Cloning for multiple builds ?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Rocky5

Re: Cloning for multiple builds ?

Post by Rocky5 »

skeletor64 wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:
skeletor64 wrote:Drives 3 and 4 just completed, impressive speeds for the cloning, but the F drive was not cloned properly. All of my F drive content was missing, and all of my G drive was intact. It didn't handle the partition sizes correctly. Byte by byte is definitely the way to go.
Any details?

The cloning code is identical for the F and G partitions.
( so if one clones so should the other )
Finally took a look at the other drive. Weird results. After booting it up, It did not partition my G drive at all. What it did though was take all of the content that was Originally on G (basically all xbox backups) and put it on the F partition. All of the stuff that is normally on my F, Emus, music, etc were not copied at all. So my drive looked like a 1 TB and if you were to look at the partitions in system settings. Had to run chimp again to split evenly, and now I have both partitions at the right size and correct clusters, but have to FTP everything over. I'll stick with byte by byte. At least I don't need to even have my PC on for that.
Thanks for the explanation, I don't have any 2TB drives to test and compare, but I will see about increasing the byte by byte clone speed.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

skeletor64 wrote: Weird results. After booting it up, It did not partition my G drive at all. What it did though was take all of the content that was Originally on G (basically all xbox backups) and put it on the F partition.
@Rocky5:
Comparing https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/b ... in/cloneab
with
https://github.com/ldotsfan/chimp261811 ... er/cloneab

Code: Select all

*G*) 	dd if=$SRC bs=1 skip=240 count=32 seek=240 of=$TARGET 2>/dev/null ;
			dd if=$TARGET bs=512 count=1 2> /dev/null | hexdump | grep "0000 8000" | awk '{ if (NR == 6) print $5 $4" "$7 $6; }' | while read POFFSET PSIZE ;
NR should be compared against 7 for G partition instead of 6.
Ldotsfan :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

ldotsfan wrote:
skeletor64 wrote: Weird results. After booting it up, It did not partition my G drive at all. What it did though was take all of the content that was Originally on G (basically all xbox backups) and put it on the F partition.
@Rocky5:
Comparing https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/b ... in/cloneab
with
https://github.com/ldotsfan/chimp261811 ... er/cloneab

Code: Select all

*G*) 	dd if=$SRC bs=1 skip=240 count=32 seek=240 of=$TARGET 2>/dev/null ;
			dd if=$TARGET bs=512 count=1 2> /dev/null | hexdump | grep "0000 8000" | awk '{ if (NR == 6) print $5 $4" "$7 $6; }' | while read POFFSET PSIZE ;
NR should be compared against 7 for G partition instead of 6.
:oops: thank you, not sure how I missed that.

Will fix that and commit the changes and sorry to skeletor64.

Updated and committed the change.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

No apologies necessary, thank you for your continued hard work on this program. I look forward to seeing the revision when it becomes ready.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

skeletor64 wrote:No apologies necessary, thank you for your continued hard work on this program. I look forward to seeing the revision when it becomes ready.
It's ready, it got committed to my GitHub about 5 mins after I found out I messed up.

Just redone load the master zip and you will ha e the latest version, or alternately just redone load the initrd.gz file.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
shloader

Post by shloader »

skeletor64 wrote: That is great info, and yeah 11 hours beats 80 lol.
Yeah, I did all three in about 36 Hours. Seeing that time estimate in Chimp a few weeks ago made me do my research. No offense to you at all, Rocky, that's fine work. I just didn't have that kind of time to dedicate my lab box to that. I had other hard drives of various sizes to grow when I did my first 2TB-to-2TB clone a few weeks ago.
skeletor64 wrote: So you are doing it all PC side correct?
Not entirely. I have a 1.0 lab box that has a Xenium chip and the Unique HDD Key is Zeroed. I use it to re-lock the drives after cloning. While I used to use that chip's onboard OS for locking, I tend to just use Config Magic. So all you really need is a TSOPed box with any custom firmware and zero that Unique HDD Key.
skeletor64 wrote: I assume you just unlock the master and the slave of course and run off the PC, then re-lock using original xbox hdd? It's using the correct clusters etc? I'd love to try it.

mmm... no. I do a basic softmod on any xbox I work on at least to the point I can run config magic. Once inside config magic I immediately go though the process of zeroing the Unique HDD Key in the Eprom. I leave the original drives in a locked state and set the xbox aside.

