Cheap And Easy Xbox HDMI

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
professor_jonny

Re: Cheap And Easy Xbox HDMI

Post by professor_jonny »

gamerfreak147 wrote:What wire will work best for installing the converter? Kynar wire (30 AWG or finer) do the trick?
Anything will work really but you may get a better picture with coax.

Ideally you should use 75 ohm coax, if you could get a hold of some (RG-179/U) or even better 9221 Coax would be best.
xman

Post by xman »

toxicmedz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 am Don't know if its due to pulling my 5v source from the DVD drive cable or not but my converter drops image after a while for about 2 seconds before recovering. It will proceed to do that at least once more while playing a game before working perfectly. Any ideas? Should I change my power source?
I think it will be because you used the DVDrive as your power source. When I was originally testing this mod, to try and keep things neat I tried using that as my 5vDC supply and had issues and went back to just pulling the power off the mother board power connector.

I would also recommend soldering the ground to the ground ring rather than just squashing it in place.

When doing the original wire layout picture I choose brown as the 5vDC solely so no two wires in the picture had the same colour wires in an effort to make it as least confusing as possible. Red would have been better suited but that colour was already used for the red in the colour channels.

I found Kynar wire by far the easiest wire to use for all the wires.

Just a bit of a follow up, all the machines I did this mod to, about 12 in total and all the different model Xboxes are still working fine and since the mod was done, have never been connected anyway since other than HDMI so I would regard this mod well and truly tested and proven.

HDMI certainly kept my Xboxes useful because component lead TVs are certainly getting very hard to buy.
y0urh34d

Post by y0urh34d »

Hello just wondering, how much better is the picture clarity through the component to hdmi vs just straight component to the tv.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

y0urh34d wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am Hello just wondering, how much better is the picture clarity through the component to hdmi vs just straight component to the tv.
The same, the only reasons to do this modification are:
1) because you don't have component cables.
2) your TV doesn't have component ports.
( there is also OCD and the need to only have HDMI's :lol: )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
xman

Post by xman »

y0urh34d wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am Hello just wondering, how much better is the picture clarity through the component to hdmi vs just straight component to the tv.
HDMI is the way of the future as component is being phased out on TVs and Xbox component leads wear out.

Much better idea having a plug on the back of the machine, (HDMI), and then the HDMI lead can be just about any size so no longer restricting how far the machine can be placed away from the TV which was always a problem using dedicated component cables.

I have one machine connected by a 5 meter HDMI lead that would have only been possible using connectors in the past.

A single HDMI lead is also a whole heap neater than the 5 lead comparison using component.

I don't use an upscaler HDMI converter so the signal is still 720P.

So if the signal is as good as component and the HDMI cables are available everywhere, why would you continue using the original Xbox leads?.

The way I illustrated to do this mod is piss easy. I purposely designed it to be easy so others could somewhat future proof there machines.

I figured this would extend the useful life of these machines rather than a mod that may look good but does little to how long the machines would be useful after all it is pointless when you can't get a TV to plug it into is it?.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Does anyone have a tutorial for doing this mod? Which component to HDMI adapter was used?