Easy way to downscale movies to play on XBMC4XBOX

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Jobobn

Easy way to downscale movies to play on XBMC4XBOX

Post by Jobobn »

Hello,

I'm having a heck of a time getting most movies to play on my Xbox, and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to downscale video files before transferring them to the Xbox so that they won't freeze the 'Box. I tried following the guide written by The Pitt (I believe) about using StaxRip, and I've had zero success with using it. Not only do videos I convert to Xvid freeze after 2 seconds when I try to play them on the Xbox, but just using the program to downscale .mkv to 560p or 480p resolution results in the Xbox being unable to display their subtitles for some reason.

As more and more videos are going to 1080p resolution, I'm finding it hard to find videos that my 'Box can play, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this, as I've been running my head into a wall for the last week or so.

Thanks,
Jobobn
GoTeamScotch

Re: Easy way to downscale movies to play on XBMC4XBOX

Post by GoTeamScotch »

BuZz wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 pm i use (commandline ffmpeg)

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i some_1080p_infile.mkv -scodec copy -acodec copy -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 3000k -maxrate 5000k -bufsize 4096k -s 1280x720 -f matroska -y outfile.mkv
single pass (as I transcode in realtime using mediatomb), but results look decent.
I've used this a couple times in the past. In 2017 though, proper HD media devices are getting powerful and cheap. If you're looking for quality video playback, using an old Xbox might be more effort than it's worth. ;)
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

You can use MeGUI. I wouldn't say it's very easy to the layperson, but you can get it done with a bit of patience. You'll eventually be able to toss in a video file, seperate it from the audio, extract subtitles, crop or resize the video, and of course downscale the video to any quality you want before throwing it all back together. I'd recommend keeping the bitrate below 1600.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Is there away to set up a PC to transcode HD videos on the fly to XBMC?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@XC-3730C
This is been discussed before, see if this helps:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3366&p=25882#p25882
christopheralvarado

Post by christopheralvarado »

Are you using DVDs or Blu-ray? Are you transferring or streaming?

I usually rip the DVD with folders and send it to the Xbox to play from xbmc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk