Parts for softmodding and using xboxes

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
LudviG

Parts for softmodding and using xboxes

Post by LudviG »

I am stockpiling a bit of stuff that may come in handy for my Xboxes and for softmodding. But I need some advice on what to get.

I have been used to using component cables for my Xboxes, but the proper ones (monster, Microsoft) have become very expensive. Would I better off getting proper scart cables and abscart to hdmi or dvi converter?

I am going to set up one to have at work, since I live at work every second week. I was thinking of getting a cheap TV, but we have loads of unused computer monitors. Anyone tried unpowered component to dvi converters?

Most dvd drives i own for the Xbox got the stuck tray problem, and one don't read discs. Is there somewhere to easily get hold of the rubber bands for these DVD drives? The one with read error I am not sure I will fix, it's the one that is known to be bad (Thompson?, can't remember atm), and I guess it's the laser. It used to have a ghostcase mod on it, so there is no top plate.

I am also looking for wireless controller (Logitech or other proper ones) and break out cables and extension cables for the controllers.

Is there any one place to order most of these stuff nowadays, or do I need to use ebay or Amazon and order stuff separate?

Sent fra min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
nidge

Re: Parts for softmodding and using xboxes

Post by nidge »

try cleaning the belts and wheels with a little warm soapy water :D
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I will try that first. :)

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

LudviG wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am I am stockpiling a bit of stuff that may come in handy for my Xboxes and for softmodding. But I need some advice on what to
To either Soft Mod or TSOP Flash you would need to use a "save game exploit" this would require a "memory card" and an exploitable game either Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire or Mech Assualt... You may want to avoid the classic covered versions of these games as they might be patched...
LudviG wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am Most dvd drives i own for the Xbox got the stuck tray problem, and one don't read discs. Is there somewhere to easily get hold of the rubber bands for these DVD drives? The one with read error I am not sure I will fix, it's the one that is known to be bad (Thompson?, can't remember atm), and I guess it's the laser. It used to have a ghostcase mod on it, so there is no top plate.
I often repair sticky drives by opening them up and giving them a good clean next I would replace the rubber drive belt, I tend to use O-rings from a bolts and fasteners shop. I would also lube a teethed parts with machinery grease. It is possible to clean the laser lens with a cotton tip and window cleaner but be very gentle...
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

NeMesiS wrote:
LudviG wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am I am stockpiling a bit of stuff that may come in handy for my Xboxes and for softmodding. But I need some advice on what to
To either Soft Mod or TSOP Flash you would need to use a "save game exploit" this would require a "memory card" and an exploitable game either Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire or Mech Assualt... You may want to avoid the classic covered versions of these games as they might be patched...
LudviG wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am Most dvd drives i own for the Xbox got the stuck tray problem, and one don't read discs. Is there somewhere to easily get hold of the rubber bands for these DVD drives? The one with read error I am not sure I will fix, it's the one that is known to be bad (Thompson?, can't remember atm), and I guess it's the laser. It used to have a ghostcase mod on it, so there is no top plate.
I often repair sticky drives by opening them up and giving them a good clean next I would replace the rubber drive belt, I tend to use O-rings from a bolts and fasteners shop. I would also lube a teethed parts with machinery grease. It is possible to clean the laser lens with a cotton tip and window cleaner but be very gentle...
Yeah I got the games needed, or at least 2 of them. I have splinter cell and mech assault. Both are the originals. I am also planning on a USB stick, using an old memory card to put an USB port in. I like that kind of mod since I can use with all controllers. A cable would ofc be easier, but I like the challenge. Figured I could sacrifice the memory card, since chimp won't fit on it either way. So I can use it for save game and chimp.

O-rings seems like a good idea, cheap and easy to get hold of. Greasing I will do. The DVD drive that don't read DVDs I have tried to clean the laser, but I think there is something faulty with the laser.

Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You can use any version of the following games to softmod your Xbox.
  • Splinter Cell
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
Note: NTSC-J consoles require the Asian version of Splinter Cell + the NTSC save.

