xbox fraging after 15 hours of being on[1.0]

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Henning_B

xbox fraging after 15 hours of being on[1.0]

Post by Henning_B »

I was ftping to it, and had to leave for work, when i came home i tried rebooting it, and it has been fraging ever since.

it was recently modded with xblast lite, and i checked it wasnt the solder for the chip, any other ideas?
professor_jonny

Re: xbox fraging after 15 hours of being on[1.0]

Post by professor_jonny »

What version of xbox?
Will it boot the stock nand ?
Henning_B

Post by Henning_B »

1.0, and I have removed the chip, and still fragging
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

What is the LED pattern?
( as I'm guessing you don't get an error screen, since it's a v1 )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Henning_B

Post by Henning_B »

on off on off frag...
nin1

Post by nin1 »

What it frag?
nidge

Post by nidge »

nin1 wrote:What it frag?
If you mean what is frag? It's the LED Flashing Red and Green :)
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

I think the PSU is slowly dying. If it's a Foxlink PSU, I would check for cracked joints underneath it. It's the kind of issue you can get as the traces under the PCB heats up and restrict current flow.

This process can be slow enough to take a couple of hours if you're just on the edge of supplying enough current to the CPU. Once the heated joint passed a certain temperature threshold, the current restriction is so great the CPU isn't supplied with enough current and begin to give out all sorts of weird errors, like a FRAG. It's an assumption though.

Easiest way to verify this would be to monitor voltage rails (3.3V, 5V and 12V) coming out of the PSU after the box has been OFF for quite some time (as to make sure the PSU is at room temperature) to get a base reading and check those rails again after 15 hours, when the Xbox starts FRAGging. If voltage drops considerably (>100mV), you have found the problem!
It still doesn't make it 100% the PSU's fault as the issue could be on the motherboard itself (CPU?) but it'd give you a damn good indication why your Xbox FRAGs after such a long period of time.
Henning_B

Post by Henning_B »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:I think the PSU is slowly dying. If it's a Foxlink PSU, I would check for cracked joints underneath it. It's the kind of issue you can get as the traces under the PCB heats up and restrict current flow.

This process can be slow enough to take a couple of hours if you're just on the edge of supplying enough current to the CPU. Once the heated joint passed a certain temperature threshold, the current restriction is so great the CPU isn't supplied with enough current and begin to give out all sorts of weird errors, like a FRAG. It's an assumption though.

Easiest way to verify this would be to monitor voltage rails (3.3V, 5V and 12V) coming out of the PSU after the box has been OFF for quite some time (as to make sure the PSU is at room temperature) to get a base reading and check those rails again after 15 hours, when the Xbox starts FRAGging. If voltage drops considerably (>100mV), you have found the problem!
It still doesn't make it 100% the PSU's fault as the issue could be on the motherboard itself (CPU?) but it'd give you a damn good indication why your Xbox FRAGs after such a long period of time.
I own a dead 1.3,could I modify that psu?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Henning_B wrote:
psyko_chewbacca wrote:I think the PSU is slowly dying. If it's a Foxlink PSU, I would check for cracked joints underneath it. It's the kind of issue you can get as the traces under the PCB heats up and restrict current flow.

I own a dead 1.3,could I modify that psu?
Yes, you can rewire it and it will work. I saw some tutorial floating around but those were to use a 1.0 PSU in a 1.2-1.5 Xbox. Reversing the steps should get you going. Be very careful when rewiring the power supply, mixing up voltage rails could end up frying your motherboard beyond repair.
I would do the test I explained in my previous post before doing this though. As I said, maybe it is not the PSU at all and you just have a bad board.
xboxmaster

Post by xboxmaster »

Hi had same problem with my xbox v1.0 i was thinking about a possible bios problem the worst, but the problem was the power supply bad voltage faulty power supply i change the power supply no more frags like new. :D
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

bad caps ?