Open source Xbox Live project (update Jan 8 2017)

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Wanted to share this cool piece of news with you all. TheFallen93 revealed that he's made some promising strives towards getting the original Xbox's online capability back up and running! It's by no means finished, but this is exciting news. Here's a small snippet:
I have been working on this on an off for a little over a year now. Collectively I have spent 6 solid months doing reverse engineering and programming to make this happen. [...] There are NO modifications to the dashboard running on the development console, no patching, no bypassing security checks, nothing. All of the code I have written is 100% compatible with the code the console runs, for both devkits and retail consoles. The network code is the same between the two. There are no private keys that are used in the xbox live code, so this will work on completely unmodified retail consoles as well, provided I have the needed keys to decrypt kerberos tickets (hdd key, online key, etc). All of the kerberos and SG replies are authentic, there are no replays, no spoofing data, nothing hacky. This is simply a test of the connection to the xbl server. For a full account sign in there is more work needed for the online services.
More info: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/ope ... ost-928275
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Dom DXecutioner

Re: Open source Xbox Live project (update Jan 8 2017)

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Thanks for sharing; awesome news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

[removed]! thank you sir!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

I don't know but is this really worth it? Vast majority of multiplayer games support System Link (unlike those modern ones today) and can be linked together using that... Adding system link capability to Xbox One games would make much more sence...
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Tom M. wrote:I don't know but is this really worth it? Vast majority of multiplayer games support System Link (unlike those modern ones today) and can be linked together using that... Adding system link capability to Xbox One games would make much more sence...
The point of this is to offer an online service that gives you your own username, friends list, and messaging same as how it used to be when the original Xbox had Xbox Live. Keep in mind, this whole concept is ONLY for original Xbox and has nothing to do with Xbox One games. This is a means of letting people play games online on a console where playing online is no longer supported.

Hopefully this project is more popular and easier to use than Xlink kai. Xlink was kind of a pain at times to use.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great project , Xlink Kai is or was still useable on old XBMC builds , I think it was a Spanish site still using it for online gaming , sure I saw a post on here about it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

Xlink Kai still works and it does not depend of the XBMC version.

https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

You only need a PC running it.

There are more complicated ways to run it, but not necessary: you need a router with DD-wrt runing the Kai engine, and and older XBMC version wich has the Kai front end. This way you dont need a PC.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
simbin

Post by simbin »

cashonly wrote:Xlink Kai still works and it does not depend of the XBMC version.

There are more complicated ways to run it, but not necessary: you need a router with DD-wrt runing the Kai engine, and and older XBMC version wich has the Kai front end. This way you dont need a PC.
I saw a post about this, except the person was using OpenWrt. Any detailed information about how to set this up? Personally, I like the idea of not having to run an app on my PC to use XLink Kai.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I forget which XBMC front end Xlink Kai was dropped on but you just need one of those builds , I think it's posted on the threads somewhere , I'll have a look :-)

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

simbin wrote:
cashonly wrote:Xlink Kai still works and it does not depend of the XBMC version.

I saw a post about this, except the person was using OpenWrt. Any detailed information about how to set this up? Personally, I like the idea of not having to run an app on my PC to use XLink Kai.
Here you go

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4538

GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

simbin wrote:

fwiw, it's more convenient to use a pc than xbmc. I played around with this a while back and it wasn't worth it imho. I guess I didn't like having to quit out to xbmc to change game lobbies then having to load up the game again. That's just me though. Xbmc removed xlink support in ver 14099, so the build right before that would be a good one to get if you want to play around with it.