As for the source 2TB drive I'm using I grew that drive in my lab box. It's only ever been momentarily locked, confirming the model could work in a softmod if I wanted to. It started by cloning one of my 8GB drives to it using the Xenium OS. I could have used Chimp, either way the next part would be the same. Next I used XBpartitioner 1.3 to partition and format the drive with an even split on F & G. XBpartitioner has been very solid on never locking up on me and proper cluster size. From there, XBMC, some apps, a 215GB CoinOps on F, and about 1.5 some odd Terabyte of games and we have a 2TB Source drive after some 60+ hours of FTP transfers. I sometimes place it in my lab box to add anything I find interesting. When I clone, I just put its little Sata-to-USB3 bridgeboard back on it and connect it to my PC. After cloning I take the target drive and lock it in my lab box then place it in the recipient Xbox. So long as I'm cloning to something with an identical sector count the results are an exact duplicate.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

Thank you for spelling out your process, it's definitely giving me a lot to think about. I haven't used configmagic (at least not yet) so pardon my ignorance. I gather that it allows you to basically change the hdd key on all your target boxes, and you are leaving those systems softmodded? I understand that your source drive is unlocked being on a TSOP build, and you just simply pop the cloned drive in your lab box, lock it and take out, put in target box and rinse/repeat?
shloader

Post by shloader »

skeletor64 wrote:Thank you for spelling out your process, it's definitely giving me a lot to think about. I haven't used configmagic (at least not yet) so pardon my ignorance. I gather that it allows you to basically change the hdd key on all your target boxes, and you are leaving those systems softmodded? I understand that your source drive is unlocked being on a TSOP build, and you just simply pop the cloned drive in your lab box, lock it and take out, put in target box and rinse/repeat?
That's it precisely. Config Magic is essentially just an eprom editing tool with good safeguards. It won't let you edit your eprom while your hard drive is locked, and it won't let you lock your hard drive while you're still editing. As for TSOP it's actually not that hard. I hear a conductive pen will work but I just use a piece of 24awg wire to guide the solder between the two points. After that it's a simple matter to convert a soft mod to a full TSOP hardmod. And it helps to have the latest HeXEn 2017 disc.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

Are you using the Ndure splintercell softmod, I was reading up a little bit on config magic and it said something about not having virtual eprom.
shloader

Post by shloader »

skeletor64 wrote:Are you using the Ndure splintercell softmod, I was reading up a little bit on config magic and it said something about not having virtual eprom.
Mech Assault has always been my exploitable game of choice, and I'm using something called Ultimate Xbox Exploit, or more commonly referred to as UXE. From what I've read it's considered rather dated in its method but I've kinda modified mine to fit my installs (more on that if ya really want). As for all the 1.6 boxes in my arsenal I'm going to leave them as softmods. Even the ones I've grabbed up that have modchips are going to have their chips pulled and converted back to softmods. All prior version motherboards are gonna get the TSOP treatment.

Yeah, I don't know how Config Magic would handle the existence of a virtual eprom but I'm not sure it's much of an issue with current exploits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the whole virtual eprom thing was to protect your box from becoming truly banned if you somehow connected to Xbox live after launching a game from a hacked state. No modern exploit does that since Live is a non-issue.

By the way, if you haven't got one already you should search (or google, if you will) 'Xbox Hexen 2017' for the most recent HeXEn disc. It has all the utilities someone might discuss, including Config Magic... and XBpartitioner 1.3. Though the version of Chimp it has is now obsolete.
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

shloader wrote:
skeletor64 wrote:Are you using the Ndure splintercell softmod, I was reading up a little bit on config magic and it said something about not having virtual eprom.
Mech Assault has always been my exploitable game of choice, and I'm using something called Ultimate Xbox Exploit, or more commonly referred to as UXE. From what I've read it's considered rather dated in its method but I've kinda modified mine to fit my installs (more on that if ya really want). As for all the 1.6 boxes in my arsenal I'm going to leave them as softmods. Even the ones I've grabbed up that have modchips are going to have their chips pulled and converted back to softmods. All prior version motherboards are gonna get the TSOP treatment.

Yeah, I don't know how Config Magic would handle the existence of a virtual eprom but I'm not sure it's much of an issue with current exploits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the whole virtual eprom thing was to protect your box from becoming truly banned if you somehow connected to Xbox live after launching a game from a hacked state. No modern exploit does that since Live is a non-issue.

By the way, if you haven't got one already you should search (or google, if you will) 'Xbox Hexen 2017' for the most recent HeXEn disc. It has all the utilities someone might discuss, including Config Magic... and XBpartitioner 1.3. Though the version of Chimp it has is now obsolete.
I have the 2017 HexEn CD. It's a life saver for sure. Just a quick question. I know your lab box is TSOP modded, but all the boxes you are dropping the drives in, are they all TSOP also, or are you leaving them as softmods? I had 1 TSOP go bad on me trying to bridge the points. I think i'll just use some wrapping wire to be on the safe side on my next attempt. I did install 2 Aladdin chips on 2 boxes with dead Hard drives...Did that with no problem, you'd think i'd be TSOPing more lol.