The following two games require specific versions of the game.
  • Mechassault
    ( #MS02301L on inner ring )
  • 007 Agent Under Fire
    ( #1448517 on inner ring )
Note: Mechassault, is the worst game to use as it was patched quickly and it's now rare to find the compatible version :shock:
007 AUF fixed version is rare to get as it was released a long time after release. ( Platimum hits - #1448527 on inner ring )

You can download the saves here, including the new TH4 save.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... ves/Zipped

The o-ring in my drive I cleaned in very hot water + fairy liquid and that fixed my sticky drive issue.
( done that yesterday, was getting on my tits having to bang the top of the drive to open it :lol: )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Rocky5 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 pm You can use any version of the following games to softmod your Xbox.
I actually was looking at your softmod exploit a week or two ago and noticed the "TH4" folder
I've been meaning to ask you about it, I assumed it was "Tony Hawk 4"
Either way you confirmed what I wanted to know, cheers...

When did this TH4 exploit come by?

I'm sure I read years ago that there are patched versions on "Splinter Cell"?

LudviG wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm Yeah I got the games needed, or at least 2 of them. I have splinter cell and mech assault. Both are the originals. I am also planning on a USB stick, using an old memory card to put an USB port in. I like that kind of mod since I can use with all controllers. A cable would ofc be easier, but I like the challenge. Figured I could sacrifice the memory card, since chimp won't fit on it either way. So I can use it for save game and chimp.
Firstly I probably wouldn't rely on using USB sticks as you will probably have issues with compatibility.
I remember having this difficulty over ten years ago (2005), when even then the USB sticks were too new.
I have an old 256mb stick which was the only compatible USB stick I ever come across and I still have it.
But on the other hand I could be wrong I havnt tried a new stick from more recent times....
I faintly remember that some people found that an micro SD card in a USB adaptor did the trick..

Alternatively I would suggest installing via DVD installer but don't think this is an option for you atm...
Or even easier FTP it across once the console has been softmodded with the exploit...
You only really need the exploits on the memory card...

I really would avoid destroying a memory card, I know that in Australia they are very hard to come by and expensive.
There are cheap chinese "usb to xbox" cables on eBay for only a couple of dollars...
s-l500.jpg
I got these with my Xenium's years ago...
DSC04700.JPG
LudviG wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm O-rings seems like a good idea, cheap and easy to get hold of. Greasing I will do. The DVD drive that don't read DVDs I have tried to clean the laser, but I think there is something faulty with the laser.
It is possible to find replacement laser assembly's...
Open up your DVD and try and find the model number of the laser, I know it can vary with the Samsung drives.
Then you can try and find it at "AliExpress", try and find a seller that has "ePacket" as a postage options...
ePacket is by far the best and cheapest option for item coming from China. About 8 days for me, otherwise it could take a month..
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Rocky5 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 pm You can use any version of the following games to softmod your Xbox.
  • Splinter Cell
Note: NTSC-J consoles require the Asian version of Splinter Cell + the NTSC save.

The following two games require specific versions of the game.
  • Mechassault
    ( #MS02301L on inner ring )
  • 007 Agent Under Fire
    ( #1448517 on inner ring )
Note: Mechassault, is the worst game to use as it was patched quickly and it's now rare to find the compatible version :shock:
007 AUF fixed version is rare to get as it was released a long time after release. ( Platimum hits - #1448527 on inner ring )

You can download the saves here, including the new TH4 save.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... ves/Zipped

The o-ring in my drive I cleaned in very hot water + fairy liquid and that fixed my sticky drive issue.
( done that yesterday, was getting on my tits having to bang the top of the drive to open it :lol: )
As i mentioned earlier, I have Splinter Cell and Mechassault. Checked the matrix code in the disc now, and it seems like i got the correct version.

Thansk for the DL link :D

I will try cleaning the drivebelt on my sticky DVD drives, and if that fails o-ring replacement

NeMesiS wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 am
I actually was looking at your softmod exploit a week or two ago and noticed the "TH4" folder
I've been meaning to ask you about it, I assumed it was "Tony Hawk 4"
Either way you confirmed what I wanted to know, cheers...

