XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

law56ker

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by law56ker »

I appreciate the help, it's been very long since i modded my xbox, maybe a decade almost.
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Hi Guys, I have just bought a ide to sata board and it works fine with a 2.5" 640gb Samsung drive using both a 40 & 80 wire ide cable. The issue I have is I bought a 1tb 3.5" drive and I now get error code 9 at boot up. I have tried cable select & master on the board with no luck and 40 & 80 wire ide. I put the 2.5" drive back in and thats fine.

IDE - Sata converter
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-s ... to-ide-m-b

1tb HDD
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-wes ... 64mb-cache

I also tried and old 80gb 3.5" samsung sata drive and that give me the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

BigJon wrote:Hi Guys, I have just bought a ide to sata board and it works fine with a 2.5" 640gb Samsung drive using both a 40 & 80 wire ide cable. The issue I have is I bought a 1tb 3.5" drive and I now get error code 9 at boot up. I have tried cable select & master on the board with no luck and 40 & 80 wire ide. I put the 2.5" drive back in and thats fine.

IDE - Sata converter
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-s ... to-ide-m-b

1tb HDD
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-wes ... 64mb-cache

I also tried and old 80gb 3.5" samsung sata drive and that give me the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon
If two drives are giving you this error, then its more than likely the adaptors fault.
(Error 9 is an uncommon error and its to do with the HDD)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Thanks for the reply matey... I was thinking that myself but was hoping someone might of had another idea.

Anywhere in england I can get decent ide to sata adapter?

Thanks

Jon
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

BigJon wrote:Thanks for the reply matey... I was thinking that myself but was hoping someone might of had another idea.

Anywhere in england I can get decent ide to sata adapter?

Thanks

Jon
Best bet is EBay, it's where I got mine for a couple quid.
(Was in the UK, so only took a couple days to get to me)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162162760018
Last edited by Rocky5 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Thanks again..

Jon
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Rocky5, got that board and the xbox will now see the drive, thanks very much matey.

Now to set it up correctly :-)

Jon
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this tutorial.

Now have a WD Red 2TB in my chipped V1.6 Xbox crystal.
The HDD works beautifully, it's as fast as the IDE HDD that was in there previously and a plus with the WD Red drives is that they operate with less heat.
Used Slayer's disc V3.3 to prep the drive and then xbpartioner 1.3 to resize and format F: and G: correctly.

The only hassle was getting the cable mess to fit so I could put the top case on and screw it in place.

Uses this adapter bought on Ebay and SATA extender.

Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
xman

Post by xman »

Can you not plug the sata adapter directly onto the HDD?.
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

xman wrote:Can you not plug the sata adapter directly onto the HDD?.
Yeah, would have if I had long enough 80pin IDE cables.
And these SATA/IDE adapters are quite big and brittle so I didn't want to risk breaking because it's a tight fit between the HDD and the HDD cradle.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Seagate Barracuda Green 2tb confirmed working with this adapter:

The machine is an Xbox V1.1 Tsop'ed with Evox M8.67 bios.
Used Slayer's V3.3 disc to build the drive.

Used round IDE cable with the protective sleeve removed

Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
McMuffin

Post by McMuffin »

I got mine working.
What I have
• v1.6 Xbox w/ mod chip (duox2 gs)
• Seagate ST2000DL003 http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_ba ... t2000dl003
• 80pin IDE cable
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Would be nice to see how you folks did your cable management before closing the lid :D
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
SVCGames

Post by SVCGames »

Amigaz wrote:Would be nice to see how you folks did your cable management before closing the lid :D
Where did you get that 80 pin IDE cable? Mine is way too long between motherboard and DVD but too short from DVD to HD
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

SVCGames wrote:
Amigaz wrote:Would be nice to see how you folks did your cable management before closing the lid :D
Where did you get that 80 pin IDE cable? Mine is way too long between motherboard and DVD but too short from DVD to HD
Bought a couple of these circa 10 years ago at a local computer shop here in Sweden, round IDE cable.
I removed the all the rubber isolation from it.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

GTRetro87 wrote:So ..

Here's where I'm at now..

G drive shows nothing in XBMC, and when I FTP into it, only a few drives show and G is missing. However, with the slayers disc in, both F and G show as 995 GB available - AND G is available when I FTP into the Xbox when slayers running.

So this is what I did..

1) I created a folder (called in "A" like xman) and I just copied a random file already in the HDD that is 1.8k in size

2) Then I copied that file into the "A" folder. (I actually put the same folder and file in F drive as well, just to see what would happen)..

3) NOW, after rebooting back into XBMC, I checked my files and the G drive now shows - and both F and G are at 949 GB.

4) I booted up XBPartitioner 1.3 and both partition sizes were at the same (927.78 GB).. so i figured to reduce each drive by 1 GB.. format it, and rebooted the entire xbox - THEN i went back into XBP and UP'ed both drives BACK to 927.78

(I had tried to reformat the partitions in XBP before reducing the size of each partition.. but it made no difference in XBMC, G was still there - so that told me if you don't format with a different partition size than the last time you formatted, no change will happen at all).

