Intro - What is ConfigMagic?
ConfigMagic is an Xbox application that locks/unlocks Xbox hard drives and allows the user to manage their Xbox's EEPROM easily, including altering it, backing it up, and restoring from a backup. This application does not require a hard-modded Xbox in order to run. Through it, you can do a process known as "nulling" (aka "zeroizing") your Xbox's unique hard drive key. This makes the need of having EEPROM backups and using proper hard drive passwords irrelevant because there is then only one key you need to keep track of and it can be the same on all of your Xboxes, hardmodded or softmodded. If a drive fails or the softmod breaks, gaining access to the drive is a piece of cake. Just drop the drive in a hardmodded Xbox or connect it to a PC to fix the softmod.
ConfigMagic was created by TeamAssembly. It was later modified by Yoshiro to include Xbox v1.6 support.
- New UI images
- Fonts size adjusted. All text now fits on screen. Font colors altered to help differentiate between different elements.
- Size reduced from 7.93MB (5.2MB compressed) to 3.12MB (1.0MB compressed). This makes it much easier to bundle ConfigMagic on a stock Xbox memory unit (8MB). This was my primary reason for modifying CM to begin with.
- Videos removed. Credits retained and put on end "sponsor" screen.
- Some messages altered to look more user friendly or become more legible. Less use of ALL-CAPS. Message added for softmod users to remember to lock the drive before rebooting. Other minor string changes.
- default.tbn XBMC Icon
How To Zeroize
Important: If you're on a softmodded Xbox that uses a virtual/shadow C drive, disable the virtual/shadow C drive first. It's also a good idea to backup your EEPROM first in case you need to restore it later for some reason. To backup, select "Create Backup Files" in CM, quit CM, and FTP your EEPROM backup files from E:\Backup to your PC for safekeeping.
- In ConfigMagic, press the Start button on your controller and select "Unlock HDD" from the list. Once done, press A to return to CM's main screen.
- Press start again and select "On-The-Fly Edit EEPROM".
- Press down on the d-pad and select your "Unique HDD Key". A keyboard will appear.
- Press left on the d-pad and select "Del". Repeat until your current HDD key is blank.
- Go up to the top left and select 0 (zero) repeatedly. You'll need to enter 32 zeroes. Just keep pressing A on zero until it doesn't let you add any more zeroes. When done, select "OK" from the keyboard. Note: Using 32 ones allows for compatibility with Insignia. See section below before continuing.
- Press Start and select "Update Xbox EEPROM". After a few seconds, your Xbox's EEPROM will be updated with your new zeroized HDD key.
- If your Xbox is hardmodded (modchip/TSOP flash) the rest is optional because hardmodded consoles don't require the HDD to be locked.
- Press Start and select "Load XBOX EEPROM".
- Press Start and select "Lock HDD".
If you intend on using your Xbox with Insignia, the community-driven Xbox Live replacement for Original Xbox, then your hard drive key CANNOT be set to all zeroes. Insignia requires a "valid" hard drive key, and all-zeroes is not a valid HDD key. Your HDD key just has to be something else than all-zeroes. For example, all ones is fine. So, on step #5 above, press 1 (one) repeatedly until you have 32 ones.
ConfigMagic-XBOX-GTS - 1MB (Google Drive)
(The file with "PSD" in the name is a ZIP file containing the source Photoshop files used in this mod)