Cheap And Easy Xbox HDMI

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Re: Cheap And Easy Xbox HDMI

Post by xman »

Henning_B wrote:Would it not be easier to solder the points to the backside of the connector, those points look huge.
Well on looking at that picture of my test board I took the picture of, it would indeed look easier but that board has the AVIP connector metal shielding removed which a standard machine does not and you can clearly see two rows of pins however the AVIP connector actually has 4 rows of pins so there are another 2 rows hidden under those 2 rows you can see and it is in those 2 hidden rows that the audio and video pins actually are. You couldn't get the tip of the soldering iron on to them to solder wires to. Sorry that picture is misleading but don't despair, those solder points I have high lighted are quite easy to solder to.
Henning_B

Post by Henning_B »

xman wrote:
Henning_B wrote:Would it not be easier to solder the points to the backside of the connector, those points look huge.
Well on looking at that picture of my test board I took the picture of, it would indeed look easier but that board has the AVIP connector metal shielding removed which a standard machine does not and you can clearly see two rows of pins however the AVIP connector actually has 4 rows of pins so there are another 2 rows hidden under those 2 rows you can see and it is in those 2 hidden rows that the audio and video pins actually are. You couldn't get the tip of the soldering iron on to them to solder wires to. Sorry that picture is misleading but don't despair, those solder points I have high lighted are quite easy to solder to.
do you still need to link the two points?

i have to do this as i have no av cable :P
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Ideally you should be soldering your wires to the filtered impedance matched short circuit protected pin on the avip port :-).

I'm not sure of the wiring of that area to see how it is wired but I would guess that side of the inductor is a potential problem waiting to happen, if I had some battery's for my multi meter I would check.

you could end up blowing the driver's for the video output if a fault happens.
xman

Post by xman »

Yer I solder the underside of the board pins to enable component mode. You will still need to do this even though you are using the upper side board solder points for the converter. They are pretty easy to do. They are in line with the pin right next to them. One link soldered between pin 11 going to pin 12 and another link soldered between pin 13 going to pin 14. I see no harm doing this on account these links short out the same pins but the link wires are in the head of the component cable itself rather than at the board pin locations about 2" further along the same wires.
professor_jonny

I'm meaning the wires to the converter should be connected to the avip port video output pins not the inductor on the top of the pcb I don't believe those spots are short circuit protected or have the proper impedance to match that of the converter, it is not ideal and could potentially cause a problem.

quite a lot of devices short the ground to the audio or video pin when the system is turned off to avoid static or interference and you may be bypassing the short circuit protection and could draw power from the converter to a dead short to ground on the xbox.

I don't have a multi meter available to check but I would recommend they be soldered to the under side of the pcb or a pad on the top that its directly connected to the avip port pins it would be an idea to de solder the inductor and check to be sure you are soldering to the correct point on the motherboard.
It looks like the output of the transistor is directly connected to the inductor.
xman

Post by xman »

Arr right. I thought you meant the links. At the above board locations I have shown in the picture, my meter shows no resistance at all from the pin points on the bottom of the board. I did that check myself because I was unsure which side of the component to connect the converter to however it has no resistance at all so I figured to go with the above board points. I measured from the below board points to the above and had no resistance and then to the other side of the above board component and still no resistance. And no resistance I mean not an ohm of resistance. As if the components I'm soldering to are 0 ohm resistors.
professor_jonny

I think they are inductors if you de solder them the side you are soldering to is possibly not directly connected to the avip port pins.

I'm guessing the inductors are 1 to 10µH just judging by the size.
1080p has a frequency of aprox 140mhz on the green line.
reactance is = 2*pi*f*L

so 2*3.14*140m*10u = 8.7k ohm

8.7k ohm equivalent series resistance at 140 MHz which is a large resistance and will limit current a lot, it is why i'd be sure you are soldering to the correct side of the inductor.
xman

Post by xman »

I did this machine of my son's a couple of weeks back with the ON OFF controller switch mod but it was only temporary, mainly to check out the mod because I knew he would use it a lot and I also knew his would get the HDMI mod when the parts arrived. It turned out I actually swapped out the mother board with one I had already modded. Turned out a lot of modding went into this machine when I was finished with it.
I relocated the yellow ON OFF control wire and ran it up the pin hole that holds the mother board power connector. Seems a much better way because the pin hole not only gets the wire from the underside of the board where the solder point is much larger, it also holds the wire nice and firm.
I also found I could run the power wire for the HDMI board from the mother board power connector 5vDC pin up one of the holes under the graphics chip, under the heatsink holder and under the HDMI converter box.
Also now I use the mother board mount hole right next to the HDMI converter box as the converter's ground.
The HDMI converter wires for the component leads are all now different colours and I still use the underside AVI points to solder them to just in case you are right P.J.. Better safe than sorry I say and I actually prefer the idea of using the mother board hole as a means of holding the wires in place rather than relying on soldering direct to the inductors.
I took out the modchip and TSOPed this board and decided to try out the IND bios instead of a trusty M8 bios. Both the TSOp and IND bios seem to be working fine.
I took out the 400GB IDE Hard drive and put in a 2Tb sata Hard drive that seems happy running with the IND bios and TSOP combo.
And lastly, I took out the original DVDrive from the 1.4 Halo machine and put in a H.L. DVDrive from a late 1.6 machine. The machine nearly got the Blue tooth mod but that is something I don't think this son would use. He uses a sound bar on his T.V. already.
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

