XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

blaeker18

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by blaeker18 »

Hello Rocky5. The Startech adapter is fully compatible with the xbox? I saw a video that you placed on youtube. This video uses the Startech adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBC9599ww6I

Is it necessary to use the ide 80-wire cable? Is the adapter compatible with the 2tb.

Adapter Sata to Ide Startech

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TR1359-IDE2SA ... SwLqFV8zRv
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

blaeker18 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:09 am Hello Rocky5. The Startech adapter is fully compatible with the xbox? I saw a video that you placed on youtube. This video uses the Startech adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBC9599ww6I

Is it necessary to use the ide 80-wire cable? Is the adapter compatible with the 2tb.

Adapter Sata to Ide Startech

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TR1359-IDE2SA ... SwLqFV8zRv
Always use an 80 wire IDE cable when using SATA drives.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

XC-3730C wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:50 pm What SATA adapter is recommended so I don't have to use an 80 pin IDE cable?
There is NONE. Always use an 80-wire IDE cable when using a SATA HDD and IDE-to-SATA adapter.

The higher speed transfer rate the Xbox IDE controller and IDE-to-SATA adapter/SATA drive negotiate at startup REQUIRES the extra shielding provided by the 80-wire cabling. It's still 40 pins but has a ground wire between each signal line to eliminate crosstalk -- allows higher speed data transfers to be made reliably.

The only possibility would be, if there even exists such a utility by drive manufacturers, to set a lower (UDMA33 or 66) maximum negotiated transfer rate.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Hello, i wanted to get a bigger hdd into my xbox.

I bought a Hitachi 2tb hdd http://www.ebay.de/itm/2TB-Hitachi-HDD- ... 2749.l2649 and this adapter. ADP 06 http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kingwin-ADP-06-S ... 0290.m3507

The xbox is not recognizing any of my sata hdd. Whether the 2tb hdd, my 1,5tb samsung or another 1tb Samsung hdd..

I thought the adapter is working well in the xbox? Any solutions?

Ok, i just found out, the problem could be that i just use the original 40 pin cable instead of the one with 80
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

lordalex wrote:Hello, i wanted to get a bigger hdd into my xbox.

I bought a Hitachi 2tb hdd http://www.ebay.de/itm/2TB-Hitachi-HDD- ... 2749.l2649 and this adapter. ADP 06 http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kingwin-ADP-06-S ... 0290.m3507

The xbox is not recognizing any of my sata hdd. Whether the 2tb hdd, my 1,5tb samsung or another 1tb Samsung hdd..

I thought the adapter is working well in the xbox? Any solutions?

Ok, i just found out, the problem could be that i just use the original 40 pin cable instead of the one with 80
I have that exact same HDD and same adapter. Been running it over a year now. Only had one issue. My IGR would appears error 7 on me. I had to use EVTool to set my IGR to fast boot to fix my issue. Took a year of trying everything else because I thought that if IGR said more compatible meant less issues. I wish I would have tried that sooner rather than later.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Im getting also error 7 right now. I thought the reason is the incompability of my hdd. So do you think i just have to do the same thing like you and set it to fastboot?
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

Yes it took a year for me to try everything..... You should see all my threads over at the Coin-Ops forum about it. There's a ton. It all boiled down to changing the IGR to fastboot.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Okay,

i tried again with a 80 pin cable and theres still the error 07.

I have the xchanger modchip. Whats the best way to edit the bios?

This is the bios right now Evox M8.06 noani *FC*
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Setting IGR to fast or compatible will make no difference if you can’t load the HDD to begin with.

Get yourself an adaptor that is know to be 100% compatible consistently.

I only purchase two types, startech and a specific generic green one.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

Rocky5 wrote:Setting IGR to fast or compatible will make no difference if you can’t load the HDD to begin with.

Get yourself an adaptor that is know to be 100% compatible consistently.

I only purchase two types, startech and a specific generic green one.
It's weird I have the exact same adapter and hard drive in my Xbox. I guess the adapter could just be a faulty one.

@lordalex And your sure the cable settings on the adapter are set correctly?
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Flashed now with edited IGR. Still error 7.

the jumper connects the left and middle pin. Also tried with middle / right and without jumper. Always error 7. And 3 different sata drives. Hitachi, Samsung and WD
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

Ok try putting a game disc in and see if it starts. If it starts then IGR and see if it restarts.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

RandySlim76 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 pm Ok try putting a game disc in and see if it starts. If it starts then IGR and see if it restarts.
I just flashed bios with IGR set to quick. Still getting error 7. Unable to get to autoinstaller menu on disk
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

lordalex wrote:
RandySlim76 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 pm Ok try putting a game disc in and see if it starts. If it starts then IGR and see if it restarts.
I just flashed bios with IGR set to quick. Still getting error 7. Unable to get to autoinstaller menu on disk
Like it won't read a disc before it error 7?
If so I had that happen too.
I found a disc image made by frosty that let it bit so you could fix your BIOS again.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

No, i think you did misunderstood me. Bios is working well with IGR set to fast boot. If try to boot autoinstaller disk with the new hdd attached i get the error 07.
Out of solutions now. Maybe an other ide connector would help. Some suggestions?
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

lordalex wrote:No, i think you did misunderstood me. Bios is working well with IGR set to fast boot. If try to boot autoinstaller disk with the new hdd attached i get the error 07.
Out of solutions now. Maybe an other ide connector would help. Some suggestions?
Is flubber still enabled in bootup?
Meaning the green animation before the Xbox logo?
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Nope. I just see the xbox logo screen with the evox logo on the upper left of the screen
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

lordalex wrote:Nope. I just see the xbox logo screen with the evox logo on the upper left of the screen
That's where your trouble lies...... Change your BIOS to be able to show the flubber. Your hard drive doesn't have time to spin up to find the default.xbe or whatever is your main dash before the BIOS thinks the hard drive is dead. No amount of shortcuts will fix the flubber being missing. If you had a IDE drive then you could turn flubber off. The SATA adapter slows boot time down.... Allot..
So reflash your BIOS and make sure flubber/animation is turned on.

P.S. I only use EVTOOL to change my BIOS because my xbox is TSOPed.
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Ok, thank you! Gonna try this later.

I used EVtool too. Simple tool
lordalex

Post by lordalex »

Ok, i just flashed the bios again.

If i start my xbox with the eject button, the flodder is not showing up and i just see the xbox logo.
If i start my xbox via power button, im entering the modchip menu. After that i start with modchip bios and the flooder is showing up. After this, nothing happens. I just see the xbox logo and nothing comes up anymore. No error, but also no booting from cd