Rocky - Your last update/fix works great. Both F & G are formatting properly.
shloader

Post by shloader »

skeletor64 wrote:I have the 2017 HexEn CD. It's a life saver for sure. Just a quick question. I know your lab box is TSOP modded, but all the boxes you are dropping the drives in, are they all TSOP also, or are you leaving them as softmods? I had 1 TSOP go bad on me trying to bridge the points. I think i'll just use some wrapping wire to be on the safe side on my next attempt. I did install 2 Aladdin chips on 2 boxes with dead Hard drives...Did that with no problem, you'd think i'd be TSOPing more lol.
When I TSOP I use a piece of 30awg wire to kinda 'guide' the solder between the two points. Sometimes it gets stuck before I pull it away but if the joint looks clean I'll just snip it off. Soldering iron alone can do it, but it seems to work a whole lot faster, and since we're talking heat, safer using the wire trick. I really want to commit everything I do to videos. Maybe I'll make a YouTube channel. 81BrokenXboxes. As for TSOP, every viable non-1.6 board in my inventory is going to get the TSOP treatment as I pull their clock caps whether I upgrade the drive or not
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Adding my two cents. For bridging, I use a very light amount of flux, then add solder to the iron and drag it across the write-enable points. I personally find it easier than maneuvering a wire in between the points. To each his own I guess. I then use Hexen to flash the bios to iND-BIOS (typically). This happens on every box unless it's a 1.6 in which case it's just softmodded using a version of SID5 I modified. No shadow C or eeprom or anything like that. My version of SID5 has configmagic included and it's always my very first step before doing anything.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
shloader

Post by shloader »

GoTeamScotch wrote:Adding my two cents. For bridging, I use a very light amount of flux, then add solder to the iron and drag it across the write-enable points. I personally find it easier than maneuvering a wire in between the points. To each his own I guess. I then use Hexen to flash the bios to iND-BIOS (typically). This happens on every box unless it's a 1.6 in which case it's just softmodded using a version of SID5 I modified. No shadow C or eeprom or anything like that. My version of SID5 has configmagic included and it's always my very first step before doing anything.
No doubt. Anytime flux is used properly the results are always better, and it's suggestion is always good advice. I simply find wire-guiding to be a little more handy in my situation since I can use the same wire repeatedly after I shape it, and the only flux I have on hand is paste which is more appropriate for the higher gauge wire soldering I normally do (speaker cabs, automotive, occasional guitar). Also I'll be the first to admit I'm no soldering god by any imaginable stretch... or I'd chip my spare 360 myself. My comfort zone is reached at putting a pin-header on a 1.0-1.4 but I need simply will do no more 1.6 boards unless it's a no-lose scenario regarding a hard drive key.

I do something similar to what you do with your SID with my HeXEn disc; added a C.rar & E.rar in a CustomFiles folder and re-wrapped the disc so I have my own tailored take on a softmod ready to go. I don't know if SID uses UnleashX also but I really like its ability to handle RAR files.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

You're saying you use it temporarily and then remove it and use it again later? Hey whatever works! I've heard of people using plain pencil lines to make the connection. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Or... there's more than one way to bridge two points on a cat. You get the idea.
shloader wrote:My comfort zone is reached at putting a pin-header on a 1.0-1.4 but I need simply will do no more 1.6 boards unless it's a no-lose scenario regarding a hard drive key.
What do you mean "regarding a hard drive key"?
shloader wrote:I do something similar to what you do with your SID with my HeXEn disc; added a C.rar & E.rar in a CustomFiles folder and re-wrapped the disc so I have my own tailored take on a softmod ready to go. I don't know if SID uses UnleashX also but I really like its ability to handle RAR files.
Yup SID is based on UnleashX. It's alright for simple scripting but doesn't allow for much logic. It's super easy to theme and modify. :)
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
shloader

Post by shloader »

GoTeamScotch wrote:You're saying you use it temporarily and then remove it and use it again later?
I should've clarified. I used the same piece of 18awg with a tiny little tinned L bend in the end to guide the solder flow. I lift the wire away just before the iron and it leaves the points bridged. It's just a cheater method I came up with that helps me work with my less-than-steady hands.
GoTeamScotch wrote:What do you mean "regarding a hard drive key"?
I've been handed 1.6 Xboxes that somehow got separated from their original hard drives cuz some redneck got his hands on it and then gave up on it. In one case someone used an already aged hard drive for an upgrade on a 1.6 board and regretted it. In both cases I chipped them with one of my Xenium ICE spares and zerofied the hdd key. Worked out. Hate doing it, though. I was better at it when I was a ten years younger.