To make this mod even better, I suggest to flash one of these bioses:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/for ... ift.59122/

These bioses force 480p, there is no need to extra patch some games which don't support 480p.
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

hey want to buy that portta converter that you guys are using but cant find a link
professor_jonny

just look got ypbpr to hdmi on ebay or as such you will find them make sure you get the right way around too :-)
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Are those alternate points on only the 1.6 xbox or are they the same on the older models?
professor_jonny

toxicmedz wrote:Are those alternate points on only the 1.6 xbox or are they the same on the older models?
I believe all models have inductors on the top on the video output lines but I don't recommend soldering to them as it is best to solder to the actual avpins on the port as they are protected against short circuit etc and with out knowing the wiring of that area those points could potentially be a bit unsafe to solder too, there is a reason the plugs are attached where they are.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Looks like you goofed on your connections picture, I've corrected it.
gamerfreak147

Post by gamerfreak147 »

Where does the green wire exactly go? I know he said "Brown wire is the 5vDC that goes to the motherboard connector". But where is that exactly?

Also the black wire, just to clarify, goes under the motherboard screw right?

I'm not big on wiring and soldering that's why I want everything to be a clear as possible to keep from blowing something up.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

gamerfreak147 wrote:Where does the green wire exactly go? I know he said "Brown wire is the 5vDC that goes to the motherboard connector". But where is that exactly?

I'm not big on wiring and soldering that's why I want everything to be a clear as possible to keep from blowing something up.
Correct, either solder to the ground pad around where the screw goes or just pin the wire down under the screw, both options work.
As for the 5v It depends on which version motherboard you have.
If its a version 1.0 to 1.5 you connect it to the pin for one of the red wires from the PSU
If its a 1.6 it can be connected to either the red wire or the orange. Personally I'd still use red since its not active when the xbox is off.

Personally I found it easier to take power from the DVD drive cable for my setup.

I honestly also wouldn't use those alternate solder points shown in that picture, I would recommend soldering to the pins on the bottom of the motherboard for the AV socket.

Here this is as clear as I can make it. Hope you don't mind xman I borrowed one of your pictures.
gamerfreak147

Post by gamerfreak147 »

toxicmedz wrote:
gamerfreak147 wrote:Where does the green wire exactly go? I know he said "Brown wire is the 5vDC that goes to the motherboard connector". But where is that exactly?

Correct, either solder to the ground pad around where the screw goes or just pin the wire down under the screw, both options work.
As for the 5v It depends on which version motherboard you have.
If its a version 1.0 to 1.5 you connect it to the pin for one of the red wires from the PSU
If its a 1.6 it can be connected to either the red wire or the orange. Personally I'd still use red since its not active when the xbox is off.

Personally I found it easier to take power from the DVD drive cable for my setup.

I honestly also wouldn't use those alternate solder points shown in that picture, I would recommend soldering to the pins on the bottom of the motherboard for the AV socket.

Here this is as clear as I can make it. Hope you don't mind xman I borrowed one of your pictures.
Awesome, thank you so much!

How did you go about hooking the power to the DVD drive cable?

Also, why do points 13 and 14, 11 and 12 need ground wiring?
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

gamerfreak147 wrote: Awesome, thank you so much!

How did you go about hooking the power to the DVD drive cable?

Also, why do points 13 and 14, 11 and 12 need ground wiring?
11,12 and 13,14 need to be bridged together with a short wire. It tells the console to output in component, without them bridged it wont boot because it thinks it doesn't have a video cable plugged in.
What I did for my adapter is shaved off some of the plastic on the side of one of the 5v wires and one of the ground and soldered to the exposed wire. You could also just solder to the bottom of the board to the correct spot of the connector.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Don't know if its due to pulling my 5v source from the DVD drive cable or not but my converter drops image after a while for about 2 seconds before recovering. It will proceed to do that at least once more while playing a game before working perfectly. Any ideas? Should I change my power source?
gamerfreak147

Post by gamerfreak147 »

What wire will work best for installing the converter? Kynar wire (30 AWG or finer) do the trick?