Adding different DVD drive to the OG XBOX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
BillGatesDad

Adding different DVD drive to the OG XBOX

Post by BillGatesDad »

Hi guys, back in the day at XBOX-SCENE I was able to find information on how to rmeove the stock XBOX dvd drive and install in its place a random DVD drive I had lying around the house.

The idea was great and worked well, in fact I was able to install a DVD burner in the XBOX and burn data to DVD through XDSL. Ahh, those old glory days.

Alright, anyhow, I cannibalized the power line so I can connect a power lead to my third party DVD drive, but I cannot recall what to do with the yellow wires/plug from the XBOX board to the XBOX DVD drive. I DO recall that I had to cut the wires and twist them together to ground or cancel them out, but I cant recall if there was a specific arrangement of how the wires had to be tied off together.

Why do I want to change my drive now, you ask? Because the stock is junk and won't read anything anymore, and it's locked up so I have to pop it open everytime I want to swap discs.

YES, I am aware that a third party drive will not read nor execute XBOX game discs.
BillGatesDad

Re: Adding different DVD drive to the OG XBOX

Post by BillGatesDad »

Alright, I set the jumper to slave, where as I had it set as CS previously.

The XBOX is booting but stuck at the "dvd busy" listing on the file manager. When I attempt to explore it, it replies with "insert a disc,"

Any ideas? Do I have to do the twisting of the yellow wires? I don't remember anymore.