XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
magnus hydra

XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found

Post by magnus hydra »

Before we start yes I've read viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=953 and https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Error_Recovery_Mode. I've search alittle and have found to fix.

I soft modded an xbox for the first time in years. This xbox has never been modded before. The motherboard is a 1.6 and I have the Eeprom back up with all the keys and stuff. I put on XBMC on E in dashboard and the xbox would boot into it. I FTP and replacing the XMBC files with XBMC-Emustation-master by JCRocky5. Well now I get the fallowing:

XBMC Fatal Error:
No suitable skin version found
We require at least version 2.1000
IP Address: 192.168.0.6
Starting FTP server...
FTP server running 0n port 21, login: xbox/xbox

I try to FTP to the xbox and the fallowing happened:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. Connection failed.

I've try connecting my router and an old crossover cable I used for land partys back in the day.

I don't know what else to do. I've tried using one of the install disk I have. I've tried loading up splinter cell and they will not boot. After the xbox splash screen it goes right to the XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found. Don't know why the xbox is refusing the connection. I can Ping it just fine. If I can't FTP to it I am guessing I will have to buy a mod chip. Is there a working program now that can read and write files if the drive is unlocked? like I said I have the HDD key and .bin etc.. I am willing to try anything.
Rocky5

Re: XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found

Post by Rocky5 »

Burn my extras disc to a DVD-R disc with imgburn.

Your Xbox will load it before any dashboard.

The problem is you just overwrite stuff without doing it properly, following the instructions I typed out in the readme.md file on github.

Set your PC to a static IP of 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateways and dns 192.160.0.1

Not see if you can connect to your Xbox.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
magnus hydra

Post by magnus hydra »

Hey JCRocky5 nice to see you here. I first burned the extras disc to a DVD-R disc with imgburn. Popped it in the xbox turned it off and turned it back on. Normal xbox Splash screen happens and all I see is a black screen and the xbox lights flashing acting like its trying to read. I hit the eject and nothing happens. Turn the xbox off and back on by hitting the eject button and hit the eject button again and still back screen and light flashed again acting like its trying to read.

Set my pc to a static IP of 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateways and dns 192.160.0. Used a crossover cable to try to connect to the xbox at the XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found screen and still get the error.

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed....

I don't understand why it will not connect I had no problem until I messed up when updating...

Will this mod chip work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aladdin-XT-403 ... Ciid%253A1

I see no other way...
gawelik

Post by gawelik »

Hi ! I think maybe u have the same problem i have.... When u turn on xbox with extras disc u must wait, long wait up to 1min with black screen, just wait ;-)
I think inhave that same issue with odyn disc boot, simple resolution was waiting longer to boot disc :-D
Maybe is the same "issue". Sorry for my English :-(

Wysłane z mojego LG-H850 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

magnus hydra wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 am Set my pc to a static IP of 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateways and dns 192.160.0. Used a crossover cable to try to connect to the xbox at the XBMC Fatal Error: No suitable skin version found screen and still get the error.

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed....

I don't understand why it will not connect I had no problem until I messed up when updating...
The PC is better set to 192.168.0.1 as the Xbox default IP address is 192.168.0.2. I know you said it was 192.168.0.6 but if you haven't changed that it could be the reason for the problem. I'm assuming you're using XBMC as we're here but try UnleashX (installed as an app) and see if that works. The default blue skin shows the IP address but only if a connection is detected so that is a useful confirmation there's no cable issue involved.

BTW it shouldn't matter with modern PCs but don't use a cross-over cable when connecting from PC to Xbox via a router if that's what you're doing. Also, and I've had this problem, whilst I never had any trouble direct connecting my WinXP 32bit SP3 laptop using the same (cross-over) cable direct to the same Xbox (not via a router) when I swapped to a desktop running Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 it refuses to connect when set to Static. I tried swapping from the cross-over to standard patch cable and using CoreFTP rather than FileZilla but no joy.

It is set up in exactly the same way, with identical settings but only when connect via my router, standard patch cable and used with the DHCP option rather than Static does it work. I've looked for information about why this might be happening and whilst I've tried various 'solutions'* none could make the Static set up function as it did with WinXP I've stuck with the set up that works.

* One of those solutions I did not try was use an older version of FileZilla. It only supported WinXP up to version 3.8.0 so the theory is that the Xbox may have issues with the later versions. However I did try using CoreFTP which, apparently does still support WinXP, and had the same trouble: DHCP works, Static doesn't.
magnus hydra

Post by magnus hydra »

I got the mod chip installed and was able to uninstall the soft mod and put the original dash back on. I am still having a problem with any installer CD. The DVD drive works fine until I try to install something from a disk. I've tried swapping out phillips drive with a samsung, but it still will not install anything from a CD. When I start the installing process it gets stuck at "please wait". I've tried waiting an hour and nothing ever happens. Any thoughts are welcome on what I should do?
Coldly-Indifferent

Are you actually using CD media? If so that's most likely your problem. When Rocky5 said earlier burn his XBST disc to DVD-R that's exactly what he meant ie. use DVD-R.

