1.4 to 1.1 tsop swap?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
professor_jonny

1.4 to 1.1 tsop swap?

Post by professor_jonny »

is it possible to swap a different sized tsop onto another board ?

I have a 1.1 and the tsop has suffered a bad flash and I have a v 1.4 xbox that is fried, I'm wondering if it is possible to swap the tsops over and if so do I have to reconfigure any wiring or jumpers on the motherboard ?
mmz16x

Re: 1.4 to 1.1 tsop swap?

Post by mmz16x »

why not just chip it and call it a day?
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Have you tried the three wire trick on the 1.1 TSOP? Depending on the bad flash situation, you might be able to access a bank that's still properly flashed.
professor_jonny

three wire trick wont work on this one and neither will the tsop recovery bios, I was told they tried to install an indbios which the recovery wont work on someone has butchered the ripped traces off around the lpc port removing a quick solder chip after trying to tsop it
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

When you say that the three wire trick won't work, do you mean that you actually tried and it didn't work? If you did try, then did you try all four banks?
professor_jonny

AZImmortal wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 am When you say that the three wire trick won't work, do you mean that you actually tried and it didn't work? If you did try, then did you try all four banks?
I tried it and it won't work, I guess a 29 wire mod chip would work also but I don't have one :-(

but I do have a few dead boards just none with 1024kb flash.

I guess I could study data sheets but if someone has already done it, it would save me the hassle.

I believe it would work but I would have use the 3 wire trick with it but I just don't know if they are pin for pin compatible but I have my doubts they are.

EDIT:
At a quick look they are similar but do differ in footprint so it would not be a direct solder it would need an adaptor.

The 1.0 xbox has a 29F080A chip and the 1.4 has a W49F020P so it would require an adaptor.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

You tried all four banks on the 1.1 TSOP when you tried the three wire trick? You basically need to do a normal 4-way TSOP split in order to access each bank individually. Check out the first Google Image result here for wiring instructions. I swear I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I'm trying to make sure that you've explored all of your options. :)

Regarding the 29 wire modchip, I've never built or used one myself, but I've read about people scavenging compatible bios chips from old computer motherboards and using them. You would need to figure out the wiring though and you would still need to program the chip with a bios somehow. If you don't have a programmer I guess you can wire it to a working Xbox first and flashing it there before installing it in the dead Xbox.
professor_jonny

AZImmortal wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:13 am You tried all four banks on the 1.1 TSOP.
Yip I did try all banks.

I think a 29 wire mod chip may be the easiest method to recover it unless I can find a dead ver 1.4 to swap tsops over.