USB controller port mod.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
bigkidoz

USB controller port mod.

Post by bigkidoz »

This guide is to show you how replace 1 or more of your xbox controller ports with a USB socket for use with a flash drive or keyboard/ mouse.
So far the usb drives i have found to work are a sandisk cruzer and a generic no name swivel both 4gig - 4gig is max for xbox.

Another i have found that if your xbox is softmodded and you leave the flashdrive in when you boot it will get formatted to fatx, hardmodded is no problem leaving in.

step 1) Remove a port from your xbox, either side is up to you. Using a small pair of long nose pliers grab hold of the plastic piece in the port and twist to break the pieces out.

Step 2) With a jewellers screwdriver or small sharp object remove the shielding from the port to be modded - being carefull not stab screwdriver in hand or finger

Step 3) Unsolder the wires and with a small pair of long nose pliers pull the remaining pins out.

Step 4 ) Now what you use is whatever you have on hand but we need to open up the port so that our new USB socket can slide in and sit level. A dremel or similar is ideal but careful use of a drill and a round file will suffice. The sockets tend to sit crooked so i used a couple of toothpicks wedged in to keep them straight while i used a clear 2 part epoxy glue to glue them in place or use hot glue which i am a recent convert to.

Once the epoxy has set you can re solder the wires back on using this wiring diagram, the yellow wire is not required so you can snip that off level with the m/board socket. Then wrap the wiring at the pins with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing if you have any ( and fitted before soldering the wires back on ) and then refit the port shield and jobs done, re fit to you xbox and give it a try. Xbox ports are basically standard USB 1.1 and are coloured coded the same as any other usb cable.

So now the conversion is complete you can re assemble your xbox and test the port , this is my kitchen xbox mainly used for the kids movies and streams from my PC 4m away in another room.

This closeup you can see the usb power lead going to the D-Link wifi adapter which will now powerup when the xbox is turned on and not left on all the time.

Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Dawscaus

Re: USB controller port mod.

Post by Dawscaus »

Very Cool!!
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

I really love this idea. I sooo want to do this, but I'm not quite handy enough to make it happen on my own. I spent a few hours trying to do this mod, but since exact details (with non-fuzzy pictures) of what it takes to complete step 1 for example...I got stuck a few times...ok so with the exception of taking off the metal shielding, I don't think I successfully completed any of the steps. Is there a video of this tutorial somewhere? If not, would someone be willing to make one? Or, does someone provide this mod as a service...like can I send someone a controller port, return postage, and a gift card (or something else) and one day get the finished product in the mail?

whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I'm going to be trying one of these myself soon so if you can wait I'll let you know how I get on. The plan is to stick it in a v1.6 so it can have constant power to it for charging purposes. The v1.6 have different power supplies to the others and according to xman I should be able to draw enough power from it to power the USB (in theory!).
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

ok, as long as you can explain how to do it on a regular v1.0... I can see you are a master video maker, so this should be good for me. I thought I should learn to fish right?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Haha no I'm certainly not a master video maker - those xbox guides are my first attempt at using video editing software. However it doesn't look too complicated so if I can manage to get it all working I'll try and do a video or slideshow, trouble is I don't have camcorder so I'll just have to use my 8mp camera but hopefully that should be clear enough.
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

I'm sure your good old Galaxy S III will do the trick for us :)
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I usually have a few pre modded ports lying around in my spares box but postage will dictate if its economical or not .
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

Since its not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump from Melbourne to Cheeseland, I'll try waiting for the video...it would be really nice to be able to do this myself...but if i'm still stuck, I'll send you some $ for postage, unless you can convince Scotty to beam it up for me :)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

angel4b wrote:Since its not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump from Melbourne to Cheeseland
Come on, is that a real place...? It sounds like a turophile's theme park, complete with Coulommiers roller coaster, Edam Ball of Death, Emmental maze, a Cheddar gorge, Yarg of Ale watering hole, &c &c....
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

spicemuseum wrote:
angel4b wrote:Since its not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump from Melbourne to Cheeseland
Come on, is that a real place...? It sounds like a turophile's theme park, complete with Coulommiers roller coaster, Edam Ball of Death, Emmental maze, a Cheddar gorge, Yarg of Ale watering hole, &c &c....
LOL, i thought Cheeseland sounds like the home of the Green Bay Packers...who are still mourning Monday Night's loss together with Aaron Rogers. :)
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Sounds a bit like our state of "Queensland ", although a theme park of cheeses named " Cheeseland" would be cool - crackers supplied of course :D
Last edited by bigkidoz on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

I just call it Cheeseland due to the CheeseHeads...but most people call this state Wisconsin :)
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

what is plugged into the usb port in your pictures?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Dawscaus wrote:what is plugged into the usb port in your pictures?
Its a mini wifi bridge powered from the USB port.
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

Any updates on that video tutorial?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I actually have it on my todo list on my whiteboard in the workshop but things have been a bit hectic over the past few months. I'm hopeful I may get time to do it before Christmas but if not it will have to be in the new year.
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

Just doing a monthly check-in now that I have more free time on my hands... :)
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

It is such a simple mod that a video wont make it any easier to follow.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

hi google turned up this thread!

i was wondering if the xbox usb ports provide enough power for a set of USB speakers e.g. these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-00 ... B00544XKK4
which were 10.99 earlier dammit. heh.