Original XBOX softmod

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
GTA3

Original XBOX softmod

Post by GTA3 »

I am trying to softmod my XBOX.
I have splinter cell the usb cable and a 2gb flashdrive
The XBOX sees the flashdrive and formats it, i used Xplorer360 to add files to the flashdrive on my pc, as far as i can see the files are added ok.
When i put the flashdrive back in the xbox it sees the drive but no files.
I have 3 XBOX's and they all react the same.
I am thinking that even though my xbox sees the flashdrive im of the opinion it maybe incompatable, does anybody have any ideas or thoughts on this ?
I am using PAL xbox and splinter cell and the file are for pal.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Original XBOX softmod

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Are you sure the SC exploit and installer game saves are actually unpacked and installed on the flash drive correctly?

This is how it should look:-
Xplorer360 With SC PAL Game Saves.png
All you should have are the two numbered game save files on the flash drive:-

5553000c (the SC PAL game save) and 21585554 (the softmod installer).

If they have been copied to the flash drive correctly then the chances are it is a flash drive compatibility issue.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I had the same problems some years ago. I think some usb devices just dont work... Later I bought an xbox memory card and connected it via usb and used four safety pins to connect the colored cables of the usb cable to each safety pin and sticked it in the memory card. On windows xp I could connect the xbox memory card using this cable installation and using the action replay software it worked.

Edit: here is a usb device list:
https://www.biline.ca/xbox_flash_list.htm
GTA3

Post by GTA3 »

I did everything suggested, went as far as to copy all files and folders one by one making sure they where in the correct order, XBOX will not see any of the files.
I think as suggested it either the flashdrive or its not possible to use windows 10.
I am going to dig out my old pc and load a copy of xp on to it and see if that sorts out my problems.
Thankyou for your help and suggestions
Coldly-Indifferent

You might like to try the USB FATX Formatter tool instead (Google). AFAIK the most recent version is v1.3.2.

Apparently this sometimes works for formatting flash drives that won't format to FATX on the Xbox and, allegedly, fix some of the other incompatibility problems you can get with them too.

Never used it myself but possibly worth a go.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

^^ I also recommend trying the FATX formatter tool

If that doesn't work, consider getting a regular xbox memory card and an Xbox controller to USB adapter. $10 for the memory card and like $3 for the adapter cord. This adapter lets you to plug an Xbox controller into your PC, then from there you can plug in the memory card and transfer files through xplorer360 as usual. This is the route I took a while back after messing around with a couple flash drives that ended up not working.

Alternatively, hotswapping is an option if you have an old PC laying around.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
GTA3

Post by GTA3 »

Hot swapping maybe worth a try, i have an old xp computer that still works well.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

have you hotswapped before? Need any pointers?
GTA3

Post by GTA3 »

I have done some reading and i think i have the basic idea, but any extra info you can give me would be welcome.
I have 3 XBOX's one has a bad dvd drive i think this will be used as a practise box and see if i can get it to work.
Thanks once again.

Just wanted to add i have always thought the original xbox was a brilliant machine, better than the PS2 which i also have, i will be adding another xbox to my collection im hoping to find a hard modded one for a decent price.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Timing is important and it may take a few tries to get it right. On your PC, burn XboxHDM 1.9 (including softmod files) to a CD and make sure your PC boots to the disc before trying to hotswap. Pull the IDE cable out of your Xbox drive as soon as the "Microsoft" text appears at the bottom on the startup screen. Try to be fast when switching IDE cables. Make sure your Xbox drive is going to show up as primary master on your PC. Connect it to your PC and turn it on.

Now, some old PCs do something weird (I don't know the technical reason) where you won't be able to interact with the hard drive even if your drive is unlocked and even if you timed the hotswap correctly. For me, the PC I used had this problem and it was a big pain figuring it out. I read online that if you power on the PC and let it get to the XboxHDM start screen and THEN connect the Xbox's drive, it will work. For me, this became part of my usual process and powering on the PC and letting it boot a little bit helped resolve that problem.

Also, the first thing you should do once your drive is recognized by your PC is get your hard drive password. If something fails, you'll need this to recover. After you get in, select option 3 and get it to the point where your hard drive password is shown on screen. Take a picture of the screen or write it down.

Be aware, when disconnecting and connecting hard drives that are powered on and spinning, you run the risk of damaging the hard drive in an irreparable way. Back before I had a proper memory card, hotswapping was my main go-to for softmodding Xboxes. That was true up until I lost a hard drive while hotswapping. If you have no other means and you really don't want to spend any money, it is an option. Just be aware that there's a chance something might get connected in a weird way that causes damage. Others will probably say they've done it dozens of times with no problems but I'm just giving insight from my own experience. I recommend avoiding hotswapping when possible.

P.s. The tips above should NOT be used as a substitute for following a proper hotswapping tutorial.
GTA3

Post by GTA3 »

i had been thinking about the memory card i was using so i went into my xbox saved games and copied them across, the XBOX says it has copied them, you would think that Xplorer360 would see them? it cant and as i said before my xbox's cant see the injected files from xplorer 360.
Anybody have a clue whats going on ?

I have tried to inject files using win10 and my old standby pc running xp, i get nothing.

could it be the flashdrive ?
Coldly-Indifferent

When you plug the flash drive into the PC do you get the message about it needing formatting? Of course you should not do that, just cancel and launch Xplorer360.

You do need to click on "Partition 0" to see what is on the drive.
GTA3

Post by GTA3 »

yes i get the message to format and i ignore it Xplorer360 shows partition 0 when i get Xplorer360 to inject files it says its done it but my xbox doesnt see them.
Coldly-Indifferent

I suggest that you don't use the inject option. Its weird and I don't understand this but what I've found is that when you use "inject" from the context menu the copy progress bar uses green stripes. It is so long that I last used it I can not remember how it behaves exactly but I do remember the files I thought I'd copied were not shown when I relaunched Xplorer360 and displayed the content on the flash drive.

Where this 'inject' option is being copied too and why there are differences in progress bar colouration I'm not sure. Perhaps it is being copied to the clipboard.

Anyway, instead I recommend you simply drag and drop the files into Xplorer360's right hand pane. This always works for me. The copy progress bar shown should be bluish/cyan striped and once finished, as my previously posted screenshot shows, that is what it should look like.

If drag and drop still doesn't work and the FATX Formatter tool doesn't make any difference then you'll have to accept the flash drive's Xbox compatibility is the problem.