you've just saved yourself a bit of hassle.

Once confirmed working you need to find and be sure exactly where and how your existing XBMC main dash is installed. It could be installed as an app in E:\Apps\XBMC or in its own folder on the root of the E:\drive. When you're certain then it is, or should be, just a simple contents replacement job.

There are risks involved in replacing any main dash (power cuts, rugrats pulling the plugs out etc) during the copying. That advice not to do it directly into place by FTP is almost certainly because FTPing adds another level of risk to the operation too.

The good thing in this case is that you're using a chipped Xbox so if anything goes wrong an installer/rescue disc can be booted and fix the problem one way or another.
Hey Up
Thought i had it. Got the UnleashX on and running. FTP'd all the files and then got the XBMC latest version running by selecting it and then i think i removed something wrong as when rebooted now i get the error 21. AArrrggghh and I can even get the original Splinter Cell exployt or the (SID5.12) to run either as the box just seems to reboot when I eject the disc after selecting the game save Linux...........
Am I screewed or os there a way to save it ........
Any help or pointers would be appriciated.
Thx B.
Coldly-Indifferent

As said in the last sentence of my first post, try an AID, HeXEn or any other rescue disc with a file manager or gives you FTP access (DVD-R + ImgBurn). Cold boot it and either use the file manager and/or FTP to fix whatever is wrong.

As I've said in another thread here today a chipped Xbox without any other problems should be able to cold boot any compatible disc media, it is pretty much the main purpose of a chip.
Belm1221

Post by Belm1221 »

Hey
Sorry for being a bit dim on these things all a bit new. Odd thing happened this evening the box has been powered off for 2 days and today i started it with the splinter cell disk in and loaded the exploit expecting to get stuck on the loop but no !! it fired up the original SID 5.12 start screen.
So I FTP into the box and grabbed the SID5 file that contains the eeprom.bin (i hadn't done this before as did not know but saw it on a vid) needed if I need to do full harddrive rebuild....... hope not.
I then loaded back in the XBMC 3.1 files and removed the new 3.5.3 ones id added. Selected restart the xbox and was fingers crossed that it was now back to where it was when working.
No same issue error 21. So im thinking back to the FTP but no. Now as before (2 days ago) when i load the splinter cell disk and then load the exploit i get a white screen like it gona run the SID 5.12 but then it just reloads the spliner cell game again. Is there something i'm doing wrong here ?? is there any reason why I cant get back into the SID 5.12 menu but it did it this 1 time ??

Really wish i'd selected remove softmod and at least then I'd be back to stock and could try clean install.
I've nothing on the box so is that some thing I could do. run a different softmod solution ??
Also this is not a chipped box. Was total stock in my loft and all i did was run the Splinter cell SID5.12 process.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
Cheers B.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Xbox Softmodding Tool

Download the quick upgrade.zip from the installer variants folder. Extract the folder and file and follow the instructions.

If you don’t have access to a file manager via SIDs menu system you can just remove the softmod save and replace it with mine. You would download the Xbox Softmodding tool.zip for that.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

That white screen after trying the SC save again sounds very like the problem I had when I deliberately experimented using a dash updater XBE just to see how difficult it was to fix. It restores the Xbox to retail but when I tried to re-softmod it SC would go to a white screen and then reboot when using the Linux > Checkpoints save.

I simply couldn't fix the problem just using SC even when I deleted every game save and installed fresh new softmod exploit/game saves. In the end (thanks to help/advice from Rocky5) I used one of the other game exploits (007 AUF which I had to buy as I didn't have either it or MechAssault) and that bypassed whatever the problem was (UDATA/TDATA leftovers?) and I could install a new softmod.

Although I had the safety net of the Xbox's original softmodded retail HDD which, with Chimp, could have help fix the problem one way or another that experience convinced me never to mess with updaters. Also to be even more careful when updating softmods' main dashboards manually and recommend those new to softmodding always use a softmod like Rocky5's or HeXEn which includes maximum protection by default.
Belm1221

Post by Belm1221 »

hey Guys
This is all awesome help and very much appriciated. I wish I found Rocky5's vids and software first.
I have all his downloads now as found them when looking at these issues and poss ways to remove the softmod and start again.