As for TSOPs I've only done half a dozen of them. But I've got at least 40-50 systems in my basement that are 1.0-1.4 that are gonna get the TSOP treatment. My methods will certainly evolve over time... prolly involve using that flux paste somehow if it makes it easier.
immune

Post by immune »

I have just read the thread and have a few questions if you guys dont mind:

1. Are the Softmods on the Hexen 2017 ISO " actual Softmods " or are they older ones?

2.If not then where to get an actual Softmod Exploit using Splinter Cell or 007?

3. When i use Config Magic to zero the Eeprom does this mean that the Box will read every HDD or do they have to get zeroed too?? (a little bit confused about the eeprom in general)

4. Could you please describe further to process of doing your cloning using the HDD Raw tool. A Scenario: My PC boots from SSD and i want to clone two xbox IDE drives to have to connect them both to the pc one jumpered to master the other to slave like in chimp and select to drives to be cloned? Is it as easy as that

Thanks in advance
shloader

Post by shloader »

immune wrote:I have just read the thread and have a few questions if you guys dont mind:

1. Are the Softmods on the Hexen 2017 ISO " actual Softmods " or are they older ones?
As I understand it, they are pretty much the final versions of their respective exploits. Can't say for certain. I do know you've got the latest hdpartitioner 1.3 (no more lock-ups) and xbmc4xbox on it, a wide gamut of bioses available in their stock state regarding dash paths, and some other under-the0-hood apps.
immune wrote:2.If not then where to get an actual Softmod Exploit using Splinter Cell or 007?
Mech Assault user myself, using a fairly dated UXE exploit but it uses PBL 1.4.1 (most important thing). I modded mine post install to shorten its whole process in that all softmod magic happens exclusively on C. Cuz of this I'm not up on anything that happens on more recent exploits.
immune wrote:3. When i use Config Magic to zero the Eeprom does this mean that the Box will read every HDD or do they have to get zeroed too?? (a little bit confused about the eeprom in general)
The latter. Lets say you have two v1.6 softmodded Xboxes in your house. You go through the motions in Config Magic to zero the Unique HDD Key on both consoles. With these two consoles you will now be able to swap their drives between the two, but not with another console that hasn't had this process done. Now lets introduce a third v1.4 console with a chip or TSOP mod and zero its Unique HDD Key even though you don't need the drive locked. This third chip/TSOP box is now capable of locking hard drives for the 1.6 boxes without the need of a computer with IDE ports.
immune wrote:4. Could you please describe further to process of doing your cloning using the HDD Raw tool. A Scenario: My PC boots from SSD and i want to clone two xbox IDE drives to have to connect them both to the pc one jumpered to master the other to slave like in chimp and select to drives to be cloned? Is it as easy as that
No need to worry about the whole slave/master jumper thing if you're connecting them via USB adapters like I do. I have no onboard IDE ports. I use a USB Hdd shell, IDE and/or Sata. SATA drives are easier because I will connect one internally to a sata port and one to a USB3 port via USB3toSATA adapter and clone drive to drive (even a 2TB clone only runs 12 hours). I only have one IDE USB drive caddy so in the case of cloning IDE drive to IDE drive I have to clone the source drive to an image file, then image file to a target drive. I've done my last IDE drive so... good there.

There are some obvious benefits and limitations to this process. First pro is, if you're using USB exclusively (I'm getting another USB3 Dock if I do anymore 2TB drives) then you need not power cycle your computer to accomplish this and since it's a simple windows app your computer ain't saddled down to the process. I play Far Cry while it does its thing. Second benefit is speed, though limited to 50MB/sec tops, is way faster than ANY cloning you can do internally on an Xbox. After cloning I just lock the drive in a lab box and place it into its final home.

Now the only limitation of this is that this is a direct 1:1 clone of the drive. Raw Copy does not create partitions in any way, just a byte for byte copy. So if you clone a 500GB IDE to a 1TB SATA then it's got 500GB usable space until you go into hdpartitioner and partition/format the rest of the drive. It should be said that this only works if you have one extended F partition on the source drive so you can create a G partition on the target.
immune

Post by immune »

Thank you for this clarification about the hdd keys
I only have one IDE USB drive caddy so in the case of cloning IDE drive to IDE drive I have to clone the source drive to an image file, then image file to a target drive. I've done my last IDE drive so... good there.
This is real interesting to me. Cause i have a couple 750GB IDE´s which i want to clone. So thanks again