My own tests show that Hitachi, Philips, Samsung 605F and Thomson all hate CD-R. Only Samsung 605B works with it. Strangely though all disc drives except one of my two Samsung 605F worked with CD-RW. However the Philips was inconsistent with CD-RW and would sometimes boot CD-RW but only those discs burned at higher speeds.

In short if you swapped in a Samsung 605F for the Philips it would have made no difference because they're both incompatible with CD media.

Whilst there may be disc brand or even batch issues which can even affect DVD-R compatibility, except in those specific cases, it is the only disc media proven to be compatible across the range of disc drives used in the Xboxes over the years.
magnus hydra

Post by magnus hydra »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:43 pm Are you actually using CD media? If so that's most likely your problem. When Rocky5 said earlier burn his XBST disc to DVD-R that's exactly what he meant ie. use DVD-R.

My own tests show that Hitachi, Philips, Samsung 605F and Thomson all hate CD-R. Only Samsung 605B works with it. Strangely though all disc drives except one of my two Samsung 605F worked with CD-RW. However the Philips was inconsistent with CD-RW and would sometimes boot CD-RW but only those discs burned at higher speeds.

In short if you swapped in a Samsung 605F for the Philips it would have made no difference because they're both incompatible with CD media.

Whilst there may be disc brand or even batch issues which can even affect DVD-R compatibility, except in those specific cases, it is the only disc media proven to be compatible across the range of disc drives used in the Xboxes over the years.
Yes I am using DVD-R. Thanx for the replay.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Can you FTP stuff to your partition? there is no reason it can’t copy files to the HDD unless there is something wrong with the HDD.
( you tried two drives so only thing left is the hdd )

When trying to install something what partition or option are you selecting?
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Take Rocky5's advice and try to get FTP working but:-

Going back to the disc media issue: there would have to be a huge coincidence for two disc drives, used with DVD-R media to have the same problem copying files to the Xbox. You have a chip fitted and you can now boot discs but can't copy from them to the HDD. The FTP connection is still being refused.

How did you ".....uninstall the softmod and put the original dash back on." ? "Original dash"? Do you mean the MS dash? If so that would explain the FTP not working.

But I'm thinking now it could well be a hardware issue ie. a problem with the HDD as Rocky5 intimated would explain everything.

Obvious thing with a chipped machine is to plonk in another, clean or new HDD and try cold booting an HeXEn or AID disc to format it and install a dash. Just remember to use the chipped install options.

Also should remind you that both HeXEn and AID do take their own sweet time to boot even once spun up.
magnus hydra

Post by magnus hydra »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm Take Rocky5's advice and try to get FTP working but:-

Going back to the disc media issue: there would have to be a huge coincidence for two disc drives, used with DVD-R media to have the same problem copying files to the Xbox. You have a chip fitted and you can now boot discs but can't copy from them to the HDD. The FTP connection is still being refused.

How did you ".....uninstall the softmod and put the original dash back on." ? "Original dash"? Do you mean the MS dash? If so that would explain the FTP not working.
The FTP problem was a thing of the past I fixed that by installing the mod chip. Yes the MS dash. To uninstall everything I used JRocky's softmod tool. I ftp it to the E drive and was able to get it running that way.

But I'm thinking now it could well be a hardware issue ie. a problem with the HDD as Rocky5 intimated would explain everything.

Obvious thing with a chipped machine is to plonk in another, clean or new HDD and try cold booting an HeXEn or AID disc to format it and install a dash. Just remember to use the chipped install options.

Also should remind you that both HeXEn and AID do take their own sweet time to boot even once spun up.
HeXEn and AID have no problem booting up nor JRocky's softmod tool. The installing process dose not work. I can run those off the HDD too? If so then I will not have a problem. I'll give it a try and get back to you guys
Read the bold above. Thank you for the reply guys.
Coldly-Indifferent

Have you tried installing a test application or something else like that from the AID disc to a temporary folder on the HDD? That should work without any hassle, if it doesn't then there must be something else going on.

HeXEn and AID can be installed to the HDD but with HeXEn you do need to find a specific HDD installer version because every tool and menu option in the disc version's config.xml uses a path to a location on the D:\drive ie. the location of the disc.

AID can be installed to the HDD but, for similar reasons, that must be done using the AID disc's own menu Advanced Options facility for doing this. AID manual Chapter.12 Advanced Options:-

"Installing AID 4.20 to HDD

This option gives you the chance to install the entire AID 4.20 to your HDD in E:\Apps\AID3, F:\Apps\AID3, or G:\Apps\AID4.

Please note just copying the DVD to your HDD will not work due to the way the Auto-Installer script has been written, hence you need to actually install it through here."

Obviously if you're having problems copying stuff from discs to the HDD then, of course, installing AID this way is not going to be possible.
magnus hydra

Post by magnus hydra »

Alright so I was able to use the hexen 2017 to install a new hard drive. However I could not use the modchip installer. It would get stuck at please wait. After 20mins I gave up. Auto installer deluxe let me install XBMC with there one click modchip install. XBMC is saying that the DVD drive is open but its close and I have no DVD in it??? I think something is messed up hardware wise with the dvd rom on the motherboard.

UPdate: Can't get Installing AID 4.20 to HDD to work. There is something wrong with this motherboard and the dvd rom. Will only read games and dvds from boot. Most installing by DVD don't work.