When did this TH4 exploit come by?

I'm sure I read years ago that there are patched versions on "Splinter Cell"?

LudviG wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm Yeah I got the games needed, or at least 2 of them. I have splinter cell and mech assault. Both are the originals. I am also planning on a USB stick, using an old memory card to put an USB port in. I like that kind of mod since I can use with all controllers. A cable would ofc be easier, but I like the challenge. Figured I could sacrifice the memory card, since chimp won't fit on it either way. So I can use it for save game and chimp.
Firstly I probably wouldn't rely on using USB sticks as you will probably have issues with compatibility.
I remember having this difficulty over ten years ago (2005), when even then the USB sticks were too new.
I have an old 256mb stick which was the only compatible USB stick I ever come across and I still have it.
But on the other hand I could be wrong I havnt tried a new stick from more recent times....
I faintly remember that some people found that an micro SD card in a USB adaptor did the trick..

Alternatively I would suggest installing via DVD installer but don't think this is an option for you atm...
Or even easier FTP it across once the console has been softmodded with the exploit...
You only really need the exploits on the memory card...

I really would avoid destroying a memory card, I know that in Australia they are very hard to come by and expensive.
There are cheap chinese "usb to xbox" cables on eBay for only a couple of dollars...

s-l500.jpg

I got these with my Xenium's years ago...

DSC04700.JPG
LudviG wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm O-rings seems like a good idea, cheap and easy to get hold of. Greasing I will do. The DVD drive that don't read DVDs I have tried to clean the laser, but I think there is something faulty with the laser.
It is possible to find replacement laser assembly's...
Open up your DVD and try and find the model number of the laser, I know it can vary with the Samsung drives.
Then you can try and find it at "AliExpress", try and find a seller that has "ePacket" as a postage options...
ePacket is by far the best and cheapest option for item coming from China. About 8 days for me, otherwise it could take a month..

I know about the cheap cables, and they would be easy to make. The reason i want to do ut the hard way, si that its an project for me. I work on a fish farm, and live on a barge at sea every second week. I am getting really tired of surfing the web and watching tv, so projects are very welcome to make the evenings pass. I actually started modding the memory card, before i read this, but i havent destroyed it yet. I will make a post about it, and you can see the reason there. But because of this, i decided to make a cable for now and maybe do the memory card mod later (If not i decide to keep it, we'll see).

I have about 20 different usb sticks to try, from old ones to new ones. Hopefully i will find one that works, but if not i may try using the memory card so i can finally softmod an xbox (Have several softmodded xboxes, but they where done ages ago and by my brother in law. It's time for me to do one myself) But then there's the question. How to get a savegame on to the memory card if thats what i need to do. Can i just connect it to the computer via the controller and usb? I have a controller port to USB cable i made years ago, to use the xbox controller on a pc.

About changing the laser, i don't think i will do that. The drive with (i guess) a faulty laser is an Thomson drive. As far as i remember they are notourisly bad, but i used one because they where the only ones that the ghostcase dvd drive mod fitted on (if i remember correct) I got several other DVD drives laying around, but i think all of them have sticky drives :P
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You can use one of your softmodded Xbox to transfer the saves to the memory card. That's the simplest and easiest way.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Yeah, ofc that is an option. Sadly I am at work for a week and don't have any other Xbox here.

AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

LudviG wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 pmCan i just connect it to the computer via the controller and usb? I have a controller port to USB cable i made years ago, to use the xbox controller on a pc.
Yes, this should work. You'll need computer software (and possibly drivers) that will recognize the Xbox memory card. The typical software/driver package that people use is Action Replay, but I've read about people using Xplorer360 (which apparently doesn't need drivers to access the memory card). I saw in your other thread that you've already added a USB port to your memory card, which is what I did with my memory card a long time ago (although I used a male USB port to directly connect to the computer without the need for another cable).