Xbox 1.4ghz upgrade finally done!

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

So after doing the 1ghz upgrade for a while i started working on the 1.4ghz upgrade.
As this one needs a speciall adapter pcb that's not available to buy i needed to design it myself.
Well after about 2 years off studying photos, datasheets and luckily some help off a DreamX owner i was able to finish the Design. And i was lucky that it worked with the first batch off pcbs!

As you may see the design is almost exactly the same as the DreamX design as i tried to copy that as close as possible as a starting point. Routing the inner layers was a bit off work but it worked out fine!
Haven't tested the speed-switch curcuit i implemented on there. It uses the same components and curcuit as on the Dream-X so i hope it works out off the box!

-> For anyone interested in a 1.4ghz upgraded board. This is only a test setup and is not for sale.
I will end up offering these consoles once i tested the speed switch function and found a suitable cooling solution. I might also offer them without a heatsink for anyone who wants to build one thereself.

Without a lot off talking some photos off my prototype:
As you can see i didn't use a socket as trusty or Friendtech did but i soldered it directly to the board to save on space and connection errors and maybe even a bit better heat dissipation to the board.

Image Image Image Image Image
professor_jonny

Re: Xbox 1.4ghz upgrade finally done!

Post by professor_jonny »

how many layer is it ? any buried vias ?
professor_jonny

I have been trying to find one of these aparantely it adds the ability to fit dual socket 370 into a slot 1 motherboard the motherboard is special but only in the fact there was an asic on the motherboard to control the two processors would be intresting to accomplish this using an fcpga on the xbox:

interesting but far fetched:

QDI TwinMagic dual socket 370 riser card (slot 1)
mb8.jpg
mb7.jpg
info here from a:
rhttp://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/990603/taipei14.htm
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Amazing work! 8-)
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

Great work N64 freak! I wish you make speed switch working too.
professor_jonny

MrMajst3r wrote:Great work N64 freak! I wish you make speed switch working too.
yip my chip does not have speed step control also trusty said I had to remove chip and place components underneath to do it.
I'm not really that game :-).
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

I'm working on the speed-switch tomorrow so hopefully more good news tomorrow.
Don't know trustys adapter but it may be that his early adapter didn't support the speed-switch cause off a missing connection or whatever.
Mine has all the traces connected (and hopefully correct!) and should support it but i'll see tomorrow.
I also posted this on Assemblergames (http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/xbo ... one.59935/) so as i'm more active there the thread may get more attention and will be updated more often.
I'll try to keep them both up-to-date but it's easier to only have one thread to watch!
othello

Post by othello »

[censored] great news !!!!
Finally !!
Bravo !!!
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hows it coming on N64? any news on the half speed switch?

If you can get that working, would it eliminate the need to patch games?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Well done N64, this is no small task and you've done a badass job with this. Always wanted a DreamX but not anymore. :lol:
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Wow that's seriously impressive! It's truly a rare feat that very few have accomplished so props for that. 8-)

So you designed the adapter board yourself? That must have been quite a tedious task. It came out looking great though. Do you plan on offering the adapter board for sale by itself or would it be something you do only by request sometime in the future? Reason I ask is because I've been researching and planning on doing my 1st 1ghz upgrade sometime soon, but hey the more/faster the merrier right? lol. The company I work for does reball and rework repairs and I've done a couple myself for personal hobby projects. It's always been a goal of mine to do. :geek:
Last edited by GoTeamScotch on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
nidge

Post by nidge »

I bought one of N64 Freaks 1ghz/128mb Xboxes from him. Recomended :D

Here are some pics of the system.

http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yep I have the N64 1Ghz/128mb Xbox - the work looks like it came from the factory like it! :D

I'd be interested in the 1.4Ghz box if the half speed switch can be made to function correctly and save me having to patch games ;)
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

was wondering if you still sell these cant access assembler atm and still interested in one of these :)
LulaNord

Post by LulaNord »

Hi...i am a new user here.I want ti know do you plan on offering the adapter board for sale by itself or would it be something you do only by request sometime in the future? Reason I ask is because I've been researching and planning on doing my 1st 1ghz upgrade sometime soon, but hey the more/faster the merrier right?
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

its a very intensive job to swap the processor. I highly doubt anyone will ever be offering the parts as a do it yourself mod. It also took a long time to figure out how to modify the socket to allow the processor to work, I wouldn't expect N64Freak to willingly give away how its done.