Issues with games freezing when launching.

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
GreenLanternGamer

Issues with games freezing when launching.

Post by GreenLanternGamer »

Hi there, I'm new to the modding scene and I seem to have run into a bit of a problem.

I'm trying to run games that I've ripped to my HDD, and most of them work, but a few freeze when I launch the game. I had this issue early on with Ninja Gaiden Black, but I found a simple fix where deleting the MyPrograms6.db and then restarting XBMC resolved the issue. Now, though, this solution doesn't seem to work with three separate games. Fatal Frame II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x, and Jade Empire. When I start Jade Empire, the screen just goes black and I have to restart the console. Tony Hawk goes through all the developer screens and attract mode video, but freezes if you let the opening vid play out or if you press start during the opening video. Fatal Frame II shows the Tecmo logo, and freezes when the logo is fading out. I've looked all over the place and cant find a solution. Do these game just not work off the HDD or am I doing something wrong.

Also, for some background, I did not mod this Xbox myself. It was gifted to me by a friend that had it traded in at his game store. When he found out it was modded and he couldn't sell it, he gave it to me and I've been stumbling my way through this ever since. Thank you in advance for your time.
Rocky5

Re: Issues with games freezing when launching.

Post by Rocky5 »

Patch the games with DVD2Xbox ( on the Xbox itself ) you can do it via DVD2Xbox's file manager.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GreenLanternGamer

Rocky5 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:59 pm Patch the games with DVD2Xbox ( on the Xbox itself ) you can do it via DVD2Xbox's file manager.
Do you mean the ACL, because I've done that and it doesn't seem to help.
GreenLanternGamer

Okay, after doing some research, I've learned that there some games require a specific ACL patch, and not just the default on that comes with DVD2Xbox. I apologize for being so hasty in my earlier reply. The problem I have now is, I have no idea where to get the ACL patches from. Off to do more research. Thanks Buddy!
GreenLanternGamer

Okay, I could not find a specific ACL file for any of the three games I'm currently having issues with. I downloaded a DVD2Xbox zip that had a large number of ACL files included with it, FTP the ACL files to the proper folder on the Xbox, processed the ACLs, same outcome as before. Is there a specific Patch that I am supposed to be looking for? Because the only one I can seem to find is for NFL Fever 2004. Thanks again.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

No the generic one should do, make sure ACL Patching is enabled.

What region are the games? also crashing is usually due to corrupt files or media flags.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
GreenLanternGamer

Tony Hawk and Fatal Frame are both NTSC-U, Jade Empire is PAL. I've tried running Jade Empire as a PAL game through the XBMC dashboard, same problem. I checked DVD2Xbox's settings, ACL processing is enabled, ACL RM/MV/EP is disabled. Do I need to enable it?

EDIT:
Or do I need to update DVD2Xbox?
GreenLanternGamer

I enabled the second ACL option, no dice. Is there a way I can verify the game to make sure none of the files are corrupted?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

GreenLanternGamer wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 1:24 am I enabled the second ACL option, no dice. Is there a way I can verify the game to make sure none of the files are corrupted?
I will test my copies and see if they load on my v1.6 test box and get back to you. It won't be till later on in the day as I have my nieces BD party to go to :?

One of the Tony Hawk games won't work off the HDD ( can't remember what one ) if it's in plain files, due to a long filename check that was used later in the Xbox life cycle to check if a game was loaded off the hdd. ( you can run it as an ISO off the hdd instead, also a couple other game have this check ) Filenames can only be 42 characters long when on the HDD, due to the Fatx filesystem. That's also including the extension.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
GreenLanternGamer

Right on, Thanks very much, man. have a good time and tell your niece happy birthday!!
Also, I'm not sure how to run isos off the hdd. thanks again.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

GreenLanternGamer wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 4:38 pm Right on, Thanks very much, man. have a good time and tell your niece happy birthday!!
Also, I'm not sure how to run isos off the hdd. thanks again.
OK, TH2x and FF2 work fine off the HDD, Jade empire crashes on the first splash screen, so will need to see if I can fix that.

Update:
Jade Empire you need to remove or rename the chitin.key file and it will work.
Edit:
OK that never fixed it, guess I will need to tinker more or just run it from an ISO.

Update 2:
Got Jade Empire to work off the HDD, but it requires you run the game from an ISO.
Now to do so you need to create an XISO of the game and then cut the XISO in two. Split it by 4094MB & then you get the attach.xbe file, or if you have the disc just rip it with DVD2Xbox and press (Y) to enable the ISO mode.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
GreenLanternGamer

Rocky5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 pm Update 2:
Got Jade Empire to work off the HDD, but it requires you run the game from an ISO.
Now to do so you need to create an XISO of the game and then cut the XISO in two. Split it by 4094MB & then you get the attach.xbe file, or if you have the disc just rip it with DVD2Xbox and press (Y) to enable the ISO mode.
I'm unsure how to create an XISO, do I need a specific program for that?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

GreenLanternGamer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:22 am
I'm unsure how to create an XISO, do I need a specific program for that?

Here you go, just stick your"Jade Empire" folder into this folder and then drag it onto the .bat file and it will create an XISO file then split it for you. I modified the xdvdfs tools source to allow DVD9 sized XISO files.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRN8P ... sp=sharing

All you need to do is get the attach.xbe.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
GreenLanternGamer

Wow, thanks a lot man, I'll give this a try and let you know how it works out.
GreenLanternGamer

GreenLanternGamer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:22 am

Okay, I've got the iso split now, I'm sorry to keep bothering you but I must ask one more question. Where do I get or how do I make an attach.xbe file? I've tried to research some of this but I can't find any information, or when I do, it links to a dead website. Also, I seem to have somehow broken the forums and now it says this new message is a quote. weird.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

I will upload the attach.xbe for you later on.

Edit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRN8P ... sp=sharing
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5