I'm gona give these things a try and see what gives.
Once again many thanks B.
Belm1221

Post by Belm1221 »

Additional update in case this helps anyone else.
There must be some sort of time element to this issue of the exploit mod not working as I left the box with no power last night and the splinter cell CD in the tray closed.
Plugged it in about 20mins ago started from on button (cold boot i think this is called) and run the splinter cell exploit and hey presto it fires up the SID 5.12 main screen.
This gives me FTP again and also file manager. But I decide to go staight with the remove mod and took some time but started to work , It did give me the message no MS dash could be found would I like to install UnleashX so sellected that and more time and more bars and then blank screen for a while but eventually rebooted and it now boots to UnleashX 0.39.0222A Build 572 (no idea where it came from) but I'm sort of saved and have working soft modded box.
No idea tho why it did not completly revert to stock as per the online vid. but there it is.
I'd really like to get right back to stock and the to run and use Rocky5's system but this could be for another day as i'm crashed out.......

Thanks for all help and i'll sure be back on for more.
B.
Coldly-Indifferent

The v572 UnleashX dash is actually what you want. Bizarrely SID and AID or at least all the ones I've used can install different version UnleashX dashes under different menu options.

I'd have to check to be sure but think it depends on whether it is a main dash or as a dash installed in Apps. Maybe it is the One-Click install and normal install; doesn't really matter there are two versions used by SID/AID

They are typically v584 (the last version) and v572 which may also be what the menu.xbe (the softmod menu) uses too. That is 'just' an UnleashX dash with a modified config.xml. So simply copy the menu.xbe somewhere else and change the copy's name to default.xbe and it'll launch an UnleashX dash, generating its own default config.xml and an item.xml. Put them all in a named new folder and transfer that to Apps and voila you have a UnleashX dash installed as an app.

My preference has always been for v572 because of a significant bug in v584 which mean it won't display individual game saves on any attached memory devices. That renders the Game Save Manager useless for backing up or copying game saves. It is unreliable anyway and for that purpose I always use the MS dash. UnleashX v572 was the last one that didn't have this issue.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
archfranck

Post by archfranck »

hi i want download c64 file from google drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/shared-with-me
but not have pass
possible have pass?
tanks
ElizabethCollicott

Post by ElizabethCollicott »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:22 am The v572 UnleashX dash is actually what you want. Bizarrely SID and AID or at least all the ones I've used can install different version UnleashX dashes under different menu options.

I'd have to check to be sure but think it depends on whether it is a main dash or as a dash installed in Apps. Maybe it is the One-Click install and normal install; doesn't really matter there are two versions used by SID/AID

They are typically v584 (the last version) and v572 which may also be what the menu.xbe (the softmod menu) uses too. That is 'just' an UnleashX dash with a modified config.xml. So simply copy the menu.xbe somewhere else and how to get rid of gyno change the copy's name to default.xbe and it'll launch an UnleashX dash, generating its own default config.xml and an item.xml. Put them all in a named new folder and transfer that to Apps and voila you have a UnleashX dash installed as an app.

My preference has always been for v572 because of a significant bug in v584 which mean it won't display individual game saves on any attached memory devices. That renders the Game Save Manager useless for backing up or copying game saves. It is unreliable anyway and for that purpose I always use the MS dash. UnleashX v572 was the last one that didn't have this issue.
Navigate to the XBMC menu.
Select 'Downloads'
Select the XBMC listing.
The latest version will be downloaded and installed.
Last edited by ElizabethCollicott on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coldly-Indifferent

Not sure what the point was of quoting my five year old reply concerning the OPs secondary question but I suppose it might usefully bump this thread for anyone interested.

Can you post a screenshot of this XBMC "Downloads" option?

I've been using XBMC as an app since 2006 and I've never seen it. Presumably it only appears if the console is internet connected. It might depend on the XBMC skin too.