Don't know how my modded xbox work

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Jason wong

Don't know how my modded xbox work

Post by Jason wong »

Hello everyone, I bought an original Xbox online. It seller said it was modded and it has almost 100 games on burned discs. But the Xbox can't read any disc. I have a picture of the menu. So can anyone tell me how I can get it to work. Or if I need to softmod it or if it possible to softmod it. Image
Last edited by Jason wong on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocky5

Re: Don't know how my modded xbox work

Post by Rocky5 »

Pictures or the dashboard, front of the console ( LED = orange means modded, green = not modded in 99% of the time )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Whole thing sounds dodgy to me.

If the seller was being 100% legal he would have had to supply the original games' discs not backup copies. But why did he go to the expense and time doing that if the Xbox is modded. Maybe the Xbox is still fitted with the original 8 -10GB HDD.

But for not much more than the cost of 100 decent DVD-Rs he could have bought a 320GB - 500GB HDD, fitted that, legitimately charged you more for that and installed all or at least most of the same 100 games for less time and effort.

It just doesn't make sense as described so we we to know more.

1). When you turn on the Xbox what dashboard are you getting: the original MS dash or something else: UnleashX, XBMC or EvoX?

2). Are you getting any error message when you load one of those backup copies or are they just not playing?

As Rocky5 suggested: a few pictures can be worth a thousand words. :)
Jason wong

Post by Jason wong »

I'm sorry it took me so long to post pictures, I'm new to forums so I didn't know how.

GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Your Xbox has the standard 10GB hard disk in it, which might explain why the seller only provided discs and didn't save the games directly to the Xbox itself. It's running EvolutionX as its dashboard (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It has been modded. The "AID" text at the bottom makes me think it's an old version of "Auto-Installer Deluxe", which would mean it's softmodded. That's not bad, it's just good to remember about your Xbox.

This might be a dumb question, but you've selected the bottom menu option labelled "Play Game / Media From DVD" with a disc in the drive, correct?

If your answer is Yes, then there's 3 possible things going on:
1) Your Xbox laser doesn't work any more. This is common now days with Xbox being 16 years old. Do you hear any strange noises coming from the Xbox when you put a disc in? Does it sound like it's trying to read for a while and then stops or does it stop trying almost immediately?
2) The discs were burned for use in a PC and not an Xbox. This isn't likely, but it's possible the seller burned the discs wrong. Pop a few in your PC and see if you can read the files on the discs.
3) The mod that the seller is using (AID 3.0) is preventing the disc from loading. This isn't likely but it can happen if the menu is not set to auto-load discs AND the bottom "Play Game" option for some reason isn't setup right.

Can you plug the xbox into your home network? You should see number appear next to "IP", which can be used to look around on the Xbox from a computer.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Jason wong

Post by Jason wong »

OK thanks for the fast response.

1)The dvd drive doesn't make any sound it's very silent. It opens and closes well, but can't see the disc.
2)not tested on the computer. (not at home at the moment)
3)I did try the "play game" option, but it is not highlighted. It is not selectable.

I have tried alot of discs but all have the same issue.
Can I get it to work if I installed games on the hd?
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

Pop an original XBOX game disc or a music cd.
To make sure if the DVD drive still works.

Yes you can install games on the HDD, but 10GB is to small for this.
Jason wong

Post by Jason wong »

Great, thanks for the information.
I will test it when I get home. I think I have a old 250gb hd somewhere, so I can just switch it out? How do I get the games on it? Is it the same as any other softmod tutorial? And can I update the softmod on the system?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

I take it the Xlogo is blue when you turn the system on? If so you aren't softmodded. It's a hardware hack, TSOP or Chip.
( softmods cannot modify the boot process in anyway, as it's loaded after )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The Xbox uses ATA/IDE HDDs so if the 250GB HDD is SATA you'll need an adapter. There is a thread here giving a lot of information about suitable models.

But the first thing you should do is update what is undoubtedly a very old installation* (read Rocky5's latest post). The last AID version was v4.53 Lite I think, 2011 and the date I have for AID v3.0 is 2006. The EvoX dash shown looks old too and now you'd be better off with UnleashX or XBMC.

BTW often with AID it is installed as an Application. If you have an Application launcher option in the EvoX dash menu check/report what apps are installed. AID or another apps have file managers and other settings options which could be useful.

However, as also suggested the first check to do is that Xbox disc drive is working by using a genuine original Xbox game disc. If it plays that OK (fingers crosses it does) then chances are the discs supplied have all been burned incorrectly or incompatible media was used. The latter is the most likely.

*As Rocky5 has just posted it looks like your machine is chipped or TSOPed. You're going to have to open up the Xbox to fit the new HDD anyway but you should do that to confirm it is.

It is pretty clear from your pictures that the Xbox has been opened before. If the colour isn't due to the lighting the case looks to be non-standard (and not in brilliant condition) and the fitted, original 8-10GB HDD has writing on it.

You'll need a Torx screwdriver set to remove the case screws, HDD and disc drive caddies to see the MB. Look for a chip, often actually attached to the left hand side of the case, and visible without taking out the HDD/disc drive or if there is any obvious non-standard wiring on the MB.

If it is chipped or TSOPed then fitting a new HDD is simple using HeXEn or a much later AID version but in both cases a working disc drive makes things even easier. As part of the process you'll be able to install your dashboard of choice.

But unfortunately if those discs have been incorrectly burned they may be unusable at worst or you are going to have to do a lot of work extracting the content and burning them correctly.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason wong

Post by Jason wong »

Thanks guys, you are a great community. I couldn't figure it out. And put it ebay and sold it.
Now it is someone else who has to deal with it. But I told him about the problem, so I don't feel bad. Thanks again and till next time
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

hope to see you soon!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!