5) so after reformatting back to 927.78.. I rebooted and back into XBMC.. G drive went missing - which told me that both folders in F and G were erased, yet G is still unrecognizable by XBMC (or the version slayers 2.7 provides - which yes, I have to update to the new XBMC) - In addition, by FTP'ing into XBMC at this point, G is also unrecognizable (again)

6) after this, I popped in Slayers 2.7 disc.. F and G show 995 GB (surprisingly..?).. then I FTP'd into the xbox.. G drive shows.. copied same folder and 1.8K file to G..... and now XBMC shows the G drive

sorry for all of that, but I find this stuff very interesting. I'm still not sure why both F and G show as 949 GB when they should be 927 GB.. weird

I guess this means that it's good to go????
Did you happen to use IND BIOS on this Xbox? i'm experiencing the same problem on an Xbox v1.2 tsope'd with IND-BIOS 5003.67.
Never had this problem with Evox M8 bios'es.

Used Slayer's V3.3 to format and built the 2tb drive and then xbpartioner 1.3 to cluser the F and G drive.
When I boot into Xbmc drive F shows fine in the file manager, drive G is there without any size and when I click on it it get a message it's "invalid" something ...
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

Sorry to hijack but is 2tb the theoretical limit or can you go bigger?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
xman

Post by xman »

Amigaz wrote:

G drive shows nothing in XBMC, and when I FTP into it, only a few drives show and G is missing. However, with the slayers disc in, both F and G show as 995 GB available - AND G is available when I FTP into the Xbox when slayers running.

So this is what I did..

1) I created a folder (called in "A" like xman) and I just copied a random file already in the HDD that is 1.8k in size

2) Then I copied that file into the "A" folder. (I actually put the same folder and file in F drive as well, just to see what would happen)..

3) NOW, after rebooting back into XBMC, I checked my files and the G drive now shows - and both F and G are at 949 GB.

4) I booted up XBPartitioner 1.3 and both partition sizes were at the same (927.78 GB).. so i figured to reduce each drive by 1 GB.. format it, and rebooted the entire xbox - THEN i went back into XBP and UP'ed both drives BACK to 927.78

(I had tried to reformat the partitions in XBP before reducing the size of each partition.. but it made no difference in XBMC, G was still there - so that told me if you don't format with a different partition size than the last time you formatted, no change will happen at all).

5) so after reformatting back to 927.78.. I rebooted and back into XBMC.. G drive went missing - which told me that both folders in F and G were erased, yet G is still unrecognizable by XBMC (or the version slayers 2.7 provides - which yes, I have to update to the new XBMC) - In addition, by FTP'ing into XBMC at this point, G is also unrecognizable (again)

6) after this, I popped in Slayers 2.7 disc.. F and G show 995 GB (surprisingly..?).. then I FTP'd into the xbox.. G drive shows.. copied same folder and 1.8K file to G..... and now XBMC shows the G drive

sorry for all of that, but I find this stuff very interesting. I'm still not sure why both F and G show as 949 GB when they should be 927 GB.. weird

Did you happen to use IND BIOS on this Xbox? i'm experiencing the same problem on an Xbox v1.2 tsope'd with IND-BIOS 5003.67.

Used Slayer's V3.3 to format and built the 2tb drive and then xbpartioner 1.3 to cluser the F and G drive.
When I boot into Xbmc drive F shows fine in the file manager, drive G is there without any size and when I click on it it get a message it's "invalid" something ...
Using XBMC's filemanager go to the G drive and hit the small white button on the controller to bring up the context window and now create a sub folder like Movies in the G drive. Put something inside this newly created sub folder and you will be good to start using your G drive. You can delete the sub folder if you wish once you have used it once. You are good once it has worked once.
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

xman wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

So this is what I did..

Using XBMC's filemanager go to the G drive and hit the small white button on the controller to bring up the context window and now create a sub folder like Movies in the G drive. Put something inside this newly created sub folder and you will be good to start using your G drive. You can delete the sub folder if you wish once you have used it once. You are good once it has worked once.
I already tried that :-(
When I click on the G drive I get an error message like "invalid drive" or something similar.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
xman

Post by xman »

If you are getting "invalid path" you may not have G drive selected in the Ind bios settings maybe?. Does the G drive show up in the EvoxDash or another app?. Ideally if you have another HDD with both F and G drive, ( doesn't matter what sized drives F and G are on it), as long as it is unlocked, the bios should pick it up and see both F and G drives and this test will prove the bios you are using is indeed set up correctly. By the way, when you put a sub folder in the G drive as I suggested earlier to get the G drive to "mount", you do also need to put some content, ( it can be any size or type), inside this sub folder to get it to work. Don't just create a sub folder on it's own. When the G Drive needs to be "mounted", the sure way to prove this " mounting" is required is G drive will appear in the XBMC filemanager but will display 0 GB as it's size. Once it is mounted it should display about 927GB in the G Drive if it is clustered correctly. Any big variation larger that 927GB is indicating you buggered up the re-clustering process. If none of this works I would re-cluster the G drive again using XBPartitioner 1.3.

GTRetro87 wrote:

This is correct. If you don't alter the size either manually or hitting the B button to rotate threw the selections and re-clustering that size, no re-clustering will occur.